S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Forced Induction (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-forced-induction-142/)
-   -   Greddy Turbo Kit vs InlinePro Turbo Kit? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-forced-induction-142/greddy-turbo-kit-vs-inlinepro-turbo-kit-498516/)

Snowy_Beast 06-13-2007 08:01 PM

Greddy Turbo Kit vs InlinePro Turbo Kit?

[QUOTE]Bolt-on Turbo Kits

Leading the way in bolt-on turbo kits for normally-aspirated engines, GReddy turbo kits provide instant horsepower gains with less time and money while still having the potential for upgrading for even more power. Designed with turbochargers at the beginning end of their efficiency range, gives the buyer the option to increase power levels substantially, before having to ever upgrade the kit

Reborn56 06-13-2007 08:06 PM

Between those two kits?
Hands down without a question in my mind INLINE PRO is the way to go.
The power you gain with a GReddy is so low compared to other kits out there And there price range is up there also at like 4k or 5k ?
for like 80 whp more?
Inline all the way between those two kits.

Marcus

BlownAP 06-13-2007 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Reborn56,Jun 13 2007, 08:06 PM
Between those two kits?
The power you gain with a GReddy is so low compared to other kits out there And there price range is up there also at like 4k or 5k ?
for like 80 whp more?

Marcus

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

macprotege5 06-14-2007 03:40 AM

+1 for inline pro

OGPackin 06-14-2007 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Reborn56,Jun 13 2007, 11:06 PM
Between those two kits?
for like 80 whp more?

Marcus

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

AusS2000 06-14-2007 05:14 AM

The inline is a much higher end kit but it's also not complete. You need an AEM and injectors.

The Greddy is a good complete kit if you want SC like top end but more in the middle. Will limit you a bit though.

wazzurp 06-14-2007 05:49 AM

By the way OP, internals are already forged. Save some money there. I agree though inline pro with your budget

Tyraid2K 06-14-2007 06:37 AM

this is no contest, as you can see from reading above, Inline pro all the way,

still have to buy management and install, but atleast you won't regret it afterwards

VorlonDrow 06-14-2007 06:46 AM

After researching Lovefab, inline pro, full race, gReddy and custom kits...hands down I am going with Inline Pro.

slimjim8201 06-14-2007 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by AusS2000,Jun 14 2007, 08:14 AM
The inline is a much higher end kit but it's also not complete. You need and AEM and injectors.

The Greddy is a good complete kit if you want SC like top end but more in the middle. Will limit you a bit though.

Precisely. Comparing complete packages, the GReddy kit is certainly a little less expensive, but the Inline kit is superior in many ways.

slimjim8201 06-14-2007 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by VorlonDrow,Jun 14 2007, 09:46 AM
After researching Lovefab, inline pro, full race, gReddy and custom kits...hands down I am going with Inline Pro.

When you factor in customer service and support, that decision becomes sort of a no-brainer. :thumbup:

MugenRioS2k 06-14-2007 07:21 AM

Its very hard to compare the Inline kit to the Greddy setup at this point.

All inline kits dynos obviously have custom tunes while the only Greddy dyno I have seen is on the locked Greddy tune for 91 oct and tuned very conservatively.

When a couple more ppl get the Greddy installed and get custom tunes then the two kits can be compared correctley.

The Inline will obviously be capable of more power due to a larger turbo but each of the kits are aimed at different market of drivers.

Snowy_Beast 06-14-2007 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by AusS2000,Jun 14 2007, 05:14 AM
The inline is a much higher end kit but it's also not complete. You need and AEM and injectors.

And how much more would it be?

At 5.7K I was referring to Canadian $$$

4K US = 4.2K CAN these days...

But how much more would I cost me to get it install + em + injectors. The good thing about the Greedy was that you can install it without taking the engine out of the car it's a 2-3 days job. It wouldn't cost me around 10,000$ for the complete set. Are we aiming those figures with the Inline Pro?

Snowy_Beast 06-14-2007 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by MugenRioS2k,Jun 14 2007, 07:21 AM
The Inline will obviously be capable of more power due to a larger turbo but each of the kits are aimed at different market of drivers.

