S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Electronics (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-electronics-26/)
-   -   Passenger window does not work from driver or passenger door (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-electronics-26/passenger-window-does-not-work-driver-passenger-door-1186813/)

sexysilvers2000 07-25-2018 08:19 PM

Passenger window does not work from driver or passenger door

Hello fellow s2k members. I have been reading a lot of posts in regards to electrical issues with the passenger window. Mostly the discussions have been around the window lock (which I checked), bad fuses (checked and are good), and lastly the softtop switch fails along with the passenger window. My situation is different from the above due to my convertible top is operational, however, when I flip it down the passenger window does not roll down with it while the driver side does. I have checked the passenger side window switch with a multimeter and the wire to the right of the black is not reading 12 Volts like the other 3 wires. I ran the power master switch test and it basically tells me I have either a faulty passenger window switch, faulty power window motor, faulty convertible top control unit, bad ground, or open wire. How can I identify the true problem without buying all the above components that are very pricey! When I press down on the driver side switch or passenger side switch it makes a clicking sound from the convertible control unit but nothing happens. When I press up it makes no noise at all.. Can someone please help!?!?!https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...a596ea2862.jpg

Blue wire to the right of black shows 0 V
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...da3a0b4841.jpg

Passed all these tests
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...804a06f74d.jpg

Failed 13, 12, and 6

rokket 07-26-2018 12:53 AM

i don't know if this helps, but when i bought my car, the passenger window could roll down but not up. i didn't check it when i bought it but asked the previous owner. he told me to hold the passenger switch and master switch together to roll up.it worked together but not separately. so i bought a passenger switch on ebay. a no go. my son's friend told me to try buy a master or drivers side switch. nothing to lose and not too expensive on ebay. it worked. lol. true story!

rod

sexysilvers2000 07-26-2018 06:24 AM

Thanks for your story and I will try pushing both switches up at the same time to see if that does anything. I'm trying not to replace switches, motors, top control unit before identifying voltage through a multimeter. I'm hoping someone on here can provide electrical schematic/tests to perform on the passenger side/convertible top control unit of the vehicle.

SneakyS2K 07-26-2018 03:50 PM

I think I have a PDF of that circuit on my home computer I'll check it when I get home.

Best way is to eliminate the possibilities, start with window motor, does it operate with direct power. Something like this:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/attach...river-side.jpg

If the motor works then to switches, I forget how they're wired, but by shorting the contact that switches on both sides and the window doesn't move, you probably got a controller issue, if it does move you got a problem with a switch. If I can find that schematic I can give better toubleshooting ideas, I'll get back to you.

oth 07-28-2018 06:59 AM

Here are the relevant diagrams from the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual:
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...fb4abeb530.jpghttps://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...4c1416db0e.jpg

sexysilvers2000 07-31-2018 02:31 PM

Thank you for the electrical schematic! You're my hero :) away on business travel but this is very helpful!!

sexysilvers2000 08-02-2018 09:13 AM

Update: Applied direct power to the passenger side window motor and it did not operate. I have ordered a new regulator/motor and should arrive end of next week! Thanks for all the help :)

oth 08-02-2018 09:39 AM

Hey, just took a look at the schematic and more importantly the connector terminal view which I hadn't posted - the
passenger's window motor has two cavities/wires -
harness RED/BLU to motor BLU/WHT: Window up +12v
harness RED to motor BLU/RED: Window down +12v
Motor is apparently grounded to the door rather than through a wire, which is not obvious from the schematic alone.
Just wanted to make sure you tested the motor this way.

sexysilvers2000 08-02-2018 02:55 PM

That's how I tested from the schematic you sent. I conformed there is power coming from the switch into the motor but the motor does nothing which suggests the motor is bad. I am hoping everything I tested was correct!

oth 08-02-2018 05:57 PM

sounds like it, I was just making sure because the terminal view makes it much more clear what each wire's purpose is.

TsukubaCody 08-02-2018 06:38 PM

I wish I'd seen this earlier. I have a bnib psgr window regulator I'd have sold you. I bought one for my car only to find it was a different issue .

sexysilvers2000 08-02-2018 07:44 PM

It has not shipped yet.. I could see if I can cancel the order? How much you asking for it?

sexysilvers2000 08-02-2018 07:47 PM

Can you post the terminal view so I have for future reference?! Much appreciated!

oth 08-02-2018 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by sexysilvers2000 (Post 24495483)
Can you post the terminal view so I have for future reference?! Much appreciated!

It'll take me a few days because I'm traveling, but basically the only info in the view was in my earlier post (which wire color corresponds
to up/down and that they are both +12v)

sexysilvers2000 08-10-2018 10:26 AM

Update: just received my new regulator/motor and my switch can now operate the window, however, when I release the down switch it automatically rolls up. It will not stay in a down position which makes sense why the motor burnt out. Has anyone had experience with their window UP circuit always in the on position? Any ideas how to fix this?!

sexysilvers2000 08-25-2018 06:42 PM

I have now replaced the driver master window switch, passenger window switch, AND soft top control unit. Only my passenger down switch works; driver window works from driver side but passenger window does nothing. The passenger window still instantly rolls up after releasing the down switch from the passenger side. Any suggestions on what to do next?! I am very close to ordering used wiring harnesses to see if it eliminates the issue... someone please help :)

oth 08-25-2018 09:23 PM

Behind the left kick panel is the connector for the wires coming from the drivers door -
if there was a short, most likely where the wires pass through the door, there certainly
could be unpredictable results, like the window up wire being powered all the time.
I'd unplug the connector and check for continuity (there shouldn't be any) between the
window up wire (blue/red) and certainly the passenger switch power wire (red/white),
but possibly any of the other wires.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...1a92bf0e23.jpg

sexysilvers2000 08-26-2018 08:12 AM

Do you have a diagram of which connector belongs to the window. Is it a connector that goes into the ECU looking box?

