S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

2step options flames

Old 05-02-2017, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2step options flames

Dear, good evening.

The exhaust of my car dont flame when 2step actyon, only smoke of fuel withaut burn.
Could please check on table options below, if the values of rpm and ignition are corrects?

Waiting returns, thanks
Old 05-03-2017, 10:43 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Old 01-12-2021, 05:10 AM

Received 187 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by DiegoB16
Dear, good evening.

The exhaust of my car dont flame when 2step actyon, only smoke of fuel withaut burn.
Could please check on table options below, if the values of rpm and ignition are corrects?

Waiting returns, thanks
Lol, literally no one replied to you.

Is that on AEM EMS 1052? Is there a harshness setting (a place where you can enter a value between 1 - 10). It should pop flames since you set your ignition cut before your fuel cut.

I've heard that 2 step can be bad for the valve train. Excess heat has been cited as one of the concerns. Heat buildup in the exhaust would be caused by unburnt fuel igniting outside the combustion chamber (fuel cut after ignition cut) but that's basically how you get a flamethrower. I am unsure exactly what the "Retard Rev" setting on my AEM Series 2 does but my tuner set it to 12000 rpm. My harshness is set to 5 (the middle). fuel cut 4000 rpm and ignition cut 4000 rpm. It's fun! But I am thinking of increasing the rev limit by a grand. I don't drag race my S2000 so launching hard is not a goal but it does come in handy at the odd traffic light or two when someone challenges you That being said I'm thinking of increasing the limits so I don't have to use 2 step every time I intend to launch off the line but can still use it if I want so I'll leave it activated.
Old 01-13-2021, 06:14 AM
EOE

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

It's bad for your valvetrain.
It's destroys O2 sensors which after a while will literally sound like a broken bulb when you take them out of the exhaust and shake them.
I never use ignition cut when I tune.

"Engines with hydraulic lifters and/or heavy rocker or finger follower valve actuation systems as can be found in the Nissan SR20. Hydraulic lifters will pump up and hold the valves open if the valve is 'popped' back off its seat by pressure pulses in the exhaust manifold. In my experience honda usually exhibit quite a well thought out valve train that doesn't give trouble very often. It's possible the issue was related to something else so I'd be doing some more digging to ensure you get to the bottom of it. Generally unless I specifically need to for a drag application, I'll always favour a fuel cut rather than ignition cut.
- HPACADEMY.COM"

Old 01-14-2021, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by EOE
It's bad for your valvetrain.
It's destroys O2 sensors which after a while will literally sound like a broken bulb when you take them out of the exhaust and shake them.
I never use ignition cut when I tune.

"Engines with hydraulic lifters and/or heavy rocker or finger follower valve actuation systems as can be found in the Nissan SR20. Hydraulic lifters will pump up and hold the valves open if the valve is 'popped' back off its seat by pressure pulses in the exhaust manifold. In my experience honda usually exhibit quite a well thought out valve train that doesn't give trouble very often. It's possible the issue was related to something else so I'd be doing some more digging to ensure you get to the bottom of it. Generally unless I specifically need to for a drag application, I'll always favour a fuel cut rather than ignition cut.
- HPACADEMY.COM"
So how do you set your 2 step? If you don't mind sharing settings?
Old 01-14-2021, 06:45 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Dont setup 2 step, your just damaging your car
Old 01-14-2021, 05:07 PM
EOE

I tune Infinity so unsure with V2 however the way to do it on any ECU is to:

1. Don't cut fuel
2. Cut only spark
3. Ignition retard -10 and from there on try more and more

That might get you the pops and bangs you want.

It really comes down to that ignition retard/low ignition, thus changing when combustion is happening yet retaining fuel delivery. From there it's the engine type, exhaust and other variables that could increase/decrease how rad your 2-stepping is lol. I never do though.

P.S. I had roughly 100K on my NOVI1000 SC blower and I was testing out 2-step, with fuel-cut so not even ignition (which is more tight/harsh), and shortly after the SC bearings started to chirp. Again, I stay away from 2-stepping especially on SC cars.
Old 01-18-2021, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by EOE
I tune Infinity so unsure with V2 however the way to do it on any ECU is to:

1. Don't cut fuel
2. Cut only spark
3. Ignition retard -10 and from there on try more and more

That might get you the pops and bangs you want.

It really comes down to that ignition retard/low ignition, thus changing when combustion is happening yet retaining fuel delivery. From there it's the engine type, exhaust and other variables that could increase/decrease how rad your 2-stepping is lol. I never do though.

P.S. I had roughly 100K on my NOVI1000 SC blower and I was testing out 2-step, with fuel-cut so not even ignition (which is more tight/harsh), and shortly after the SC bearings started to chirp. Again, I stay away from 2-stepping especially on SC cars.
Ignition retard - 10? As in minus 10 or 10?