I must do about 2,000 to 3,000 miles a year in my S2000. But when I drive it, I drive it for real... witch kit would be the best in my case then?

Remember I do not have 10,000 to put just yet... but 8,000 is right in my price range.

dubcac 06-14-2007 08:06 AM

Don't compare kits that have different goals in mind.

The Greddy is much more practical for usable power as a daily driver, and is going to end up being CARB exempt...which is great for us CA people...we won't have to take the kit off to get smogged, or worry about getting sent to the state ref. It's designed to be reliable, bolt it on, plug in the Emanage, and go. You would have no problem putting some miles on it.

The InlinePro kit (along with the mass of other kits) are designed to be more for high end power. The Greddy kit makes full boost at 3800rpm, something like 50whp more than the inline pro at 4500 rpm and 2psi less boost, but the smaller turbo also will make less top end power than the InlinePro. That seems like fun to me...but I love cars that drive smooth.

Figure out what YOUR goals are for the car...power wise, and how you want it to drive, and then figure out what you want. If it was me, I'd be going with the Greddy kit because of my CA residence. If I lived somewhere that had no/lax smog laws and testing, I'd probably go full race....although I like the price of the Greddy a lot.

CourageOO7 06-14-2007 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by dubcac,Jun 14 2007, 11:06 AM
Don't compare kits that have different goals in mind.

The Greddy is much more practical for usable power as a daily driver, and is going to end up being CARB exempt...which is great for us CA people...we won't have to take the kit off to get smogged, or worry about getting sent to the state ref. It's designed to be reliable, bolt it on, plug in the Emanage, and go. You would have no problem putting some miles on it.

The InlinePro kit (along with the mass of other kits) are designed to be more for high end power. The Greddy kit makes full boost at 3800rpm, something like 50whp more than the inline pro at 4500 rpm and 2psi less boost, but the smaller turbo also will make less top end power than the InlinePro. That seems like fun to me...but I love cars that drive smooth.

Figure out what YOUR goals are for the car...power wise, and how you want it to drive, and then figure out what you want. If it was me, I'd be going with the Greddy kit because of my CA residence. If I lived somewhere that had no/lax smog laws and testing, I'd probably go full race....although I like the price of the Greddy a lot.

Okay, gotta chime in. Your post is erroneous because it doesn't specify any specs on the particular Inline kit you are referring to.

To the poster:

Greddy has a great idea...an all in one solution with no tuning necessary. HOWEVER, an Inline kit with a GT3076R turbo would be a great solution if you aren't trying to make HUGE hp and still want excellent low rev response.

Is it possible Inline may consider selling pre-tuned EMS's with their kits? That would be neat!

han racer 06-14-2007 10:30 AM

Bottom Line:
-If you live in Cali & need it to be legal get Greddy
-If you live elsewhere get InlinePro

dubcac 06-14-2007 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by CourageOO7,Jun 14 2007, 10:18 AM
Okay, gotta chime in. Your post is erroneous because it doesn't specify any specs on the particular Inline kit you are referring to.

To the poster:

Greddy has a great idea...an all in one solution with no tuning necessary. HOWEVER, an Inline kit with a GT3076R turbo would be a great solution if you aren't trying to make HUGE hp and still want excellent low rev response.

Is it possible Inline may consider selling pre-tuned EMS's with their kits? That would be neat!

Erroneous!! Erroneous!!! :p

I believe it was the standard InlinePro kit, no turbo upgrade...can't recall the EMS.

Believe me, if I didn't live in CA I'd seriously consider the InlinePro, along with Full-Race. I'm not trying to knock it at all, just showing the differences.

DjSkrilla 06-14-2007 12:12 PM

Don't forget that with witch ever kit you buy, you're gonna need a better clutch. So add $600-$800 for a clutch+install. Also..do you have anyone remotely near you that has experience tuning with the EMS? If not, then Greddy would be a better choice.

Kondor999 06-14-2007 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by AusS2000,Jun 14 2007, 05:14 AM

The Greddy kit has no BOV, so I don't consider it complete, either. Although it's certainly more complete than the InlinePRO.

That having been said, InlinePRO all the way. Do it right or not at all. I would assert that, even with the added cost of EMS and injectors, the InlinePRO is a better value.

