S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

rear speaker wiring

Old 06-04-2012, 05:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear speaker wiring

Ok, I'm new to the S2K1 forum. I'm trying to install rear speakers in my 2003 S2000. Lots of posts that say how easy it is, but NO instructions on connecting 4 rear speaker wires to the radio harness!!!!!! Anybody have a list of instructions?
Old 06-04-2012, 07:14 AM

id ask in the electronics sub forum.
lots of knowledgeable folks in there.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:43 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

of course it's easy. Piece of cake. but first, do you have aftermarket stereo or stock?
Old 06-04-2012, 09:45 AM

if you have a stock deck, its not going to work
Old 06-04-2012, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by S2KIrishman
if you have a stock deck, its not going to work
Unless you just hack into the wiring for the front speakers... Effectively giving you 2 Front Right and 2 Front Lefts...

However, this would work until you get an aftermarket head unit that supports rear speakers. Then you just run the speakers directly to the rear speaker wiring on the after market deck.

... then there is a Line Out Converter option... but that isn't the best option for what you're trying to do.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:54 AM

I thought the stock headunits did have rear speaker output... from what I remember, the oem harness just doesn't have the connections for it or something along the lines of that. In the first couple years of the S2000, Lucid sold a harness that let you easily connect rear speakers.
I believe it was..
LR + Blue/Yellow
LR - Gray/Red
RR + Red/Yellow
RR + Brown/White
or I'm just losing my mind...

But anyways, I wouldn't recommend using the stock headunit anyways. A cheap $100 headunit will sound 500x better and be easier to set up with rear speakers.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by franky
of course it's easy. Piece of cake. but first, do you have aftermarket stereo or stock?
I have a stock unit, sounds fine to me despite all the young 'uns out there that feel the need to "feel" the music from millions of watts of power!
Old 06-05-2012, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by S2K.Danny
I thought the stock headunits did have rear speaker output... from what I remember, the oem harness just doesn't have the connections for it or something along the lines of that. In the first couple years of the S2000, Lucid sold a harness that let you easily connect rear speakers.
I believe it was..
LR + Blue/Yellow
LR - Gray/Red
RR + Red/Yellow
RR + Brown/White
or I'm just losing my mind...

But anyways, I wouldn't recommend using the stock headunit anyways. A cheap $100 headunit will sound 500x better and be easier to set up with rear speakers.
I have had the stock headunit out looking for a place to "plug in" for the rear speaker output terminals, of course nothing is labeled. I have a set of rear speaker connectors I got from Ebay that are supposed to offer " a simple" rear speaker connection. Not!! If I must, I will buy a new radio, so my preferred "talk radio" format can get to a set of rear speakers, but, being a simple guy, I'd like to make this one work.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:58 AM

trust me...im an old head that doesnt "bump" his music and the stock headunit does not sound good...night and day difference...you dont need to have a lot of power and big speakers to make your music sound better...youre going to be missing out on a lot of sound quality keeping the stock headunit
Old 06-05-2012, 02:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by garyz
Originally Posted by franky' timestamp='1338828206' post='21752644
I have a stock unit, sounds fine to me despite all the young 'uns out there that feel the need to "feel" the music from millions of watts of power!
Here is the stock stereo wiring for the front speakers;
Left Front Speaker Wire (+): Green/Yellow
Left Front Speaker Wire (-): Gray/Red
Right Front Speaker Wire (+): Green/Black
Right Front Speaker Wire (-): Light Green

All you have to do is run some speaker wires along the center console or under the carpet to the back and hook up the wires. T tap the wires to the stock stereo wires and there you have it, rear speakers except it will be two left front speakers and two right front speakers. So when you upgrade your stereo, you can just wire up the rear speaker wires on the aftermarket stereo to your rear speakers.

Quick Reply: rear speaker wiring