S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

Aem Ems v2 starting issues

Old 04-17-2019, 11:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aem Ems v2 starting issues

Hello s2000 community. I bought a Aem Ems v2 for my ap1 s2000, so far I have an hks single, 70mm test pipe, 3" inch intake and 70mm tb with a ported intake manifold and it idles bad. I scheduled a day to get on a dyno with my tuner and it doesn't want to start. I was told it was broken so I sent it to AEM and everything checked out fine, no flaws. I dont understand what is wrong with my ecu, my tuner put in another aem ems v2 and it started up and from my understanding it should be plug and play. I plan to go with hondata kpro since that is what my tuner prefers and I want it to function like oem. Has anyone else encountered this problem? any kind of help would be appreciated.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:27 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Since you mentioned you were working with your tuner, I assume they went through the map, calibrations and parameters between the 2 units you tested to ensure they were the same? Otherwise, it'd be an apples to oranges comparison without validating that both have the same maps/calibrations/values.

What did your tuner say is/could be the problem? They should have the experience to at least point you in the right diagnostics path.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He didn't go over the 2 ecu calibrations and values, he just told me its broke so I sent it to AEM. it turns over but it doesn't actually start and runs the car but it does read all the sensors and uploading calibrations works. I called AEM and was told the ap1 supercharged base map should start the car but no luck.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:00 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If I were you, I'd go back to square one. Depending on how the EMS was set up before, you need to start fresh and validate that all the sensor calibrations are accurate and values are reading accurately.

If your tuner didn't even take a look at the parameters on there, I'm skeptical about his feedback - without knowing more context it just sounds like he doesn't want to troubleshoot it (which is their prerogative). AEM's feedback helps support that theory. You either need to find a different tuner or start from scratch. But no, that's not normal.