Just my .02 (after reading threads for 2 weeks staright on this very subject!).

AusS2000 06-14-2007 04:19 PM

Looks to me like the Greddy is aimed directly at the SC market.

Similar price, similar top end, complete kit (except BOV apparently) and CARB legal (pending).

AusS2000 06-14-2007 04:22 PM

What is the deal with the BOV BTW? Is there a port for one on the piping? Or are Greddy suggesting you don't need one? If so, they have misjudged their market.

dubcac 06-14-2007 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Kondor999,Jun 14 2007, 12:20 PM
The Greddy kit has no BOV, so I don't consider it complete, either. Although it's certainly more complete than the InlinePRO.

That having been said, InlinePRO all the way. Do it right or not at all. I would assert that, even with the added cost of EMS and injectors, the InlinePRO is a better value.

Just my .02 (after reading threads for 2 weeks staright on this very subject!).

The Greddy kit doesn't have a BOV because it wouldn't be CARB legal, because it's venting gases to atmosphere. Granted it is not exhaust gas, but they don't care. It doesn't really need a BOV anyways. Going with the InlinePro kit isn't the right way to do it, it just depends on what you're looking to get out of it.

AusS2000 06-14-2007 04:58 PM

Hmmm, my set up has a BOV but doesn't vent to atmo either:

http://s2000.byteserve.com.au/turbo/complete.jpg

Are you saying it has no bypass/BOV at all and doesn't need one because of the low pressure, or that it has a bypass like mine and the Comptech setup?

Also, Vortech's SC has a BOV yet has CARB certification.

Toad17 06-14-2007 05:07 PM

INLINEPRO FTMFW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spec_Ops2087 06-14-2007 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by dubcac,Jun 14 2007, 07:52 PM
The Greddy kit doesn't have a BOV because it wouldn't be CARB legal, because it's venting gases to atmosphere. Granted it is not exhaust gas, but they don't care. It doesn't really need a BOV anyways. Going with the InlinePro kit isn't the right way to do it, it just depends on what you're looking to get out of it.

eh I can see where they are coming from. On the dyno I can see some exhaust gases shoot out the bov (at least I think it is).

AusS2000 06-14-2007 08:09 PM

I hope not. The only way that could happen would be if there was a backfire in the intake manifold.

The whole "no vent to atmo' thing comes from the days of draw through carburettors. Air and fuel mixed before the turbo so the BOV was effectively ejecting a flamable mix.

The current rules are quite simple. If it comes in through a filter it leaves either via the exhaust or a another filter.

Spec_Ops2087 06-14-2007 08:14 PM

well as I said, I'm not sure...it might have just been the compressed air coming out of the small opening hence seeing some white "gas" come out.

AusS2000 06-14-2007 08:37 PM

That's how rumours start. What you're seeing is water vapour in the air.

honda9krpm 06-14-2007 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by AusS2000,Jun 15 2007, 01:39 PM
I hope not. The only way that could happen would be if there was a backfire in the intake manifold.

The whole "no vent to atmo' thing comes from the days of draw through carburettors. Air and fuel mixed before the turbo so the BOV was effectively ejecting a flamable mix.

The current rules are quite simple. If it comes in through a filter it leaves either via the exhaust or a another filter.

Not necessarily

That smoke is quite often and could be "blowby fume" from the cam cover;
the combusted gas in the combustion chambers leaks through the piston rings, then track its way to the cam cover, out the cam vent, into the intake before the turbo, through the turbo and out the BOV

AusS2000 06-14-2007 11:53 PM

I'm sure that is hypothetically possible but I doubt that Greddy would be using a dodgey old blowey motor for their development.

My money is on water vapour.

TraviS2000 06-15-2007 05:23 AM

I have a question about the Greddy kit...

If the engine management is locked down, how will it respond to other mods? For example, if Greddy programs the thing for a stock car plus their turbo, what happens when you add full exhaust w/ test pipe? Do you get the full affects and will the management be able to account for it?

slimjim8201 06-15-2007 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by TraviS2000,Jun 15 2007, 08:23 AM
I have a question about the Greddy kit...

