S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

KTuner Tune

Old 04-20-2016, 07:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default KTuner Tune

As a quick catch up MY 06, Paxton 1200(SOS), could not pass readiness codes and I wanted to go to the 3.4" belt, gave the car to Wadzii to re-tune and pass inspection using FlashPro. Well Wadzii drove the car for 2000 miles and could not get it pass either. He suggested I go to KTuner
http://ktuner.com/0609s2000/
and promised the codes would go away. I did and the codes did go away. Now before you ask I do not know how they went away. Did he go through the proper driving cycles and they cleared or were they just cleared. Messing with the EPA is tricky so KTuner is not saying or advertising that codes are not an issue, I want to be clear on that. I asked Wadzii, I asked Kenny(KTuner tuner), and you do not get a straight answer. More what they said is that Hondata, being a Cally based company, is more sensitive and more stringent with their software regarding readiness codes. Hence K-Tuner does NOT have a button that simply clears readiness codes.
While in Wadzii's shop he did note that my 1000cc ID injectors were in, what some people call an unsafe, non tunable zone, the 95% range. He suggested that I go to a Radium boost referenced regulated fuel surge tank. I did. Running Aeromotive 340 Stealth fuel pump in the tank and a AEM 340 fuel pump in the Radium.
Wadzii tuned it and it seemed okay for the winter months, only short rides and one autoX. Then shit started to do south, bad AFR numbers both lean and rich! Lean on the low end and rich on the high which of course is possible but did not make sense.
I did not want to go back to Wadzii for a lot of reasons, one his dyno never works and while his knowledge is top notch his customer service is poor, not to mention he is 3 hours away. Anyway through KTuner I found a guy, Kenny, at
https://www.speedfactoryracing.net/
He is "the guy" to get to tune your car with KTuner. I hooked up with a somewhat local dyno in Richmond VA,
http://www.midatlanticperformance.net/
and did a remote tune. We set up the car on the dyno in Richmond and Kenny took control of my PC connected to the cars ECU via Ktuner.
Kenny found the current tune to be.......different than what he usually does. "Things" were not set up set up how he would do it. Kenny is to nice to say anything bad about another tuner. He flew so fast through the software that there was no way I could even attempt to keep up just by watching the PC. But I can say he changed everything was to change! It was my personal opinion that my Wadzii tune was not the most versatile tune.
Anyway moving on he fixed all the low end stuff and started to move on to the short pulls.
We kept getting lean and I was thinking of Liquid Helix and his issues. We kept adding fuel and it was still lean. I do have a pressure gauge mounted on my Radium so I went to the trunk to watch the gauge during the pull when I instantly saw what I hoped was the problem. When we hooked the manifold pressure to the dyno I pulled the line going to the Radium fuel regulator for reference when I thought I had pulled the line for my boost gauge. Hooking that back up and taking some fuel out of the tune we still had an issue. As we approached 7K it got real lean real quick, so back to the trunk to watch the gauge. 45 pounds of fuel pressure at low RPM as soon as boost started to build fuel pressure went up to 60, so far so good and then bam! Fuel pressure drops to 20!
At his point it was after 7PM and everyone wanted to quit. Between the dyno tuner and the tuner tuner they both thought that one on fuel pumps was just plan failing at high demands. I did not know they could be good on the low end and fail on the high end. Their joint recommendation was to change both fuel pumps. One pump only has 5,000 miles on it and the other maybe 1,500 miles. Neither should be failing. I wish I had time to put an amp meter in the circuit of both pumps to see what is going on, maybe it just a relay cutting out. They both thought that Aero/AEM pumps were crap(which I never heard before) They both suggested I use the Walbro 255, I heard they were rather noisy, but they said they were very dependable.
So that is where I am. It is cheaper for me go ahead and replace both pumps then replacing just one pump and have to repeat dyno and tuner time. Sucks here it is almost May, I should be driving or fishing and instead I am stuff in the back of my car freaking with gas. I hate fuel pump replacement!
As always your comments appreciated otherwise I would not be posting.
Think I can buy the Walbro’s here for like 30% cheaper than SOS.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Walbro-G...9W~S6a&vxp=mtr
Gotta get ordering parts soon.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:51 AM
Community Organizer

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Great feedback, Kenny is a great person and very nice.

