S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

AEM EMS: A Blown Success Story

Old 07-29-2003, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM EMS: A Blown Success Story

Having dragged many in the S2000 community through my turbo woes over the past 15 months, I thought I would post a thread to let you know that the story seems to finally have a happy ending. This has been written with input from Giles (GilbertG), as he shared much of the journey with me, and we took the same route to its completion.

First, however, we want to thank a few people -- including (in alphabetical order) CJB80, ChrisD, HeCash, RT, Schwett, TwoHoos, Ultimate Lurker, Wesmaster, and Yellow Streak -- without whose help we would not have made it. Both Giles and I were seriously ready on more than one occasion to throw in the towel and sell our cars. We are also deeply grateful to Sean McElderry from TorqueFreaks, a most excellent EMS tuning shop (more on Sean and TorqueFreaks later).

Second, none of our troubles reflect negatively on either Speedcraft (the source of my turbo kit) or Stage 6 Motorsports (the source of Gile
Old 07-29-2003, 02:50 PM

so after the tunning how much are you putting down???
Old 07-29-2003, 03:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great news Chris. You were so worried but the key is the tuner and it looks like you lucked out and found one of the few "right" people. how did you ever come accross them in the first place? thats great. -Anthony
Old 07-29-2003, 03:35 PM

congradualtions and good to hear everything worked out!
although your turbo is running similar boost to a S/C i'm sure your TQ figures are much higher and linear.

lets see some dyno charts when you get a chance!
Old 07-29-2003, 03:47 PM

Congratulations. It's nice to see a happy ending to a turbo story every once in a while . I hear too many "I doubled the price of the car, wasted a year of my life and had my spouse leave me because of my turbo project" stories

So I take it you had the EMS tuned exclusively by driving around with a lap top and your wideband sensors?
Old 07-29-2003, 03:57 PM

S2K9: read the post. Anthony, Sebring, and Damcgee, thanks for the kind words. We found Sean through the AEM Forum. I'll post dyno plots once I have the car tested. We did the tuning with a GSM device, so in combination with the wideband, EMS logging software, and the GSM, we were able to dial the car reasonably well, I think. Bear in mind that Sean brought a lot of real-world dyno data to the tuning, so while there's probably more power still be found, I doubt much was lost by not being on a dyno.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:39 PM

Hey it is awesome to hear a success when so many of us are close to failure. I really thank you for the information because my car is almost done for the second time. I hope to run at 17 PSI with a 60-1 turbo and a Mike Simon built engine. Keep it up and post your dyno run's..
Old 07-29-2003, 07:36 PM

Cbender, what motor are you running on when you were tuning it or trying to tune it? ( built? half built? stock?)
Old 07-29-2003, 07:39 PM

one more thing...
i always wanted to know if the intercooler doubled its function as a radiator as well.
if not doesn't the radiator become useless when an intercooler sits right in front of it?
Old 07-30-2003, 12:40 AM

Hybrid: stock motor. I really, really don't want to get into the internals. I roadcourse the car, and more than 300 whp isn't very useful (and comes at the cost of longevity). Sebring, the intercooler is air-to-air so it only cools the charge. The air flows through it to the air-to-liquid radiator which works just as it always did.

Quick Reply: AEM EMS: A Blown Success Story