S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Fuel Surge Tank?

Old 04-01-2010, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Surge Tank?

Hey guys...

As some of you know i am on the quest for more power (like many of us on here lol) and i am starting to address my fuel system... I have hopes of being somewhere in the 600-650whp range on race gas using a BW/BEP S366 .70a/r T3 turbo (upgrading from my 35R) I have thought about usng the FullBlown dual walbro hanger, but the initial cost of the unit itself is steep, so i have thought of another alternative...

I am planning on adding a ~1gallon fuel surge tank under the car in conjuction with a bosch 044 inline pump. I am adding the surge tank (which isnt really needed for a DD car lol) to add reliability to the fuel system by not running to low on fuel that the 044 starts sucking air, and for cornering and hard acceleration..

here is my parts list:

1gal custom made surge tank
Bosch 044 pump with -8 fittings
-8 feed line from the intank walbro to the surge tank
-8 feed from surge to 044
-8 feed from 044 to InlinePro fuel rail
-6 return line from rail to Aeromotive/Fuelab FPR back to the surge tank
-6 return from surge tank to factory return on fuel pump hanger

here are some ideas of what im looking to do....

CFT-

let me know what you guys think!
Old 04-01-2010, 08:30 AM

I love the idea of doing this but I don't think I'll get around to it for a long time. I didn't know CFT was running a surge tank setup like that. I really like it. The mounting seems like it could be improved upon a bit but it's super clean.

Good luck! In for info!
Old 04-01-2010, 09:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First thing I thought when I read the title was CFT. I think it's a nice piece and certainly has it's place for a track car and is a GREAT mod, but for the majority of the people it's not needed imo.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:13 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

One gallon is too large. It just adds weight. Go with about 800cc or a liter and it will function fine. There is no need for excessive volume.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Sideways,Apr 1 2010, 01:13 PM
One gallon is too large. It just adds weight. Go with about 800cc or a liter and it will function fine. There is no need for excessive volume.
Thanks for the note on that. Does this include road race/track cars?
Old 04-01-2010, 10:31 AM

i was using "1gallon" as a reference, it will be smaller than that...
Old 04-01-2010, 10:41 AM

here is an awesome write-up on how to do it...

surge tank guide
Old 04-01-2010, 01:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^
Agree with above,
I have a 1.5 Liter surge tank in my Subaru STI
riser pump (from OEM tank to surge tank) is a Walbro 255L
in-line high pressure pump is a FueLab pump

Power is close to 600whp on race gas and never had an issue of running out of fuel on the surge tank

You just gotta make sure:

engine fuel demand < riser pump flow

from http://www.rceng.com/technical.aspx
for 730whp (650*1.12 - to account for 12% drivetrain loss guesstimate)
you need ~ 1000 cc/min x4 inj = 4000cc/min = 240 Lph < Walbro 255 Lph flow

In addition, some of the fuel not used by the injectors goes back to the surge tank from the fuel rails thru the return line, that helps keep the surge tank full.

Sounds like a pretty good setup you have listed there. Use the factory +12v pump source to trigger your 044 thru a relay so your 044 will prime/shut off just like the OEM pump. Expect LOUD whine from the 044 and make sure you buy it from a reputable dealer - there are alot of stories about chinese replicas around. Post your setup for us to drool over when you are done!

Old 04-01-2010, 01:52 PM

The last one I made was a regular 4" round pipe cut off and welded top and bottom. I like to have them standing and outlets low, that way side G-force wont have a chance to take air into the system. Welded a bigger bottom for rubber mounts, pump and fuel filter.
Just screwed in a 044 in the surge and an alu clamp to keep it in place.
I think 2 litres and that´s more than enough with fuel return from rail going back to the surge.

One more thing, you wont need a monster pump from tank to surge. With free flow and help from the returning fuel we´ve seen 600hp with stock pump in tank.

Got a pic if you want.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by EngineerX,Apr 1 2010, 01:24 PM
Sounds like a pretty good setup you have listed there. Use the factory +12v pump source to trigger your 044 thru a relay so your 044 will prime/shut off just like the OEM pump. Expect LOUD whine from the 044 and make sure you buy it from a reputable dealer - there are alot of stories about chinese replicas around. Post your setup for us to drool over when you are done!
I already have a Walbro intank and it is also been rewired to its own 30amp relay for direct battery power, i am going to splice into the 12v fuel pump trigger (like i already have for the walbro) to power the 044 which they should work nicely together...

now to prime the system i was thinking about having everything hooked up like it should be, priming just the walbro first, to fill the surge tank (and wait for the over-flow to be pushed back into the oem tank) after that is full, prime just the 044.... than prime both together.... does that sound like the correct way?

i will most likely be purchasing the pump from B&R fittings on honda-tech

B&R fittings

you guys running post 044 filters? If so what element type and what micron?

Quick Reply: Fuel Surge Tank?