S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

Unichip by Dastek

Old 07-20-2010, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unichip by Dastek

Hi all, i've searched about this unit here in s2ki but sadly info about it goes all the way back to 2003. Back then it could only control A/F and not ignition timing, but they say new versions will surface that can already control the s2k, however i have not read any updates regarding that. Now my question is, can you recommend this unit for our cars? who has info and experience regarding them? i've been debating whether to get thes or the E-manage Ultimate. I actually have the E-manage already in my car but its giving me misfire problems at vtec and im actually in the verge of giving up wit it and just get the unichip instead. any thoughts?
Old 07-21-2010, 05:10 AM

Hi

I can't comment on the S, but I did have a Unichip on my old E36 BMW. It worked as advertised and was able to control the VANOS, A/F and ignition.

In South Africa, the Unichip is one of the most popular piggyback chips amongst the Honda crowd, although we are now looking at Hondata for K-swapped Civics, Accords, CTR and S2000 as support for non-US cars increases.

From what I understand, the Unichip (UniQ) can control VTEC, Nitrous, Ignition, Boost (UniQ+) and A/F amongst other things. It is widely supported in SA and it's very inexpensive (Installation and dyno tuning costs between R2850 - R3500 or US$375 - $460 with a turnaround of 1 day). It is made locally and labour costs for tuning are lower (nearly ALL tuners support this and the GoTech standalone system) so that contributes to the lower price and popularity. I would imagine this is not the cases in all parts of the world.

The downside is that there is no plug and play adapter so you will have to cut into your wiring loom to install it on an S. If Hondata is unable to help me with a reflash for my ECU, I will probably go this route and post a review + dyno graph.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:27 AM

Nice review sir. Was it able to tune on closed loop? Do you know people there that has em on the S? Thanks for the response i totally appreciate it. I like the product and it sounds very promising, the only downside is that if i get it in my country then im going to be "locked out" to only one tuning shop. They are the ones who are authorized to tune the unichip. What do you think about it compared to the E-manage ultimate?

Going stand alone like K-pro etc is the best route of course. the only downside with it is the price.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:55 PM

They do optimize A/F and ignition for closed loop but the stock ECU "learns around" the closed loop adjustments over time (depends on ECU). This doesn't affect open loop tuning at all (Again, my direct experience with this was on a BMW and with a Unichip two revisions before the current one). There is a twin turbo Gallardo and a ton of turbo cars of all makes driving around SA running the UniQ+ with seemingly no ill effects though...

Honestly, I would not like to be locked down to only one tuner. If you fall out with the tuner or the business goes under, you will be stuck. I would look at what the majority of good tuners support and go with that. I feel Hondata is the best option for our cars when staying N/A and I'd be willing to pay the price for it if it worked on my car
Old 07-25-2010, 12:27 AM

Really? I already have the Spoon ECU since my stock ECU has a speed limiter in 190 (JDM). Do you think I should put in the stock one? Does the Unichip have a Speed limiter cut? The E-manage didn't relearn when I had it tuned for closed loop, how similar is it to the e-manage?

Hondata is nice yes, sounds really promising but the thing is im still a student so money is quite an object here hahaha! The E-manage's big drawback though is the misfires. Sadly unichip is the only alternative for a piggyback here in my country...