S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Sub enclosure in passenger footwell?

Old 08-09-2001, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sub enclosure in passenger footwell?

Hi everyone,

I spoke w/ a local shop (w/ a good reputation) last week concerning my sub options. They offered to build a sub enclosure in the passenger footwell housing an 8-inch sub. They said it would take away only 5 inches since they're using fiberglass. They also said they are using fiberglass since it can be molded to the area, using space that cannot be utilized by a box.

They recommended a BA sub but I haven't check the specs.

I need your advice on this option. Who has experienced this set-up.

BTW, they quoted me $400 for the enclosure and install. Is that reasonable.

Thanks, Will
Old 08-09-2001, 11:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

$400 is reasonable for the install. The using a Boston Acoustics 8" sub will likely require the depth they quoted. The only issue I foresee though, is the functional loss of space in the foot well will exceed 5 inches. Make sure the sub is going to be installed at an angle to the far right of the footwell. This won't block the passenger side airvent, and should leave enough room for a 5'10 passenger to put their feet out.
Old 08-30-2001, 03:40 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2000inbigD
[B]Hi everyone,

I spoke w/ a local shop (w/ a good reputation) last week concerning my sub options.
Old 08-30-2001, 03:45 PM

Can you be a little more specific about this driver's side mounting location?
Old 08-30-2001, 03:54 PM

I went to an Car Audio place and they said the only place I could put a sub was behind either seat or take out the center console. The ones behind the seats they said would take up about an inch or two. For two 8's (one behind each seat) they quoted me at $500.
Old 08-30-2001, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by drogers
Can you be a little more specific about this driver's side mounting location?
I havn't had it done to my car yet. But the stereo guy I've used for years did it to another S2k, and I'm going to have it done to mine soon. (giving my bank account a breather after buying the car :-)

That's how he described it to me, I guess there's some dead space in there that he cut into, dynamatted, and mounted an 8" sub in... You're not by chance in the LA area are you? He could probably do it for you. Short of that I'd be happy to watch for where he puts it when I get mine done, but it'll be a little while.

Sorry it wasn't more helpful, but I do know it's possible, so find the space and check it out at least before you eliminate the passenger's leg room with subs.

Dinny
Old 08-30-2001, 04:32 PM

Yup, I'm in LA. Are we talking about between the floor and the firewall, or behind the drivers seat? Does this 'pocket' not exist on the passenger side as well? Do you know how much they're asking for the install?
Old 09-16-2001, 02:34 PM

Has anyone ever thought of a design similar to that of the Viper between the seats?HMMM
Old 09-16-2001, 02:36 PM

how bout under the seats?http://www.my2by2.net/verone/files/dub2.jpg
Old 09-23-2001, 07:46 AM

Hello fellow S2000 fans, I am kinda new to this but I was wondering if any of ou have examples of where you have mounted your amplifiers. The idea of putting the sub between the fire wall on the driver's side is great but I need a place to put the amp. I don't want to take up much space at all in my trunk and I want to keep my spare tire because I travel alot. Also any of your have advice on where to get realy good deals on audio equipment? Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: Sub enclosure in passenger footwell?