S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

Yet another Gernby etune success

Old 05-02-2017, 06:31 AM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Yet another Gernby etune success

I've had my car for a year now and never planned on modding it with exception of a Flashpro tune. I had heard good things about it and knew I wanted one even before buying the car. Well, I just got my Gernby etune done last week before heading to the Tail of the Dragon event and I can say I am very happy with the improvements. The midrange is much, much better and I find myself driving more between 4 - 6k than before where I too often sought 6k+ for needed power. Pulling out of turns in 3rd gear at 5-6k is an enjoyable experience and I'm not waiting for or even thinking about when V-tech is going to kick in. Plus no more v tech kicking in mid turn. The transition to v-tech is barely noticeable and has been set to 3600rpm at max throttle and I guess it engages higher under partial throttle. Like I said its very subtle now so I'm still getting familiar with the changeover points during different driving scenarios. The throttle map was a little different but now I'm used to it and will leave it alone.
One of the best parts is the sound. The car has more of a growl from 3600rpm up and has more of a sporting tone to it. Some of that may be from the HFC but I think its mostly from the lowered vetch engagement. One of my disappointments in the car was that it had such a dual personality. The engine sounded monotone to me when out of V-tech. Just kind of a dull moan. When I would shift to pass at 5k rpm in 3rd gear the power band was kind of gutless until v-tech hit. Now the car pulls nicely in a linear fashion through the midrange up to redline.
Overall the car is much improved. I don't see why they didn't tune it this way from the factory. If you have a drive by wire car there is no reason not to get this tune.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:24 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I just got my Gernby tune and I agree with everything you said 100%. Still getting used to the revised throttle myself but its a huge improvement at low speeds. Stock exhaust with Berk HFC and this tune sounds a lot better which was something I was not expecting.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:03 AM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Yeah, I swear the sound alone is half the fun! I wasn't expecting such a better sound!
Old 05-06-2017, 06:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's all I read is great reviews from gernby etunes , once I sort out having my vavles lashed & a billman tct , that's my next mod. Everything you describe sounds like what I need in my life. Lower vtec, more mid-range , nice growl , better driveablity.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good review. I've heard so many fantastic things about his E-tunes. Speaking of which; I just got my flashpro and I'm going to get my HFC soon. I've tried sending Gernby a PM to ask about getting a tune but no luck. HALP
Old 05-06-2017, 09:28 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Vtec engages pretty much whenever you flat foot the car. The power delivery feels much more linear now. I can hardly tell when vtec is engaged. The tone of the engine when the crossover occurs is so sleight; nothing like before the tune.

I found myself asking the exact same thing, "Why didn't Honda sell the car this way!?" Of course, due to emissions and noise restrictions, but still! The car is so much better with a tune.

Gernby doesn't check his inbox here often. You have to email him.

Last edited by Mugen_is_best; 05-02-2018 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 03:56 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

I'm convinced Honda set the VTEC at 6000rpm for the "VTEC Yo" effect. You know you're accelerating at WOT and at that point the car leaps forward as it changes cams. VTEC Yo! This is gone with the Gernby tune. Even shifting early the car stays on the high power cam between gear changes. Car cruises at 80mph on the low power/economy cam but VTEC is instantly there under my right foot. Downshifts are not needed as often.

-- Chuck
Old 05-09-2017, 10:00 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I searched for contact info but couldnt readily find it. I see that he hasnt had any activity since last year or I wouldve PM'd him. How do I contact him to schedule etuning?
Old 05-12-2017, 04:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Afterfire
I searched for contact info but couldnt readily find it. I see that he hasnt had any activity since last year or I wouldve PM'd him. How do I contact him to schedule etuning?
BUMP wondering the same. everything installed and ready.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:01 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

See your PM.

-- Chuck

Quick Reply: Yet another Gernby etune success