If the engine management is locked down, how will it respond to other mods? For example, if Greddy programs the thing for a stock car plus their turbo, what happens when you add full exhaust w/ test pipe? Do you get the full affects and will the management be able to account for it?

The locked EMS is only necessary for cars that require CARB certification. Owners who need CARB cert won't be running test pipes.

That said, adding a test pipe and a free exhaust is going to call for a retune. One downside to the GReddy kit, assuming they lock their EMS.

This kit fits neatly right above the Comptech/Vortech offerings and right below everything else.

It's the California turbo kit.

AusS2000 06-15-2007 05:38 AM

It's an E-manage so as long as they haven't locked the data tuning for other mods will be straightforward.

If they have you'd have to retune from scratch but not a lot more work.

Snowy_Beast 06-15-2007 06:14 AM

Is there a way to know if they lock it?

I'll call to find out,

About the Inline Pro set up
[QUOTE]-InlinePRO Cast Iron T3/T4 Turbo Exhaust Manifold
-Precision Turbo GT 35/55B or GT35/61E Turbocharger
-Turbosmart 38mm Wastegate
-InlinePRO Billet Blow-Off Valve
-2.5" Mandrel-Bent Aluminum Charge Pipes (mirror polished)
-InlinePRO 600hp Front Mount Intercooler
-High Temp Charge Pipe Couplers & Reducers

rzanys2k 06-15-2007 09:09 AM

BOV $200 FOR HKS OR GREDDY $30 FOR THE FLANGE AND 1 STEP COLDER NGK PLUGS $35

TraviS2000 06-15-2007 09:59 AM

This article talks about the Greddy kit putting 302 to the wheels of a 2006 S2000:

http://www.importtuner.com/features/0704_i...rbo_honda_s2000

Snowy_Beast 06-15-2007 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by TraviS2000,Jun 15 2007, 09:59 AM
This article talks about the Greddy kit putting 302 to the wheels of a 2006 S2000:

http://www.importtuner.com/features/0704_i...rbo_honda_s2000

Good read :thumbup:

Spec_Ops2087 06-15-2007 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Snowy_Beast,Jun 15 2007, 09:14 AM
Is there a way to know if they lock it?

I'll call to find out,

About the Inline Pro set up

What mainly is missing? EM, Clutch, what else?

And how much would cost a BOV?

EM, clutch, injectors, dyno time...

Luke530 06-15-2007 10:31 PM

The only problem I have with the inline kit is cutting the frame... I just wouldn't want to go there.

What kind of power potential does the greddy have?

slimjim8201 06-16-2007 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Luke530,Jun 16 2007, 01:31 AM
The only problem I have with the inline kit is cutting the frame... I just wouldn't want to go there.

What kind of power potential does the greddy have?

It's not necessary if you pick the right turbo :thumbup:

Birdie 06-16-2007 08:21 AM

GT3071 or GT3076 for the WIN!!! good turbo for any 2.0 and 2.2 liter engines!

Another option is to get the Ball Bearing 50 trim turbo. A 500whp that provide early spool and good respond! Probably cheaper then the GT series turbo too.

gusrock77 06-16-2007 09:40 AM

im currently running a supercharger with the following mods:

Comptech Supercharger w/ aftercooler,Comptech header;ASP 12psi pulley;RC 750cc injectors;AEM EMS 1052U;HKS SSQV BOV; Science of Speed throttle bodie;SuperTech titanium valves and retainers, Krank Vent minis; HonData gasket; GReddy oil catch tank;HKS carbon Ti exhaust w/ 3in custom piping; Megan test pipe; ACT HD Pressure plate,street disc; Comptech lightweight flywheel

i love the power im getting with my current set up, just need a 4.57R final and Comptech diff to call it a day.

If i was to go with the GReddy turbo kit and dyno it with my AEM EMS and a test pipe, would i get good numbers? id still use my 3" exhaust too.

Snowy_Beast 06-18-2007 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by gusrock77,Jun 16 2007, 09:40 AM
If i was to go with the GReddy turbo kit and dyno it with my AEM EMS and a test pipe, would i get good numbers? id still use my 3" exhaust too.

I would like to know that very well...

