S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Engine Management (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-engine-management-231/)
-   -   VTEC control with Infinity (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-engine-management-231/vtec-control-infinity-1134712/)

Chitoki 09-23-2015 07:34 AM

To be clear, KPRO does NOT have this problem... correct?

TheCarGuy2021 09-23-2015 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by 06Estukay (Post 23754882)
I tried the above solution. It'll work, but it turns the HS Output into a general purpose and doesn't allow the vtec engagement settings to be refined via tps.

Also, the vtec switch will never be set to active. I'm using the second ve table for when vtec is engaged. The vtec on condition will never be triggered so it means you'd be stuck using one ve table only. As soon as the HS table is modified and you go back to the wizard, vtec settings disappear.

It's OK that the HS output table is changed to general purpose, the VTEC function will still be active and the VE tables will still switch when the VTEC function is active.

Chitoki 09-23-2015 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by TheCarGuy2021 (Post 23755602)

Originally Posted by 06Estukay' timestamp='1442959785' post='23754882
I tried the above solution. It'll work, but it turns the HS Output into a general purpose and doesn't allow the vtec engagement settings to be refined via tps.

Also, the vtec switch will never be set to active. I'm using the second ve table for when vtec is engaged. The vtec on condition will never be triggered so it means you'd be stuck using one ve table only. As soon as the HS table is modified and you go back to the wizard, vtec settings disappear.

It's OK that the HS output table is changed to general purpose, the VTEC function will still be active and the VE tables will still switch when the VTEC function is active.

So this is a good work around? Ill relay this to my tuner

06Estukay 09-23-2015 03:13 PM

I haven't tested it yet. Will try it out when I have time and report back

timg 09-23-2015 05:19 PM

AEMs VTEC logic has been the same for over a decade. It makes sense and it works. If you want it based on RPM only, then set the TPS limits to 0%. I understand your concerns, but this is not something new and is not an issue for 99% of the people running any AEM EMS. Had a major tuner or race team had any problem with the AEM logic, you can bet that it would have been fixed many years ago.

Tim

06Estukay 09-24-2015 03:40 PM

Do you work for AEM?

A lot of blanket statements.

Have you done any tuning on the infinity? It doesn't provide enough flexibility in some situations. Anyhow, it's a bit different to the previous ems ecu's. Th previous ems had additional vtec criteria for load/map.

If you read the the entire thread, you'll see that even setting the vtec off condition to 0% tps is not a guarantee.

Who's to say it hasn't happened to multiple engines in the past? If a tree falls in a forest does it make a sound?

Not every one that has problems frequents Internet forums and posts about it. We have no idea if there have been more issues.

Also, the race team and tuner statement doesn't hold water. I know of a few tuners that have had problems without resolve from AEM. And as for professional race teams... well those guys aren't using AEM products. There's a reason those guys use ECU's like MoTeC.

I will reiterate, Honda never designed the low cam rockers to operate at high RPM's. Throw in some gnarly cams with 9200 rpm shifts and be ready for some fun.

yamahaSHO 09-26-2015 06:38 PM

I looked through the Infinity software a few times since it came out and then finally got to tune an S2000 with it last weekend in Denver. Personally, I'm holding onto my v2 until the Infinity software gets... better.

BBRTuning 10-02-2015 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by 06Estukay (Post 23757134)
Do you work for AEM?

A lot of blanket statements.

Have you done any tuning on the infinity? It doesn't provide enough flexibility in some situations. Anyhow, it's a bit different to the previous ems ecu's. Th previous ems had additional vtec criteria for load/map.

If you read the the entire thread, you'll see that even setting the vtec off condition to 0% tps is not a guarantee.

Who's to say it hasn't happened to multiple engines in the past? If a tree falls in a forest does it make a sound?

Not every one that has problems frequents Internet forums and posts about it. We have no idea if there have been more issues.

Also, the race team and tuner statement doesn't hold water. I know of a few tuners that have had problems without resolve from AEM. And as for professional race teams... well those guys aren't using AEM products. There's a reason those guys use ECU's like MoTeC.

I will reiterate, Honda never designed the low cam rockers to operate at high RPM's. Throw in some gnarly cams with 9200 rpm shifts and be ready for some fun.

No, he doesn't work for AEM. They're based in Los Angeles.

"Doesn't provide enough flexibility in some situations." Can you elaborate on this? Is there some flexibility you're missing in order to control your N/A Honda engine properly? It's one of the simplest engines to tune out there. Now if DSport Magazine's R33 GTR that makes 1250whp on Infinity, with full a sequential transmission using gear cuts, 3 fuel pumps, 12 injectors, and nitrous is missing some flexibility, I'd be a little more inclined to believe it (it's not, he's pretty happy from what I hear). He just ran an 8 sec pass in that car.

AEM Infinity ECUs are used in racing series as high up as Motec ECUs. Infinity is currently the spec series for a few motorsports series and possibly more next year. All RXLites rallycross cars globally use Infinity as the spec ECU. Several cars in world challenge run it. Singer Porsches run Infinity ECUs exclusively. Sorry to hear AEM hasn't immediately resolved the VTEC control for a 15 year old Honda engine, although it sounds like this feature will be added/expanded soon. Also, the posted fix above will work fine in the meantime.

jdmz 07-13-2019 01:34 PM

I want to revive this thread. So how is everyone setting up their VTEC control now?

My current tune is set up so highside cuts when MAP is below 0 psi.... This results in vtec cutting out on throttle lifts after a WOT, which means the vtec is disengaging at high RPMs. Also, the VTEC_Active stays active until my setpoint rpm even though HS0 has been disengaged.