I do get pops and bangs now but no flames (I guess).
4000rpm ignition and fuel cut
Ignition retard rev: 12000 rpm (what exactly is this and why is it so high?)

Thanks for telling me about the blower! I am boosting with a Vortech soon. No play on my blower's shaft and it sounds good so all good to go there. Hey check this video out: reckon his blower is safe? I wanna do this every now and then I don't know how high he revved it though.
Old 01-18-2021, 03:59 PM
EOE

Ignition retard - 10? As in minus 10 or 10? - Say you're 2-stepping and ECU is showing 30degrees, the ignition retard option for two-step should allow to reduce/trim it. So say you now command a reduction of 10 (so reduce timing by 10 degrees (aka -10)), thus your ECU should now show a total of 20 degrees of timing. The lower you go the louder the bangs get but also more violent and damaging. Edit: You might have to keep increasing ignition retard until desired results are achieved.

I do get pops and bangs now but no flames (I guess). - Could be a combination of things, including engine design. You've mentioned below you have fuel cut enabled.

4000rpm ignition and fuel cut- Don't turn on fuel cut, use only ignition cut. You want fuel to continue to spray during 2-step. That's what creates fireballs.

Ignition retard rev: 12000 rpm (what exactly is this and why is it so high?) - AEM infinity calls it 'Rev Limit: Ignition Retard', so we're talking about the same thing I am almost positive. It's set to 12000rpm because that's how us tuners deactivate such feature, if there's no official 'off' checkbox that is. What this will do is reduce timing prior to rev-limiter. I configure this for people so they have time to shift as power output is reduced, say 200rpm before rev limiter. With that setup even if you hit the rev-limiter, you're doing so with less power, thus preserving the supercharger. Think of it as pre-limiter before you run into an actual fuel/ignition limiter.

Ignition retard rev limiters can be for 2-step or for rev-limiters. So you need to know what you're setting it up for. With 2-step, in your case, you'd be doing it for show/launch control. For Turbo guys ignition retard promotes higher exhaust temps, thus Turbo spool-up for launch-control. In rev-limit case you'd use it to safeguard the engine, supercharger and to help someone shift in time.
The following users liked this post:
RolanTHUNDER (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by EOE
Ignition retard - 10? As in minus 10 or 10? - Say you're 2-stepping and ECU is showing 30degrees, the ignition retard option for two-step should allow to reduce/trim it. So say you now command a reduction of 10 (so reduce timing by 10 degrees (aka -10)), thus your ECU should now show a total of 20 degrees of timing. The lower you go the louder the bangs get but also more violent and damaging. Edit: You might have to keep increasing ignition retard until desired results are achieved.

I do get pops and bangs now but no flames (I guess). - Could be a combination of things, including engine design. You've mentioned below you have fuel cut enabled.

4000rpm ignition and fuel cut- Don't turn on fuel cut, use only ignition cut. You want fuel to continue to spray during 2-step. That's what creates fireballs.

Ignition retard rev: 12000 rpm (what exactly is this and why is it so high?) - AEM infinity calls it 'Rev Limit: Ignition Retard', so we're talking about the same thing I am almost positive. It's set to 12000rpm because that's how us tuners deactivate such feature, if there's no official 'off' checkbox that is. What this will do is reduce timing prior to rev-limiter. I configure this for people so they have time to shift as power output is reduced, say 200rpm before rev limiter. With that setup even if you hit the rev-limiter, you're doing so with less power, thus preserving the supercharger. Think of it as pre-limiter before you run into an actual fuel/ignition limiter.

Ignition retard rev limiters can be for 2-step or for rev-limiters. So you need to know what you're setting it up for. With 2-step, in your case, you'd be doing it for show/launch control. For Turbo guys ignition retard promotes higher exhaust temps, thus Turbo spool-up for launch-control. In rev-limit case you'd use it to safeguard the engine, supercharger and to help someone shift in time.
That's a very insightful reply! Thanks a lot man

Makes much more sense now. I don't really want to mess with the 2 step setup by my tuner (AP1 Chief) but like others I am curious how it works which inevitably leads to playing with settings. One thing I'll note though is the reason why I'd like to increase its activation rpm limits: one day some enthusiastic bikers pulled up alongside me praising my S2K for being fast and then asked to race. I said you'll win on acceleration but went ahead just for fun... my 2 step kicked in as it was supposed to but it prevented me from getting a better launch off the line because from 4000 rpm when I dropped the clutch it lost ~1500 rpm (I'm guessing the number here) and that left me way out of VTEC. I felt that if I could have revved up to 5500 rpm or 6 grand max I would have gotten a better launch. That made me think I should increase the 2 step limiter beyond where I can control launch rpm and only use it if I really want/need to.

Quick Reply: 2step options flames