S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Is this safe to run?

Old 01-22-2004, 02:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so what system would be a better system without losing too much quality sound? I understand this is a convertible car and not build for sound. But i'm willing to pay the extra dallors to make the sound better. so what you guys think?

Focal 165v
Tarantula 500/4
JL audio 12W6V2

would this be a better choice?
Old 01-22-2004, 04:05 AM

See what your options are on the JL audio 12W6V2. There are better subs for less dough.

Other than that, your system is gonna be real nice!
Great speaker & Amp combo!
Old 01-22-2004, 09:09 AM

Received 97 Likes on 61 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LemonS2k
what if I change 2 700/2 tarantula to one 500/4 tarantula
that will give me 125 x 2 for the front and 400 bridged for the sub.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:32 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me chime in here....Ive been busy for the last couple of days doing a system actually.....

Yes I love Tarantula products, its no secret

So let me tackle your issues one at a time.

Speakers. I agree with Phil. The Utopias, while simply marvelous speakers, are a waste in an s2000. There is simply too much crap the s2000 gives off to let them shine. Exaust noise, wind noise, engine noise....too much. Half assing them doesnt help either. They would however run fine if you dont turn up the gains more than 45-55%. However, they are what I call a product for life. You can reuse them in another car later down the road, ala Phils ADCOM amp, and have miles and miles of clarity. If this is not what you are after and doing a system specifically for an s2000, I would look at speakers with simply more raw power. I would recommed the Phoenix Gold Ti6COMP Elite componets. Available from onlinecarstereo.com for a retarted 399 (special promotion), sounddomain has them for 749!

These speakers are phenominal as well, and will work great in an s2000.
The specs are
# Complete 6.5" Component System
# Power handling: 300 Watts RMS
# Ultra-thin mounting depth
# 3 inch voice coil
# Audiophile grade external x-overs
# Solid one-piece polypropylene cone/dust cap assembly
# Cast aluminum back plate heat sinck
# FEA optimized inner-radial
# Custom cast aluminum basket
# Midrange sensitivity: 89dB (1W/1M)
# 28 mm hand doped tweeter
# Tweeter sensitivity: 90dB

As you can see, power is not an issue, so you can run your spiders at full blast.

Now, the W7.....1 question......why??? Because someone told you its the best sub on the market....??? BS!
Unless you are getting one for UNDER 200 bucks, FORGETTABOUTIT! Look elsewhere. For power, I would get 1 tarantula 10" or 12" for $189 from etronics and never look back. That sub will outperform the W7 all day, and come back and do it again. If you want a top class sub, with the MAJOR BLING FACTOR, then look no further than the Phoenix Gold Ti12D Elite.

its a 1200 RMS subwoofer that performs better than it looks.

Its pricey, but much better than a W7.
As far as to the amp setup...depends on what you want. If you want block shattering bass, then get 2 700/2 and enjoy! If you want a great system without overdoing the bass, a 500/4 and 1 tarantula 10" will sort you just fine. All depends on what you are looking for. Also, are you doing shows...if so, 2 amps is the way to go...louder sound and louder look ...So thats my take on the situation. Let us know what your thoughts are.
Old 01-23-2004, 12:17 AM

Thanks for all your help! After all these I have decided, I'll go for Focal 165V2 front, Tarantual 500/4, MBquart component (from my previouse car for rear fill). But the question is... i can't decide on what subwoofer now.
with 400rms running to the sub. which is the best?

JL w3v2 (pretty cheap)
Phoenix Gold
Infinity
Element Design
Sound Stream Davinci
Diamand Audio
Image Dynamic
or Focal??

Can you guys give me a hand? I never heard any of these subs. except JL that I previously owned, and was pretty happy about it. I like Low bass, and hate tight sounding bass.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:21 AM
Former Moderator

I would do a tarantula, of a Davinci if you can get a deal. There is no need for anything else. My say goes to a 10" tarantula.

You do NOT want Focal, Image Dynamics, or Diamond as these are SQ woofers and are extremely tight bassed. The soundstream are great sq (not quite as accurate as the above) but go very low and have major SPL. So that would definenetly be the best choice for you.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:58 AM

Yeah, Davinci seems like a great sub, i just found out though, the only thing is, it requires a huge box. and 8 inch mounting depth (not enough room in the well).

What about Infinity, Element Design or Boston Acoustic?

Another question...can you briefly explain what is the difference in SQ and SPL?
Old 01-23-2004, 07:07 AM
Former Moderator

Ok. SQ is sound quality. These are the low wattage (300-500rms) subs that are extremely tight (accurate) and handle most "musical" low frequencies. SPL subs....are made for high Sound Pressure Levels......or very low frequency boomy bass. These subs can put out much lower frequencies which result in a louder sounding sub. They also are made stronger, with bigger magnets, as well as thicker surrounds. There are subs....albeit very few that can do both well. There are subs that do NEITHER well (W7 cough cough). DaVinci is overkill, especially if you only have 2 of the 4 channels powering it....I seriously recommend the 10" tarantula. It is not that big of a sub, can handle A LOT of power, and sounds fantastic. Infinity and Element are both SQ subs, and cant eat a lot of power. Never heard boston subs, but I would go with a well known sub producer that has been tried and true.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:35 AM

If you have 400 rms to the sub, get what I am getting
12w6v2. Its not pricey like the w7 but still handels 400 watts rms at 4 ohms, and I have listened to it and couple days ago sounded great to me. Well maybe great for my music preferance.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:51 AM
Former Moderator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AndyS2

Quick Reply: Is this safe to run?