S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

New stereo in wife's S2000... what to expect

Old 02-11-2019, 09:26 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Default New stereo in wife's S2000... what to expect

After running about one year with no CD capability, just received from Crutchfield a Kenwood KDC-BT958HD to install. Wondering what to expect when I dive into this, my first stereo installation since, hmm, 1993 or so. Pitfalls?

They did send a link to installation instructions, plus I bought their wiring harness, a Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Adapter, and paid them to wire up using their Crutchfield ReadyHarness Service, and some trim-panel removal tools. Moreover, just got the Modifry DCI widget. Am I missing anything?
Old 02-11-2019, 10:05 AM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't think you can use the Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Adapter and the Modifry DCI at the same time.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:23 AM

Thanks and I think this is the wrong forum, should have been in the S2000 Electronic forum, not Library (Electronics).
Old 02-11-2019, 12:27 PM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

You didn't say if you are upgrading speakers as well and what year car it is. The speakers in the early S2000s are really poor and you'll probably want to upgrade them as well. Depending on the speaker you choose, you may need to add spacers so the window glass doesn't hit the speaker magnet. Other than that, there were no surprises for me when I did the upgrade in my MY00.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:56 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Nice choice going with Crutchfield, I love dealing with them. Their wiring harnesses are very simple to use, you just need a few butt connectors and you are done. I just did a double din touchscreen pioneer head unit in my Integra and I absolutely love the change. A little modernization in older Hondas is always a great way to perk up the interior.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2007... i upgraded the head unit myself as well. I went the same route with crutch got the head unit and the Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Adapter. I also paid to have them wire the harness which was a waste as well because i ended up re doing it myself.

For me the Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Adapter half way worked not all the controls worked like mute and chnl buttons... so in the trash it went.

So here is what I did in short.... bought a Sony head unit from crutchfeild, the modifry DCI Adapter Harness, the modifry SCV Wiring Kit (wanted it to auto volume up and down based on my speed) and the DCI for Sony + Pioneer.
I soldered and heat shrunk the wiring harness from modify. checked my dip switch on the DCI.... plunged it in and it all worked. Modifry kicked ass made the install easy.

now onto the SCV...Which this is totally optional but I did have to program the DCI for the auto volume based on the speedo to work and I also have to tap into the speed sensing wire on the passenger side dash. (not to hard just use a Posi-tap Connector)

As far as the speakers sound with the new head unit it brought the speakers to life. I did try the infinity and the jbl door speakers but ended up putting the stock ones back in because i think its sounds better. (better mid tones) when at high volume with top down....

it will still lack bass though but the new head unit will make it sound better for sure.

if u PM me ill give you my number and discuss more...

Old 02-11-2019, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by shrykhar
I don't think you can use the Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Adapter and the Modifry DCI at the same time.
I may find this true when I dig into it; have not read the instructions from Modifry or Crutchfield.

Originally Posted by DanielB
You didn't say if you are upgrading speakers as well and what year car it is.
2007. No speakers for now, but if this works well and she wants replacement, I have no objection. Her hearing is finer than mine, she's the musician in the household not me (50+ years on piano, now she has incurable Stage 4 Jimmy Page fever and is learning electric guitar). Her commute is short but finds radio unrewarding these days and wants to play discs!

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Nice choice going with Crutchfield, I love dealing with them.
I've used them multiple times but the last time was so long ago, they might not have had a website, all ordered from a print catalog.

Originally Posted by ap2wot
So here is what I did in short.... bought a Sony head unit from crutchfeild, the modifry DCI Adapter Harness, the modifry SCV Wiring Kit (wanted it to auto volume up and down based on my speed) and the DCI for Sony + Pioneer.
I soldered and heat shrunk the wiring harness from modify. checked my dip switch on the DCI.... plunged it in and it all worked. Modifry kicked ass made the install easy.
All that sounds daunting -- let me try to digest that.

Last edited by tiger1964; 02-11-2019 at 03:06 PM. Reason: .
Old 02-13-2019, 03:37 AM

MODERATORS, can this thread be moved to the "Special Interest", "S2000 Electronics" sub-forum please? Thanks!
Old 02-13-2019, 11:30 AM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

The Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Adapter and the Modifry DCI basically fulfill the same purpose. Modifry also sells pre-made harnesses for major head unit brands (Kenwood, Pioneer, etc) - I would use that instead of the Axxess ASWC-1 and the Crutchfield harness.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:22 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ap2wot
I have a 2007... i upgraded the head unit myself as well. I went the same route with crutch got the head unit and the Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Adapter. I also paid to have them wire the harness which was a waste as well because i ended up re doing it myself.

For me the Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Adapter half way worked not all the controls worked like mute and chnl buttons... so in the trash it went.

now onto the SCV...Which this is totally optional but I did have to program the DCI for the auto volume based on the speedo to work and I also have to tap into the speed sensing wire on the passenger side dash. (not to hard just use a Posi-tap Connector)

As far as the speakers sound with the new head unit it brought the speakers to life. I did try the infinity and the jbl door speakers but ended up putting the stock ones back in because i think its sounds better. (better mid tones) when at high volume with top down....

it will still lack bass though but the new head unit will make it sound better for sure.

if u PM me ill give you my number and discuss more...

Why so much work with the modifry unit?

It should be a simple job, Tiger. Here's a super simplfied rundown: Remove old headunit, unplug; plug one end of modifry to new head unit and the other to the OEM loom, put everything back together. If you ordered the modifry with the SCV, just locate the wire and tap. Check Modfiry website for writeup, DIY threads for pics and youtube for vids. Enjoy your new HU.

Quick Reply: New stereo in wife's S2000... what to expect