S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

Downside to Reflash?

Old 09-15-2013, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Downside to Reflash?

Sage S2k'ers:

I am curious to know if there are any downsides to getting a reflash for an otherwise stock car.

Does this exacerbate the clutch delay/ heavy flywheel issue, as most shifts will occurr in VTEC?

Does this dull the top end seat of the pants rush?

Just curious to know if anyone preferred the stock calibration on a stock car.

Many thanks!

Zelig
Old 09-15-2013, 03:59 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

No downside to Flashpro other than the cost. I have exhaust and high flow cat, otherwise stock. After getting dyno tuned, I would say there is less rev hang between shifts. Still not quite on par with my AP1 but it is noticeably improved. It doesn't dull top end at all. You pick up a little power everywhere and you will see some nice mid range gains, especially if you put a high flow cat or test pipe on even with stock exhaust. Don't use the generic "stock tuned" map, get it dyno tuned by someone who knows what they are doing or get an E-tune by either Gernby or Evans.

I have not seen any negative feedback for Flashpro ever. Plus you can read/reset ODBII codes and if you ever decide to mod the car, it can grow with you even up to forced induction.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:59 PM

Thanks for the advice on flashpro and tuning. There is a dyno shop within an hour or so from here.

Also happy to hear that there is no loss in top end surge with the increase in midrange.

I had hoped to save the 300$ and just get a reflash, but almost all the archive threads advise to go flashpro and dyno tune.

I am probably keeping the whole car stock (I tend to over- mod my cars without sensible planning of what I hope to gain), but would like to lower the VTEC point to keep me there in upshifts.

The only other mod I am considering is replacing the ghastly head unit on the stereo...

Thanks!

Zelig
Old 09-16-2013, 07:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The benefit from a FlashPro tune when you have the stock catalytic converter is very small. However, if you find it irritating how VTEC engages so abruptly, you might enjoy the ability to lower VTEC to ~5600 and raise the rev limit to 8500 for a smoother experience. However, if you replace the stock cat with an HFC, test pipe, or one of my mid-pipes, you'll get MUCH better gains.

BTW, I charge $99 for NA FlashPro Tunes.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:36 AM

Thanks! Good to know...
Old 09-17-2013, 08:32 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If I had flashpro and an N/A car, I would just get an e-tune from one of the reputable tuners on this forum and be done with it. The tune will probably be just as good if not better than a dyno tune from whoever happens to be closest to you.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:11 AM

This is good to know (about the etunes)- and less money than a full dyno tune. I as unaware they were so precise.

Thanks, Gents!
Old 09-22-2013, 06:43 AM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zelig
This is good to know (about the etunes)- and less money than a full dyno tune. I as unaware they were so precise.

Thanks, Gents!
I encourage you to read my review on Gernby's e-tune. Link: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/103...#entry22643138

I then encourage you to buy an HFC/testpipe/Gernpipe and get a Gernby e-tune. Best mod I've done on any car in my life. He knows his stuff.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Syn
I encourage you to read my review on Gernby's e-tune. Link: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/103...#entry22643138

I then encourage you to buy an HFC/testpipe/Gernpipe and get a Gernby e-tune. Best mod I've done on any car in my life. He knows his stuff.
Thanks!
Old 12-27-2013, 06:01 PM

to Gernby. I have an 08 CR and I have done an full t1r exhaust, flash pro, hondata intake spacer, supertech black nitride flat top valves with retainers and springs, okada coil packs, and a short ram intake. Other mods I have are innovative engine and tranny mounts and diff mounts. Looking for a tuner that will do very fine tuning with my flash pro via data logging. I am very new with computers and data logging also. are you up for the task. PM me. oh also fresh bottom end with less than a 1000 miles on it. stock bottom. and head and intake manifold is port matched to the hondata gasket.

Quick Reply: Downside to Reflash?