S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Nuvi GPS and Ipod Neo - one month later

Old 06-24-2006, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nuvi GPS and Ipod Neo - one month later

I purchased my 2006 S2000 about 6 wks ago, traded in my Boxster S, and love the car. This forum helped with my purchase decisions so I wanted to share my experience with navigation and Ipod issues. For navigation, I chose the Garmin Nuvi 350 which I got at Best Buy. I posted pics earlier of the install with the suction cup mount on the dashboard. I got the power cord permanently installed and it's worked great. It was an easy 30 minute install at Best Buy. I just clip it into the cradle and it powers up, powers down when the ignition is turned off. It has an MP3 player which I would have loved to use instead of the Ipod if it were configured better, but alas not. The only way to get the audio output to the HU is to plug a wire into the the headphone jack, which is an additional hassle if you want to hide your expensive toy often. It also does not allow playlists or organizing MP3s into folders (or albums). The Nuvi software also turns off the MP3 player every time the unit powers down and it only restarts when you manually do so, which was not acceptable to me. Overall I'm really happy with the Nuvi. The 3D navigation is great, software is friendly (better than my Eclipse!). The small screen is surprisingly adequate.

I bought the Neo and an Ipod ($500 for both). The Neo works great without any delays when advancing to the next song. It does not however allow you to switch playlists from the HU, which other interfaces claim to do. You use the Ipod by selecting the playlist on the Ipod itself, stowing the Ipod, then you can skip or backtrack within the playlist using the HU or dash controls. The Neo has an aux input (RCA jacks) to allow another audio source. You have to unplug the Ipod to enable the aux input. I chose to stow the Ipod in the pockets by the passengers knees, where it's not visible but accessible. This set up works OK but I'd rather have an easier way to navigate thru MP3 menus. Maybe a future Nav unit will have good Nav and Ipod-like features?
Old 06-24-2006, 11:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the update.

I am still very tempted to get a Nuvi, but I don't want to deal with storing the unit every time I park. Last thing I want is someone to slash my top and steal my $700 gps!
Old 06-25-2006, 06:08 AM

While this isn't a surprise, USA Today ran an article on car theivery on Thursday. Summed up it noted GPS and iPods are the top two things stolen from cars. California and the Midwest were the top areas for theft.

It also noted car and car radio theft is down due to manufacturer security.

Stealth installs are key! My dream GPS would be one that fits on the inside of the radio door. That is, you open the door, and it folds out as part of the inside instead of the black plastic card holder. It would be upside down when the door is closed. I suspect it's just a matter of time until some boffin on this board does this!

GPS prices are falling so fast. I wouldn't be surprised to see the $300 mark for quality units by Christmas. I'd be more inclined to jump on the GPS bandwagon once the prices get to a more fathomable replacement cost. It's a I don't want to put anything in my car I couldn't easily afford to replace thing.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by an_other,Jun 25 2006, 06:08 AM
While this isn't a surprise, USA Today ran an article on car theivery on Thursday. Summed up it noted GPS and iPods are the top two things stolen from cars. California and the Midwest were the top areas for theft.

It also noted car and car radio theft is down due to manufacturer security.

Stealth installs are key! My dream GPS would be one that fits on the inside of the radio door. That is, you open the door, and it folds out as part of the inside instead of the black plastic card holder. It would be upside down when the door is closed. I suspect it's just a matter of time until some boffin on this board does this!

GPS prices are falling so fast. I wouldn't be surprised to see the $300 mark for quality units by Christmas. I'd be more inclined to jump on the GPS bandwagon once the prices get to a more fathomable replacement cost. It's a I don't want to put anything in my car I couldn't easily afford to replace thing.
I've seen single DIN HU's with 3.5" letterbox TFT screens for playing music videos. Eventually they will have them with Nav. I disagree that the S2000's DIN space is the best place for Nav tho. It's way too low to try to look at a screen while driving. I tried putting my Nuvi there and it was very awkward and hard to use. I guess Honda was thinking that since there are dash controls for the audio, they can put the HU out of the way. Not much consideration for us technophiles and audiophiles!

I agree with "keep it out of sight" stragegy. This is why my ipod is in the passengers "knee pocket", where it is virtually invisible, tho difficult for me to switch playlists. The Nuvi is in the door pocket or under the seat when parked in high risk areas.

I saw that pioneer and "Mio 710" have Nav units similiar to the Nuvi, but still don't have the "Ipod-like" Mp3 capabilities.

Surprisingly, navigation systems haven't really gotten much cheaper in the last few years, just better. Ten years ago I bought a pocket GPS for hiking for about $100. They're still about the same price.