Sorry to hear you ran out of fuel. I've seen a few AEM pumps fail on other cars.

My choice would be the walbro 450 it's the new big boy epically if you were to ever go E85.

Either way, good luck. Hope to hear you get everything resolved.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:52 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Good to hear you're moving in the right direction. Regarding the fuel pumps.. that's how it goes sometimes. Don't think too much of it and just swap them out. I've seen a lot of issues with pumps over the years and it's certainly possible. Like you said, you might want to check the voltage and make sure the pumps have proper amperage as well (don't know your setup).
Old 04-20-2016, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,

Thanks for the kind words. Tuners are like artists, they just like things different. Does not mean it is wrong. There was nothing wrong with the map. I like things different and it is my tuning style. I love jason to death and I do not want people to think the tuning was bad. If you get 5 tuners, you would get 5 different maps, but does not mean 1 is right and 4 are wrong.

Thank you for using Ktuner and just need to fix the fueling issues!
Old 04-20-2016, 08:06 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

DaGou - I too had an Aeromotive 340 pump fail on me during my E85 dyno tuning session at Carolina Dyno. Ben at Carolina Dyno said the same thing... that he didn't like Aeromotive and would prefer a Walbro in there. I had never heard of negatives against Aeromotive before that day, but since I have heard several stories of the same kind of failure. My failure was exactly like yours... fuel pressure held fine but at ~7k RPM it just dropped like a rock. We replaced it with a Walbro 255 while still on the dyno and it immediately fixed the problem.

We believe the pump failure was directly affected by heat as well... If we let the Aeromotive pump sit with the car off for ~30 minutes, we could get one, maybe two good pulls out of it. But as soon as everything warmed up by the third pull, it would lose fuel pressure at high RPM. If you only waited 5 minutes between pulls it would fail just the same. If it was allowed to cool off for another 30 minutes, it would act OK for 1-2 more pulls then start failing again.

I never had any additional issues after swapping to the Walbro 255, though it was only in the car for another two months or so before I sold everything.

I know its been a loooong road for you, man. Hopefully it will all be sorted soon. Sounds like you are so close! Good luck with everything.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:45 AM

I had my car at Speed Factory with Kenny tuning it and I had the exact issue; fuel just CUTS OFF at about 7k. Aeromotive 340 went in the trash and Walbro 255 High Pressure pump went in. I hope this will resolve it. Back to him to finish the tune.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys thanks for the feed back.

Best place to buy two Walbros? At SOS you just get a pump for $96. At Evasive it is $78. At E-Bay I can get it for $68 with new screen sock, connectors and assorted tid bits, or course the question is, is real. The vendor has a boat of good reviews. Suggestions for where to buy?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Walbro-G...9W~S6a&vxp=mtr

I have not done the fuel pump wiring mod yet either, what's the scoop on the SOS kit, I am sure it is not worth $59!
Old 04-20-2016, 10:42 AM

I bought my pump off Amazon and it was an authentic. It was $75 when I bought it but Amazon prices fluctuate multiple times throughout the day. http://amzn.com/B0098MC3GU

The SoS kit is nice although you can make your own if you're crafty and have the tools. I can send you a scan of the SoS installation instructions if you want. The pieces are listed out there.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:51 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Ugh! I was hoping to see success and numbers!!

Get ready to insulate your trunk though, that walbro is loud.
It's worth noting that in that new Jeff Evans video about modding s2ks, he only recommends the walbro pumps. Even though I've never heard of problems from either AEM or Aero.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:59 AM

Funny enough, I actually do not mind the sounds from the Walbro 255.

Quick Reply: KTuner Tune