B.o.T.
I'll have to find a good tuners if I go with Inline... the Greddy Kit I could install my-self so I'll save a lot in $$$ but the InlinePro I'll doubt I'll be fine doing it my-self.

Guys know some reputated shop around QC, Canada?

Pointblank 06-19-2007 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by han racer,Jun 14 2007, 11:30 AM
Bottom Line:
-If you live in Cali & need it to be legal get Greddy
-If you live elsewhere get InlinePro

My thoughts exactly. Only reason why I haven't even gave a second thought at InlinePro is because I'd be done for out here in Cali.

nearwater4me 06-19-2007 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by CourageOO7,Jun 14 2007, 10:18 AM

:iagree:

The only reason I'm considering the Greddy kit is because it comes pre-tuned.
I can't trust any tuners thats nearby. (Detroit, MI)

Dan

common reactor 06-19-2007 07:41 PM

Definitely Inline Pro...but don't forget that you need a lot more than just a kit. If you're going new, it's going to be anywhere from 7-10k to go from N/A to turbo.

AusS2000 06-19-2007 09:35 PM

So it's a bit like S2000 or 911.

"Definitely 911 FTW.. but don't forget it will cost you twice as much."

There's no doubt the inline kit is a better set up, but if you budget doesn't stretch to 10K, you only want 100hp, or you live in Cali the Greddy has to be a front runner.

BTW, don't think I'm knocking Inline. My set up is far more like the Inline kit in terms of upgradability, power and cost. I just see the Greddy as a good entry level kit.

common reactor 06-19-2007 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by AusS2000,Jun 19 2007, 09:35 PM

There's no doubt the inline kit is a better set up, but if you budget doesn't stretch to 10K, you only want 100hp, or you live in Cali the Greddy has to be a front runner.

BTW, don't think I'm knocking Inline. My set up is far more like the Inline kit in terms of upgradability, power and cost. I just see the Greddy as a good entry level kit.

It makes sense to get either, my way of seeing it though is that he'll have to spend about the same amount either way, and he'll gain much more power with the Inline kit.

AusS2000 06-19-2007 10:13 PM

How come? The Greddy kit looks pretty complete to me. It even has a down pipe that mates to the stock exhaust. And the E-manage is pretuned.

I know where the extra expense is in a turbo kit. I've spent it and still am spending it. But the Greddy looks pretty turn key to me.

Ray K. 06-20-2007 04:49 AM

yeah I don't see the Greddy as a bad option at all. The turbo is supposed to be like an 18G, so I would assume it can make some decent power if you turn up the boost a bit. I like how clean it seems to be and that it's quiet with no dump tube. I would consider it.

common reactor 06-20-2007 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by AusS2000,Jun 19 2007, 10:13 PM
How come? The Greddy kit looks pretty complete to me. It even has a down pipe that mates to the stock exhaust. And the E-manage is pretuned.

I know where the extra expense is in a turbo kit. I've spent it and still am spending it. But the Greddy looks pretty turn key to me.

I honestly couldn't tell you exactly why, I know very little about the Greddy kit. But from what I've heard on this forum from talking to people with it, the power you gain is very low compared to other type of kits.

Tom Jr 06-20-2007 09:26 AM

There seems to be plenty of agreement that the Greddy is the way to go if one lives in California.

What about states that require the original engine computer for the OBD-II emissions test? In these states, the AEM EMS seems to be pretty much out of the question, leaving solutions such as the E-Manage. If one is going to go with the E-Manage anyway, is the Greddy now a viable option or is the Inline Pro setup still worth it?

In other words, with the E-Manage, will the Inline Pro setup be so limited that one might as well go with the more plug-n-play Greddy?

Thoughts?

Snowy_Beast 06-21-2007 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by AusS2000,Jun 19 2007, 09:35 PM

Greedy = good entry kit...

InlinePro = Best potential, best numbers between both.

Now, what if I go for a used InlinePro set up?
What do I have to look for when I buy one? I had an offert and I'm seriously thinking about getting it.

Here's what's the deal...