oth 08-26-2018 10:05 AM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...d61422c69a.jpg

sexysilvers2000 08-26-2018 01:59 PM

Sorry but can you provide clarification on what the C codes mean? I appreciate all the help oth! If you are an electrical person and wouldn't mind me calling you to talk through things I'd definitely really appreciate it!

oth 08-26-2018 05:19 PM

I have only modest electrical knowledge, but I do have the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual which is very useful.
In the context of this manual, "C" just means connector. On the wiring diagram they list the
connector number, and then two further references - a photo of its location, and the map of
the connector cavities ("terminal view") showing which wire is in which location and its purpose.
If you separate the male & female side of the connector you should be able to easily test with
a multimeter. When you described the passenger window rolling up without any switches pressed,
it seems likely there is +12v on the "window up" wire, so I'd try to figure out if it is powered
when it came from the drivers's door (with no switches pressed it shouldn't be). If the blue/red (cavity 15
on an AP1) has power, then you need to figure out where it's getting it - remove the key or disconnect
the battery so nothing is powered, and use the multimeter in ohms mode to check continuity between the
blue/red and red/white - reading should be near infinity - there should be no connection between these
wires without the switch being pressed. But ultimately any wire that carries +12v could be shorted to
it, doesn't have to be a power window wire.
If I'm reading the wiring diagram correctly, the female side of the of the connector leads to the door,
and the male side leads to the convertible top module.

oth 08-26-2018 05:41 PM

Here's the passenger window motor connector terminal view, promised long ago but forgotten.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...99f75f9d26.jpg

sexysilvers2000 08-27-2018 01:16 PM

Looks like the attachment never uploaded. Please re-upload :)

oth 08-27-2018 02:03 PM

That was strange, when I edited the post, the image was there, but when I previewed, it disappeared.
deleting the image and reuploading worked.

sexysilvers2000 08-27-2018 03:06 PM

Weird still isn't showing up

oth 08-27-2018 07:10 PM

shows up when I view it, whether I'm logged in or not, on both Firefox and MS Edge browsers. Anybody else? this post

Proto 08-28-2018 06:03 AM

Window regulator

Testing message

Proto 08-28-2018 06:09 AM

Passenger Window regulator click noise every 5 secs

Originally Posted by Proto (Post 24504793)
Testing message

hello guys, im running the same issue, but mine is stuck down. I already tried the basics and even the hold bottom to reset the module and make it work,

i noticed that every 5 secs, a click noise comes from the panel(possible regulator). I also noticed that the regulator is really warm, like if its overheated from being used(possible fault signal coming from the driver side). Im still doing testing

i will be ordering a new window regulator but first I'm experimenting possibilities

oth 08-28-2018 07:53 AM

If you turn off the passenger "child safety" switch on the driver's side, does the clicking stop?

Proto 08-28-2018 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by oth (Post 24504853)
If you turn off the passenger "child safety" switch on the driver's side, does the clicking stop?

Yes, it is like if my driver side is telling the passenger window to stay down and it overheats the regulator cylinder.
**Update**

my passanger side switch is responding to "up and down" commands and the car does act like the switch is absorbing power whenever is pressed but unfortunately the window regulator is not reaponding. Time for a new one i guess

oth 08-29-2018 11:30 AM

The child safety switch on the driver's door supplies +12v to both the up/down switch on the driver's door, and to
the switch on the passenger's door.
When you select up or down from either switch, +12v is sent on the appropriate up or down wire to the convertible
top controller, which in turn sends +12v on either the up wire or the down wire to the window motor.

Each of you seems to have a problem where a wire is powered all the time, though for one of you it's up and the other
it's down.

The possibilities are:
  • a bad switch in either door
  • a shorted wire between either switch and the convertible top controller
  • a shorted wire between the top controller and the window regulator (motor)
  • a bad top controller
A bad window regulator by itself seems like it can't be the problem as if it's not getting any power,
it can't raise or lower the window. Of course if it doesn't work at all it could have been killed by the
other problem, but replacing it won't solve the underlying problem.

My guess is that the problem lies in the wiring harness as it passes through a door, because opening
and closing the door stresses the wires to some degree.

sexysilvers2000 08-30-2018 05:17 PM

I have figured out how to eliminate the passenger window from always rolling up by buying a new passenger door wiring harness, however, my driver side switch still does not operate the passenger window? I bought a new wiring harness for the driver side as well to rule that out.. not sure if my new master window switch is faulty?? I can power the passenger window motor up and down from the driver side if I supply direct power to the wiring harness by hardwiring #4,12, and 13 together. Thoughts?? Need another new master switch? No clicking/electrical activation is heard when hitting passenger switch from driver side..

sexysilvers2000 08-30-2018 06:18 PM

Tried to upload a video but wouldn't work. Took the master switch circuit apart and it is definitely faulty. Ordering a new one.. fingers crossed!

sexysilvers2000 09-04-2018 03:56 PM

YAYYYY finally figured it all out!! Received the new master window switch and all is good! Thanks everyone for all the help!!! :)

sexysilvers2000 09-04-2018 04:01 PM

Proto, I could sell you my driver side wiring harness to plug into your kick panel and see if the problem goes away? Otherwise, take apart your window switch and inspect the circuit board. Mine had a wire soldered and to another circuit for some stupid reason! You may need a new master window switch. I bought one off ebay for $45. Dont buy from B and R wrecking as they sold me a faulty switch already.