S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

exhaust outlet out of hood

Old 11-06-2012, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust outlet out of hood

after going to a performance shop in central texas to get my dumptube and downpipe fab'd up the shop owner asked me if i wanted my exhaust just going straight down where it would normally go or out my fender or possibly even hood. i have been planning to vent my hood but havent found the balls to actually start hacking away at a perfectly good silverstone hood with no scratches or anything. after giving it some thought i would really like to do it out of my hood but am wondering if all that heat will make my paint start cracking or if all that exhaust will be making my whole car black from the exhaust soot. has anyone tried this before? i tried searching it and couldnt find any forum with pictures that could convince me to do this. im having my car towed to the shop on friday so i will need to let him know what im doing. anyones suggestions with pictures would be greatly appreciated. thank you and god bless honda.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:33 AM

I seriously considered this for my racecar build.

Out of the hood is undoubtedly the lightest way to go, and is simple and easy to do.
However keep in mind your cabin air filter pulls fresh air in at the base of your windshield, passenger side.
This is a low pressure area and when venting exhaust out of the hood I would expect exhaust gases to be drawn in through the ventilation system. The cabin filter will not remove harmful CO.
I would also expect more exhaust in the cabin with windows down.

Also, many sanctioning bodies require the exhaust to exit behind the ceneterline of the wheelbase which would make the car illegal in series that require that.
For these reasons I'd avoid it, CO poisoning sucks and takes a very long time to leave your body

Andrew
Old 11-06-2012, 12:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had my downpipe/dumptube coming out of the hood for a few weeks (even drove it on the street like that lol). I got tired of the tubes spitting soot on my windshield/hood:

(the tubes were cut flush)
Old 11-06-2012, 01:26 PM

Don't you lose power with super short dumps or down pipes?
Old 11-06-2012, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by herecomesboost
I had my downpipe/dumptube coming out of the hood for a few weeks (even drove it on the street like that lol). I got tired of the tubes spitting soot on my windshield/hood:

(the tubes were cut flush)
did you have any other problems like the exhaust heat bubbling your paint or anything like that? how bad was the soot? if you drove with the top down would it get inside the cabin?
Old 11-06-2012, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Reapur
No.

Originally Posted by S2kserry
did you have any other problems like the exhaust heat bubbling your paint or anything like that? how bad was the soot? if you drove with the top down would it get inside the cabin?
No issues with paint bubbling (I had a 1/4" gap around each tube). The soot wasn't *bad*; just small spots on the windshield (enough to bother me, but not a safety issue by any means). No issues with soot in the cabin.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by herecomesboost
Originally Posted by Reapur' timestamp='1352240819' post='22133847
No.

Originally Posted by S2kserry
No issues with paint bubbling (I had a 1/4" gap around each tube). The soot wasn't *bad*; just small spots on the windshield (enough to bother me, but not a safety issue by any means). No issues with soot in the cabin.
sorry to ask a million questions but would you recommend doing it? i dont think i would mind it as long as im not breathing in straight exhaust when the top is down. or in the winter if i turn the heat on a little i dont want exhaust fumes coming through my heat lines. i have a pfab top log manifold so it would be directed more out the passengers side if that makes any difference. thanks again man.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:24 PM

Honestly, it was fun for a few weeks (especially the 2 step ); because my car was still driven on the street (occasionally) I decided that open downpipe was a better option. I don't think you'll have problems with fumes (can't say the same of your potential passenger though). I would recommend an uppipe for a dedicated track car.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:12 PM

I drive mine on the street like this
Old 11-06-2012, 03:36 PM
Former Sponsor

I'm curious, any chance you'll take any in car video during driving? I think it looks sick, very curious about functionality, as far as driving the car and visibility. Great idea, must be pretty light

Evan

Quick Reply: exhaust outlet out of hood