-InlinePRO Cast Iron T3/T4 Turbo Exhaust Manifold
-Precision SC61 Turbocharger
-Turbosmart 38mm Wastegate
-InlinePRO Billet Blow-Off Valve
-2.5" Mandrel-Bent Aluminum Charge Pipes (mirror polished)
-InlinePRO 600hp Front Mount Intercooler
-High Temp Charge Pipe Couplers & Reducers

common reactor 06-21-2007 11:06 AM

-AEM EMS (for best potential)
-injectors (probably 650cc for the power you want)
-fuel pump
-clutch
-headgasket (if you're looking for over 400whp to be safe)

And don't forget install. Inline Pro charges anywhere from $1300-$1700 I believe. You'd be looking at $8-$10K if you went new.

Snowy_Beast 06-21-2007 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by MGP,Jun 21 2007, 11:06 AM
-AEM EMS (for best potential)
-injectors (probably 650cc for the power you want)
-fuel pump
-clutch
-headgasket (if you're looking for over 400whp to be safe)

And don't forget install. Inline Pro charges anywhere from $1300-$1700 I believe. You'd be looking at $8-$10K if you went new.

So my extra cost would be for the AEM EMS, injectors 650cc, the fuel pump and the Clutch.
Maybe the Head gasket to be safe... (I'd be happy with 350whp no need for more now)
So I'm looking roughly at what in term of extra cost?

$2,000 without the head gasket? :confused:

I'm planning to install it with a friend of mine. He has a fairly good knowledge in cars and turbo and he is an expert in BMW Turbo system.

Now the Dyno time would be extra I know...

Thanks a lot for the info

common reactor 06-21-2007 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Snowy_Beast,Jun 21 2007, 12:57 PM
So my extra cost would be for the AEM EMS, injectors 650cc, the fuel pump and the Clutch.
Maybe the Head gasket to be safe... (I'd be happy with 350whp no need for more now)
So I'm looking roughly at what in term of extra cost?

$2,000 without the head gasket? :confused:

I'm planning to install it with a friend of mine. He has a fairly good knowledge in cars and turbo and he is an expert in BMW Turbo system.

Now the Dyno time would be extra I know...

Thanks a lot for the info

It's not a crazy idea to install it yourself or with a friend...but IMO you should consider paying someone to professionally install it. I'm sure if your friend knows a lot about turbo systems (for BMW's) he knows quite a bit, but the way a german car works and our cars is apples and oranges. Just make sure everything is done right, cause otherwise its money wasted.

Snowy_Beast 09-27-2007 05:12 AM

This is it... I took my decision, it will be InlinePro

So I tried to call Ya at Inlinepro but didn't got an answer. I'll try later on.

I was wondering if he had an email I could use?!?

8kGoodENuff 09-27-2007 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Ray K.,Jun 20 2007, 04:49 AM
yeah I don't see the Greddy as a bad option at all. The turbo is supposed to be like an 18G, so I would assume it can make some decent power if you turn up the boost a bit. I like how clean it seems to be and that it's quiet with no dump tube. I would consider it.

I've been keeping an eye on the Greddy Kit because I'm thinking about purchasing one myself at some point, and I've read that the kit is set at 7 psi... making about 300 whp. I also read somewhere that the tune that comes with the EMU is capable of being used with 10 psi, which brings the power up to 350 whp.

Like everyone said... it depends on what you want. Cheaper, good enough power to be fast, or a more expensive and making huge amounts of power.

I personally just want something that will keep up with pretty much anything on the road but still have reliability... oh and cheaper is always good... lol.

Andre

ionlylive 09-27-2007 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by 8kGoodENuff,Sep 27 2007, 06:15 AM

I've been keeping an eye on the Greddy Kit because I'm thinking about purchasing one myself at some point, and I've read that the kit is set at 7 psi... making about 300 whp. I also read somewhere that the tune that comes with the EMU is capable of being used with 10 psi, which brings the power up to 350 whp.

there is no way that the greddy kit 'out of box' will make 350whp tuned to 10psi...it's said to make around 300 tops (and im sure thats with a good tune, which is hard to find for Emanage :rolleyes: ) .....buuuuuuttt there hasn't been enough time to see how this kit will react with EMS and greddy upgrades

Spec_Ops2087 09-27-2007 08:19 AM

Someone somewhere said 10psi on the greddy kit yeilds ~300rwhp. The stock 7psi is only about 280rwhp. For 350rwhp your looking at headgasket boost ranges which means even more psi.

