Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

EFR 7064 Twin Scroll / IWG / Pfab Top Mount / V-Mount build

Old 01-04-2017, 03:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO
To make lines?
Yeah, im sure some specialty tools are needed
Old 01-05-2017, 08:08 AM

Received 121 Likes on 97 Posts

Depends on what I end up doing. I've always made my own lines for nearly everything, however, I am tempted to make a hard line for the oil feed. If I do that, I will need to pick up some tools. I like the idea of being about to route a hard line where I want it and not have to keep a braided line from rubbing or be attached somewhere.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Depends on what I end up doing. I've always made my own lines for nearly everything, however, I am tempted to make a hard line for the oil feed. If I do that, I will need to pick up some tools. I like the idea of being about to route a hard line where I want it and not have to keep a braided line from rubbing or be attached somewhere.
hard lines always look sexy, thats the one thing i never learnt how to do back in my air ride days
Old 01-09-2017, 02:08 PM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Nice build! I was hoping you'd create a thread. There aren't too many well thought out FI track builds. Is there a reason you opted to go with such a big turbo? That's a divided t4 turbine housing right..? What's your power goals?
The following users liked this post:
yamahaSHO (01-09-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 02:58 PM

I didn't think this was really a big turbo at 56 lbs/min, but I think I can get it to spool within reasonable usage and hang on I top. Boost will likely settle around 10 PSI, likely in the 400ish whp range. It's also the smallest B2 frame they make and I don't any B1 frame will keep up with this motor on the exhaust side, on track. Yep, it's a divided T4 twin scroll and a paired manifold.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't think this was really a big turbo at 56 lbs/min, but I think I can get it to spool within reasonable usage and hang on I top. Boost will likely settle around 10 PSI, likely in the 400ish whp range. It's also the smallest B2 frame they make and I don't any B1 frame will keep up with this motor on the exhaust side, on track. Yep, it's a divided T4 twin scroll and a paired manifold.
Its not really a big turbo, Its sort of a strange turbo though. It has a compressor of a gt30 and a turbine of a gt 35. This means it can spool quickly and produce large amounts of boost, however it runs out of flow quickly. On a f20 or f22 the flow will be inefficient at close to 8k rpm. The better turbo is the 7163 for the f series motors. I am running the 7064 on my f24 build and you can tell it lacks top end. If I did it again I would go with the 7163.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:05 PM

The 7163 would likely choke the exhaust at high RPM, especially at constant high RPM. Robert Thorne and I spent some time working out a good turbo for the application, so I'm pretty confident in it, especially since I'm not trying to make a typical Subaru curve. I intentionally went for a larger A/R and twin scroll for helping it stay efficient for a large portion of the powerband... which isn't going to be very high.

For street duty, I probably would have gone with the 7163.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:55 AM

Ya the "cold side" doesn't seem to be too big, I guess I was just a little surprised by such a large hot side with a divided t4 housing. Many people run a t3 hot side/t4 cold side configuration but you're running a straight t4. Like you said, it should certainly help flow in exchange for a slower spool. I'm far from a turbo expert, it'll be interesting to see how it runs.

I'm not familiar w/ BW turbos.. Is a B1 frame on the hot side a t3 flange, and the B2 is a t4 flange..?

Last edited by SlowTeg; 01-10-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:01 AM

The idea of the large hot side is to let it breath, while pairing the cylinders properly for a twin scroll to help with the spool.

The B1 vs B2 is in reference to their frame/cartridge, with the B1 being smaller.

This isn't my picture, but it's a exact comparison between my 7064 (B2) vs my 6758 (B1).

Old 01-11-2017, 11:17 AM

The idea of the large hot side is to let it breath, while pairing the cylinders properly for a twin scroll to help with the spool.

The B1 vs B2 is in reference to their frame/cartridge, with the B1 being smaller.

This isn't my picture, but it's a exact comparison between my 7064 (B2) vs my 6758 (B1).
Seeing as how most guys running turbos use external wastegates (that divert a good deal of exhaust flow away from the turbine housing), perhaps a divided t4 turbine housing really isn't that large. I guess it really just depends on the power curve you want. Heck, a Greddy turbo kit can hit ~350whp w/ a t25 flange, but the top end clearly gets choked and it's hard to make much beyond that. The gt30 upgrades w/ the t25 flange seem to flow a little better. When looking at the SOS kit with the divided t3 housing (looks like a poor choice), it clearly gets choked up top as well. With a large(r) hot side I'd imagine your car will pull hard to redline, in exchange for a slightly slower spool. I definitely like the internal wastegate and simplified "package." Did you say you're relocating the battery as well?

Quick Reply: EFR 7064 Twin Scroll / IWG / Pfab Top Mount / V-Mount build