S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Rear Speaker Wires.....Where and How to?

Old 08-29-2005, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Speaker Wires.....Where and How to?

I've been told that there are wires behind the panels in the rear, so it's easy to hook up rear speakers. I heard from another that they're behind the small panel next to the drivers side right knee. I see the harness when I get under the steering wheel, but I don't see any EASY way to get the wires. I didn't notice the wires in the back when I took the panels off, but I didn't look to hard. I have the speakers, the panels, everything all set, I just need to hook up the speaker feeds. Can anyone help me out in getting this done?

Thanks so much
Stainbow1
Old 08-30-2005, 09:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Download instructions for the headrest speakers, and it will show where the connector for the rear speakers is located -- it's up under that side panel near your knee as you mentioned.

Do a search -- there are threads where the wire colors are identified too (in fact, I asked that question recently and got some good replies).

Craig
Old 08-30-2005, 11:55 AM

PM me your email. I send you a digital copy of the Honda Repair manual. It should contain the wiring diagrams for the wiring harness. Just yank the radio, and there should be some wires that look like they are cut off. (I think this is how Honda put the wires in the AP2). They put the wires into the harness, but clipped them behind the dash somewhere. Just find the rear channels from the diagram and trace the wires to their ending point. Solder the new wires on (covering with shrink wrap), then run to speakers.

John
Old 08-30-2005, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by jwa4378,Aug 30 2005, 03:55 PM
PM me your email. I send you a digital copy of the Honda Repair manual. It should contain the wiring diagrams for the wiring harness. Just yank the radio, and there should be some wires that look like they are cut off. (I think this is how Honda put the wires in the AP2). They put the wires into the harness, but clipped them behind the dash somewhere. Just find the rear channels from the diagram and trace the wires to their ending point. Solder the new wires on (covering with shrink wrap), then run to speakers.

John
No! The 04-05 models already have a rear speaker harness. You don't even need to pull the radio. The rear harness is tucked behind the driver's side console panel. They did this to accomodate the optional headrest speakers.

Craig
Old 08-30-2005, 04:07 PM

No! The 04-05 models already have a rear speaker harness. You don't even need to pull the radio. The rear harness is tucked behind the driver's side console panel. They did this to accomodate the optional headrest speakers.
Isnt that what I said? That they were already plugged into the harness, and tucked behind the dash? I recommended pulling the HU so he could find where the wires dead end.

John
Old 08-30-2005, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by jwa4378,Aug 30 2005, 08:07 PM
Isnt that what I said? That they were already plugged into the harness, and tucked behind the dash? I recommended pulling the HU so he could find where the wires dead end.

John
There's no need to pull the radio at all -- the rear speaker harness is already very accessible. Pulling the radio would make this into a lot more difficult project than it needs to be. And I was not sure what you meant about the wires being "clipped". The rear wires come off the radio harness and terminate in a connector. Just remove that console panel down near the driver's right calve (one screw and it pulls off) and the harness is tucked in there, with a connector on the end. The install instructions for the headrest speakers show more details on this.

I looked in my notes, and the wires in that rear connector are as follows:

RED/YEL R+
BRN/WHT R-
BLU/YEL L+
GRY/RED L-

CRaig
Old 08-30-2005, 06:08 PM

I told him to pull the radio because he already popped the panel near the knee and couldnt find them. I sent him to the source, to trace the wires, incase they got put in another location, somehow...

It is more work in the AP2 to haul the HU out, because of the built up center console, which must be moved in order to remove the radio door cover, then its just 4 screws.

I am assuming he mean the knee panel when he said he opened it up and didnt see anything.

The rear wires come off the radio harness and terminate in a connector.
I thought they were just stubs, so you would not have to buy the harness for new wiring. You have an AP2, though, so I will take your work for it.

John
Old 08-30-2005, 06:22 PM

What a bunch of us need is for someone to come up with a supply of the male side of the 4-pin connector that's taped up under there (by the driver's right knee). I've got an extra one of the female connector that's there already, and when I'm in a town that has a real electrical supply place, I'll go searching. Meantime, all you can to is to either (a) clip off the connector and splice the speaker wires on or (b) stick soldered ends or small spaced into the connector.

At least the AP2s have those wires with the connector, though. Taking out the HU involves removing lots of trim. Ycch. HPH
Old 08-30-2005, 06:32 PM

I think Mark (the guy who makes the S-pods) has some. He sells the harness for like $15. Maybe he can supply only connectors?

John
Old 08-30-2005, 07:37 PM

That's not what he told me.

AFIK, the only way to get the male connector is to buy the headset speaker kit from Honda. The dealership knows of no separate parts numbers for the components to that kit; various other possible sources don't have it either. That's why the soldered ends plugged into the existing (female) connector are about the only current solution. HPH

Quick Reply: Rear Speaker Wires.....Where and How to?