CalBear07 09-27-2007 01:00 PM

Wait, so if you add a BOV to the Greddy Kit, it is no longer CARB legal (assuming the kit itself gets approved somewhere down the line, of course)?

Pawan 09-27-2007 01:26 PM

Take my word on this, it won't take long to get used to 300 hp. Spend more now and you'll spend less later. If the power is not enough now 300 won't be enough later.

There is no comparison between piggyback (E-manage) and standalone AEM EMS. Of course, Greddy is going to be cheaper but you get what you pay for.

Two good things about Greddy. Price and legal issue (if approved). Everything else, hands down Inlinepro! :burnrubr:

Pawan

S2Kart 09-27-2007 02:49 PM

Definitely go Inline Pro if you are after 400 HP. Apples and oranges.

On the Greddy side, here's the dyno plot from Trust for the Greddy AP1 kit. HP:
(note it's metric units)
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...915b71596a.jpg
and torque
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...993822f0bc.jpg
so 302 HP/ 202 TQ with the cat in place, little 60mm exhaust, and at 7psi is on par with anyone's turbo in this size range. The tune is conservative also.

You can always do one or more of the following: bump up to 10 psi, 2.5"-3" exhaust, test pipe, ported throttle body - and make more power like lots of the quoted power numbers of cars in this thread so far.
For $3900, the ability to pass OBDII inspection, and upgradability on par with any other setup (up to ~10psi) the Greddy makes perfect sense for plenty of people.

Again, if you want 400HP+ go Inline Pro. If high 12's with nice torque down low is enough, then Greddy works.

brilliant 09-27-2007 04:11 PM

gusrock77 09-28-2007 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by S2Kart,Sep 27 2007, 02:49 PM
Definitely go Inline Pro if you are after 400 HP. Apples and oranges.

On the Greddy side, here's the dyno plot from Trust for the Greddy AP1 kit. HP:
(note it's metric units)
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...915b71596a.jpg
and torque
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...993822f0bc.jpg
so 302 HP/ 202 TQ with the cat in place, little 60mm exhaust, and at 7psi is on par with anyone's turbo in this size range. The tune is conservative also.

You can always do one or more of the following: bump up to 10 psi, 2.5"-3" exhaust, test pipe, ported throttle body - and make more power like lots of the quoted power numbers of cars in this thread so far.
For $3900, the ability to pass OBDII inspection, and upgradability on par with any other setup (up to ~10psi) the Greddy makes perfect sense for plenty of people.

Again, if you want 400HP+ go Inline Pro. If high 12's with nice torque down low is enough, then Greddy works.

this sounds good. i am using most of the stuff already with my CTSC anyway.
-AEM EMS 1052U
-Science of Speed big bore throttle
-HKS carbon Ti muffler w/ 3" piping
-test pipe
-750cc RC injectors

i am quite sure the GReddy kit is capable of putting down some good numbers.

i can get the GReddy turbo kit for pretty cheap from one of my boys but now id have to find someone to buy my Comptech supercharger w/ aftercooler.

Snowy_Beast 09-28-2007 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by gusrock77,Sep 28 2007, 07:40 PM
i can get the GReddy turbo kit for pretty cheap from one of my boys but now id have to find someone to buy my Comptech supercharger w/ aftercooler.

I might have that someone...

good friend of mine.

PM your info I'll forward it to him

Pawan 09-29-2007 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by gusrock77,Sep 28 2007, 07:40 PM
this sounds good. i am using most of the stuff already with my CTSC anyway.
-AEM EMS 1052U
-Science of Speed big bore throttle
-HKS carbon Ti muffler w/ 3" piping
-test pipe
-750cc RC injectors

i am quite sure the GReddy kit is capable of putting down some good numbers.

If you already have all that. You may want to look into Pfabrications.com kit for $3500.

AcePlease 09-29-2007 02:57 PM

InLine Pro is sick. I only live 30 minutes from them.

I'm going with InLine.

