S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

remove your rear deck for good

Old 10-11-2005, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remove your rear deck for good

Has anyone just removed the rear deck for good? much less rattle and the bass sounds much better. What's all the talk about there being no bass when the top is down? I have great bass with the top down n the rear deck off. i'm thinking about putting in a mesh where the deck was. Kind of like what VW uses for the sunscreen on the back deck of the passat. that way you can't see in but the bass still comes out. anyone know of any downsides to this? I never leave my car withthe top down in the rain so there's no problem there. discuss...
Old 10-11-2005, 05:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mines gone for good, mainly because I lost it after I took it off. Main down side is that you can see straight down into the area when the tops up. If you have amps or wires back there, it will be visible.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by revhi,Oct 11 2005, 05:04 PM
Mines gone for good, mainly because I lost it after I took it off. Main down side is that you can see straight down into the area when the tops up. If you have amps or wires back there, it will be visible.
do you like it better gone?

That's where the mesh comes in. i'm still trying to find this mesh i keep talking baout. anyone know where i can get one?
Old 10-11-2005, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SOunds 10 times better without the rear tray. Much less rattling also. Id recommend it if you can find the mesh to cover it.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:05 PM

what is the rear deck ??????????
Old 10-11-2005, 06:52 PM

Received 198 Likes on 137 Posts

Its the plastic bin the top sits in if I'm understanding this. Maybe instead of removing the whole bin, you could cut out the middle section and replace that with the mesh. I think someone around here drilled holes in his bin, too.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:33 PM

my supercharger installer removed the rear panel to get to the fuel system and never put it back on. since then i have added woofers and decided not to put it back just incase it rattles or what not. my ice installer put some black carpet back there to cover everything and it looks ok. no one can really ever see back there anyway....
Old 10-12-2005, 12:48 PM

i remember reading about this before..

but i always remember coming across that it scratch the glass of your rear window with the way it sits?? iono, i have plastic honestly..

but yeah, mine rattles with the bass and drives me crazy.. ill give it a shot..
Old 10-12-2005, 01:02 PM

the glass basically sits on nothing after you remove it.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:09 PM

Hmm...Maybe, instead of removing it, you can do like was mentioned above and just cut a pass through in it. This would let the pressure out, allowing the sound to travel and might reduce some rattles.

Also, you could dynamat the bottom of it.

As for mesh, you could go to lowes, or home depot, and get some dark screen material. Then just stretch it and attatch it to the back. This would, probably, give you the look you want, would leave something there for the glass to rest on and wouldn't impede the airflow.

Quick Reply: remove your rear deck for good