S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Speaker help

Old 01-21-2015, 01:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did the same install. Bought a harness from amazon.
The harness needs to be cut and have an extension spliced on. The speakers come with extra wires.
The harness plugs to the oem plug, then routed a short distance through the door to where you mount the crossover.
The tweeters mounts perfectly in the stock location. There is a DIY writeup with all the pictures.
I left slack in the woofer and input wires so the next time you take the door panel off, you will have some room to work with.
I trimmed the tweeter wire to clean it up a bit.

For the crossover, I just loosen the screw, stripped the tip of the wires and slipped it under the plate and tightened it down.
Crossover mounted to the pocket shown in the DIY with couple strips of double sided tape.

I used the stock basket to mount the woofers. The spacers/adapters they come with fits, but does not shield against water. I used a drill and drilled a hole at an angle near the edges of the stock basket to fit the screws. (small screws provided with speakers) When you drop the woofer into the basket, you will understand what I am talking about. Connect your wires to the woofers before dropping the woofer into the basket and tightening the screws down because you wont be able to plug them up easily afterwards.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:51 PM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

DB6501 with included adapter ring and shallow foam baffles.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome answers taifei and fokker, exactly what I was looking for, and honestly the answer I was expecting.
So no known hurdles with the install. I will be ordering the speakers, foam baskets, and harness adapters in the next few days.
Then all I need some good weather....good luck with that!

Thanks again guys!
Old 01-24-2015, 10:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Little update. When I stuck the cross over on with double sided tape, I didn't prep the area too well and it bumped loose the first spirited drive I took. Might use the screws this time
Old 01-24-2015, 10:24 AM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by taifei
Little update. When I stuck the cross over on with double sided tape, I didn't prep the area too well and it bumped loose the first spirited drive I took. Might use the screws this time
Use this stuff: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Scotch-1-...1-DC/100575385

You can remove it without damaging the surface, but it holds very well.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fokker
Originally Posted by taifei' timestamp='1422127033' post='23480064
Use this stuff: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Scotch-1-...1-DC/100575385

You can remove it without damaging the surface, but it holds very well.

I use this on everything. And it has never failed me.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the comprehensive replies guys. I bought Polk DB651s. $70 with harness on Amazon. MacGuyver's walk through led the way and I was pleasantly surprised that the speakers fit snug inside the basket with no modification. It took about 90 minutes for both sides, all the pieces went back in the right place and I have music again. The speakers are a step above stock. Most noticeable on the freeway with the roof of because I can now hear the music. For the price well worth i and I'm looking forward to the next 240,000 miles
Old 02-12-2015, 09:13 AM

If possible could you link the speaker and harness you purchased?

Props to you and your S for surviving such a hard routine. Best of luck to both of you!
Old 02-12-2015, 10:07 AM
oth

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

I believe these are the speakers in question, but I will point out that they are only
suitable for pre-2002 cars (without the separate high-mounted tweeters)
Old 02-13-2015, 10:09 AM

The component version should also fit right?

Including the tweeters in the standard mounting area?

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-DB6...ds=polk+db6501

Quick Reply: Speaker help