MICrew

plokivos 01-24-2008 06:56 PM

I hate to bring this up from the dead, but.

if you ever done any driving other than straight line drag racing, you'll understand that it's more valuable to have a turbo kit that spools up quick and let you have a lot of usable power in a RPM band.

the obvious choice is greddy. You get this, with 3mm gasket, and boost up to 14psi or so, it might look like you'll loose in the whp race, but honestly, only the people who doesn't know play the whp game.

It's all about how much whp you'll get throughout the rpm range that really matters.

hell, why not just stick a GT42 in the front of s2k? I mean, it'll spool up at 8000rpm, but you'll see a hell of a lot more power than any other turbo kit in the market?

Obviously, if you're into drag racing, or street racing, it'll be ideal for you to stick a 60 trim or something bigger in your S, but for people who actually auto-x and road race, greddy kit seems to be the perfect kit for it.

I'm telling you if you hit about 400whp, you'll need to have some serious traction on your S, otherwise, you'll just stand still burning your tires out in the middle of the road.

When I bought this car, drove it for a month and said to myself, man, this car will be perfect with about 80whp more, and here comes a kit that does just that and it's 99% complete and it looks hell of a better than the inline pro kit when it's installed.

I had an Evo with 16g stock turbo, and it was great at 23psi daily, so with 18g in an S with 14psi daily must feel great as well.

if you can't have the 3mm gasket installed or if you do install 3mm gasket and want more power, you could always buy a meth injection kit for about $500 and boost up to 18psi or more and make ton more whp with the 18g. If 16g could make 400whp to the wheels, 18G will be more than capable of making over 400whp.

for $800 more, buschur racing could turn your 18g into 20G and for little more, you could get the titanium shaft/turbine with it. that's just nice,.

AusS2000 01-24-2008 07:02 PM

Plov - your point is quite valid, but I bet after you install the Greddy you'll drive it for a month and say to yourself, man, this car will be perfect with about 80 more whp.

Also, it helps not to be so critical of others choices. I have a custom kit based on LoveFab's V1 manifold and a GT3071. I would swear this is an ideal turbo for this car and it has plenty of scope for improvement.

Spec_Ops2087 01-24-2008 08:09 PM

plokivos, Some people don't want their turbo to spool at 2k rpms....

I rather get some DD without sucking through the worlds gasoline supply becuase my turbo spools at basically idle :)

Chris_Lum 01-24-2008 08:10 PM

Like plokivos said, it really depends on what you want/like to do w/ the car, drag or autox/RR. Almost everytime there is a thread of someone asking what turbo kit they should get, someone always says, you'll get used to the power and always want more. If you are a drag racer, or just like to go fast in a straight line (and street race a lot) you will probably get greedy and want more power once you start loosing to cars.

For me, and a lot of other people, 300 whp is MORE than enough. AutoX and RR require more skill and car setup than power. For whoever is shopping around for a turbo kit, decide what kind of driver you are, then buy the kit that suits you. If you are the kind of person that hates loosing at a stoplight race, on the drag strip, or down the highway, then you are probably the kind of person that will continuously want more and more power.

AusS2000 01-25-2008 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087,Jan 25 2008, 03:09 PM
plokivos, Some people don't want their turbo to spool at 2k rpms....

Hmm, I disagree with this. You control the power and boost with your foot not your stop watch.

S2Kart 01-25-2008 05:48 AM

Ah yes, more slams to the Greddy kit - why all the Greddy hatin' ? :D

* $3900
* OBDII compliant
* CARB legal
* It's fully spooled at 3900 rpms, not 2K
* You can easily drive all day long at any speed without going into boost
* Not a re-flash, so you are not stuck with a fixed tune

With the base tune, std boost, and OEM cat, the power is nice. The kit fills in low/mid range power that the F20C lacks. This is where it really shines, much better than centrifugal SC IMO- which I did not care for (I almost went with BRP).
Since more is always better, I added an AEM boost controller, Berk high flow cat, and did minor touch-ups to the timing and fuel - puts me at $4,325.

Granted, I need to get dyno'd to see where the car is at - but the power is more than enough for this little car - NO WAY do I want or need more - speaking here from a long line of fast cars. I'm not out to kill Z06's.