S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

ME221

Old 06-13-2019, 10:08 AM
EOE

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

I must've misunderstood. Awesome to hear that idle is as good if not better and so is the drivability and awesome to hear this ECU has data logging + OEM knock sensor support. I appreciate you sharing this with us as I don't think many folks are as transparent about what they did to fix a problem or how they got something running well with whatever ECU.

This has full closed loop operation (LTFT STFT) and can use narrow band for closed loop and wideband for further tuning. Sounds like a win-win tuning solution.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:29 AM

Received 345 Likes on 322 Posts

Strapped up my narrow band sensor,thought they got hot ? have PLX also.
Would a plastic bag over it be a fire risk
Old 06-13-2019, 11:12 AM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by noodels
Strapped up my narrow band sensor,thought they got hot ? have PLX also.
Would a plastic bag over it be a fire risk
No, the narrowband sensor is removed... The harness connector is wrapped in a bag to prevent dirt and debris ingress.

Originally Posted by EOE
I must've misunderstood. Awesome to hear that idle is as good if not better and so is the drivability and awesome to hear this ECU has data logging + OEM knock sensor support. I appreciate you sharing this with us as I don't think many folks are as transparent about what they did to fix a problem or how they got something running well with whatever ECU.

This has full closed loop operation (LTFT STFT) and can use narrow band for closed loop and wideband for further tuning. Sounds like a win-win tuning solution.
Thanks! Just sharing the knowledge. I'm not a tuner - motoring is just a hobby for me.

There is one flaw I've noticed, however, which is the lack of VTEC engagement at high RPM (over 6k) under the specified TPS. There were instances where lifting off and getting back on the throttle results in the engine bogging on the low cam until the high cam engages after the TPS threshold is passed then there's a horribly unpredictable surge of power.

The good news is that I contacted ME and requested the ability to specify an RPM range where the TPS threshold is ignored and they are working on implementing it.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:39 AM
EOE

Originally Posted by aaronyuri
No, the narrowband sensor is removed... The harness connector is wrapped in a bag to prevent dirt and debris ingress.

Thanks! Just sharing the knowledge. I'm not a tuner - motoring is just a hobby for me.

There is one flaw I've noticed, however, which is the lack of VTEC engagement at high RPM (over 6k) under the specified TPS. There were instances where lifting off and getting back on the throttle results in the engine bogging on the low cam until the high cam engages after the TPS threshold is passed then there's a horribly unpredictable surge of power.

The good news is that I contacted ME and requested the ability to specify an RPM range where the TPS threshold is ignored and they are working on implementing it.
Good to know. Any word on implementing MAP pressure to control VTEC engagement? I think Doctronic and Hondata does that.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:59 PM

I think that's how they will likely implement it. Not sure on that one.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:22 PM

Checked my base timing today with a timing light and it was 3° too advanced. This has been corrected. More work continues slowly...
Old 07-02-2019, 05:31 AM

Ignition table has been rebuilt from scratch. There's absolutely nothing left from the original tune at this point... Should've done it myself in the first place.

I received a newer firmware from ME with the VTEC changes but MEITE is refusing to parse the firmware before flashing it. It's with ME to identify and resolve what's going on.
The following users liked this post:
Sobe_Death (07-02-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 12:14 PM
EOE

Originally Posted by aaronyuri
Checked my base timing today with a timing light and it was 3° too advanced. This has been corrected. More work continues slowly...
Ouch and scary. Good catch.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by EOE
Ouch and scary. Good catch.
Indeed... This means that the "tuner's" map was going as advanced as 39° under WOT. Max advance is now 26° under WOT.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:47 AM

Firmware is working and doing what it needs to do. I can now prevent the disengagement of the high cam at high RPM.

There's also a transition window that can be set (like Hondata), whereby, after passing the upper engagement threshold, you can prevent disengagement until X RPM. I currently have this at 5500 RPM. Quick breakdown of what I've set:

Primary load activation 1: 80% (load at which VTEC window is set)
RPM on: 3900
RPM off: 9500

Primary load activation 2: 20% (above this load, VTEC will always be engaged until the off RPM)
RPM on: 6000
RPM off: 5500

This means that VTEC will behave based on min TPS and MAP load much like before between 3900 and 9500 RPM. However, above 6000 RPM and 20% load, VTEC will remain engaged until engine speed decreases below 5500 RPM.

I need to figure out what the hysteresis settings are, but that's for another day.

Quick Reply: ME221