S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Advice on Blown Head Gasket

Old 08-10-2008, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Blown Head Gasket

As the topic stats I found out my head gasket is blown. Really sucks. I've heard several people on here have had the same problem, and some several times. It is a 3mm IP gasket with the OEM bolts. The gasket and kit was installed by IP so I dont think it was an install issue. I am running a GT30R and had the car tuned by a well respected tuner at a conservative 412whp @ 18psi and turned the boost down to 15psi. So I don't think it was an install, tuner, or over boost issue.

I am of the belief that installing a head gasket seems to be a "bandaid' as opposed to building the engine. I also believe that under our cars heat,pressure, and daily use the gasket will fail. Please somebody prove me wrong because I would hate to go back to NA for the wrong reasons.

Questions;
1. Is there a fix for the head gasket issue?
2. How long has anybody had success with a head gasket(miles/time) and what HP are you at?
3. How many hours of labor should I expect to pay my mechanic for the repair?

Please post...
Old 08-11-2008, 05:33 AM

we usual get $450 in labor to do a head gasket. on a turbo car a little more because everything else you have to remove and reinstall.
3mm HG with stock bolts? you loose 3mm of threads in the block - I would only do it with studs, this way you know you have enough threads in the block, I would also do lower thermostat and fan switch, the extra heat load from FI and the normal hot running f20,f22 dropping the temps 15-20 deg just a little more insurance. I have used both 2mm cometic and the 3mm IP HG - have success with both, but if it were mine go with IP
Old 08-11-2008, 08:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by badmonkey,Aug 10 2008, 11:54 PM
Questions;
1. Is there a fix for the head gasket issue?
2. How long has anybody had success with a head gasket(miles/time) and what HP are you at?
3. How many hours of labor should I expect to pay my mechanic for the repair?
I feel your pain; been there, done that.

1. Only one I know of is to stop boosting (and we all know that ain't happening).

2. I run 450-530 whp any given weekend, and my stock HG has held up pretty well for the last 1,000 miles. I don't drive it every day, nor do I beat the sh*t out of it when I do.

3. I think $500 for the job is fair.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by 2big4aS2000,Aug 11 2008, 05:33 AM
we usual get $450 in labor to do a head gasket. on a turbo car a little more because everything else you have to remove and reinstall.
3mm HG with stock bolts? you loose 3mm of threads in the block - I would only do it with studs, this way you know you have enough threads in the block, I would also do lower thermostat and fan switch, the extra heat load from FI and the normal hot running f20,f22 dropping the temps 15-20 deg just a little more insurance. I have used both 2mm cometic and the 3mm IP HG - have success with both, but if it were mine go with IP
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. I was thinking of trying the ARP head studs since I have already failed with the oem bolts. I also know torqueing them down correctly is imperative. I've heard of some doing 75pds and others doing 90 + pounds. Anybody wanna chime in on what is best?
Old 08-11-2008, 08:58 AM

[QUOTE=bigpurp,Aug 11 2008, 08:43 AM] I feel your pain; been there, done that.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by badmonkey,Aug 11 2008, 11:58 AM
Big Purp, Thanks for your feedback. I also thought $500 was fair. I am still gonna have to check the block, head, pistons, rings etc and know that will also be an added expense. Who do you have in Lauderdale that works on your car? I will keep the post updated to help any others that come across my situation. Tearing down the motor is not much fun, and being that my tune and build was intended for DD and reliability makes it hurt a little more.
All of the work on my car is done by Andres at RAW Racing. They used to be in Davie, but moved a few months ago to the Coral Springs area. Best mech I have ever worked with, and he knows our cars VERY well. Give him a call (954.257.9787) and tell him Aaron referred u.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aaron is the MAN.

Chris
Old 08-11-2008, 01:16 PM

Stick with the oem bolts. I had a failure with the arp studs probably due to lift. I am now running an inline rpo 3mm with the stock bolts and haven't had an issue.
If I had the money going with a built motor would be the way to go but if yo ucan be conservative then the HG is the least expensive way to go. Just do it yourself. I did it in my apartment parking lot when mine blew it was my first hg install.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:45 PM

Thanks Big Purp! I have met Andres before and know he does good work.

ChefJ, I agree with you on the built motor piece. If I had the extra cash right now I wouldn't think twice about it. Taking my car apart myself is not an option unfortunately..

I'll keep everyone posted as to what the failure was as soon as I get the head off..

If anybody out there is over 10k on a 2mm or 3mm chime in.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:05 PM

Headgasket blew on my IP 3mm with brand new oem head bolts at 9 psi.

Quick Reply: Advice on Blown Head Gasket