S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

AEM ems/tuning

Old 10-12-2011, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM ems/tuning

So I have been reading about bolt-ons "coming to life" once an s2000 is properly tuned. What does it mean to properly tune your car? I hear of stand alone ECUs like AEM ems that are used to tune a car. I have an Ap1 so I am certain any version of flashpro applies to me. I feel like such a noob but I really have no idea how or what "tuning" really does or how it works
Old 10-12-2011, 10:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

AEM EMS or similar allows for the air fuel ratio, timing, vtec etc to all be tuned and adjusted to make the car perform better etc.
Talk to a local tuner for costs etc. Flashpro is for 06+ s2000's so they do not apply to you. Can use Haltech, Kpro, AEM EMS etc.

If interested in an AEM EMS let me know. I have a couple for sale right now brand new.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the AEM ems is a plug and play 'stand alone engine management system'

that means it Replaces the stock ecu completely (unplug stock, plug aem, upload correct program; done).
comes with all the software, basemaps for many applications (technically you can use it on any car if you wire it up correctly).

it Directly controls all fuel injectors, ignition coils, and has multiple outputs for extra injectors (2ndary injectors) or engine with more than 4 cylinders. no tricking the stock ecu monkey business.

it datalogs (with or without a PC using internal memory and conditions that you can set), displays real time data, has 16inputs for aftermarket sensors and additional information to log and display ie EGTs, CHTs, Widebands, and extra outputs for triggering based on engine conditions ie nitrous, boost control, meth/water injection, shift/vtec lights.

it has a plethora of other functions like stepped rev limiters (based on mph, clutch switch, etc), traction control, gear display and triggers (will figure out what gear youre in based on speed and rpm)

it has open/closed loop functions and will learn and give feedback like the stock ecu except you can control the exact AFR for each condition. It will react to knock. you can recalibrate the stock sensors.

all this is programmable with the software which anyone can download off AEM's forum. the aem logger exports into excel and other forms so that it can be analyzed quickly and combined with external software for other uses.

will control a stock car to a highly modified one. it doesn't really care and will do whatever it is programmed to do; only what it is programmed to do. it's limitation is mainly the tuner.

that being said, EMS are generally not street legal, expensive upfront cost (although the aem is very competitively priced compared to other systems), expensive to tune (dyno tuning is about $150-200 an hour), eTuning ("consulting") is much cheaper but you should have basic proficiency with the software and tuning and you will be doing work/logging data on your own. tuning can cost as much as the unit itself or more depending on your setup. everything is a lot cheaper if you are knowledgeable enough to do it yourself

http://articles.evans-tuning.com/wp-...Comparison.pdf
http://articles.evans-tuning.com/2011/03/17/tuning-101/
http://www.importtuner.com/powerpage...s/viewall.html
Old 10-13-2011, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW! thanks guys, that was really helpful! I didn't know that EMS was not street legal, generally speaking. Also, the unit seems be expensive and then u still have to get it tuned, which could cost as much as the unit did? Amazing! well I guess I gotta do more research. All I really want is for my car to run smoothly and maybe lower vtec about 1k rpm.