S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Howling under the hood

Old 09-09-2009, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Howling under the hood

I put up a post earlier about a very annoying sound once the car heated up to operating temps and it is progressively getting louder and earlier. I first noticed it during a cruise through the mountains and since then it has gotten predominantly louder.

In any case most things point to the turbo; however, I would like to see if anyone has heard this sound before in any other turbo'd car.

I'm suspecting that because it was slightly rubbing up against the side wall, the 6 months that it has been on the car has finally taken its toll and has slightly bent the shaft. If anyone can confirm this that would ease my mind. I just don't want to think it's something, when it is something entirely different!

Cheers boys!!

Odd sounds in turbo s2k
Old 09-09-2009, 08:06 AM

well if you know the turbo is bad then that is most likely it, because it sounds like it only happens when there is a load on the engine (load spools the turbo...)

But the shaft shouldn't have bent just from being used for 6 months. I'd be pissed if my turbo shaft just bent from normal use!
Old 09-09-2009, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by m R g S r,Sep 9 2009, 08:06 AM
well if you know the turbo is bad then that is most likely it, because it sounds like it only happens when there is a load on the engine (load spools the turbo...)

But the shaft shouldn't have bent just from being used for 6 months. I'd be pissed if my turbo shaft just bent from normal use!
Well I was questioning if it's the turbo becaust upon inspection, the blades still spin quite freely and there is no real smoke coming out from the exhaust.

Also, the turbo was used and it didn't start making this noise till recently and as I said, I'm wondering if it got bent not from everyday use, but rather from the compressor housing bumping on the side wall every time the engine shifted. If the engine is essentially on an axis and simply pivots and the turbine housing is secured onto it and then it moves but the compressor housing is the part that bares the brunt of that movement by hitting the wall, wouldn't that cause bending? I'm not sure, this is just a hypothesis. First time turboing a RWD. Never had this problem with the FWD!! haha
Old 09-09-2009, 10:17 AM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I dont think its possible to bend an internal shaft from the outer part of the turbo bumping into the frame under acceleration. There is something else going on here. Could it be crank walk noise?
Old 09-09-2009, 10:41 AM

I have heard cars make some very goofy sounds when they have a boost leak somewhere.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:22 PM

How are your gears feeling when you are shiffting?
Old 09-09-2009, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you touched the turbo to see if there is shaft play? it sounds like the turbo is hitting the wall during boost, so the shaft may be un-balanced. Have you checked to see the the turbo manifold bolts are torq'd correctly?
Old 09-09-2009, 12:40 PM

bad turbo i think
Old 09-09-2009, 12:50 PM

Yeah, have checked all the bolts and nothing is loose. When I had the turbo off to inspect it, I made a notch on the sidewall so there's enough clearance, but I reckon it may be too little too late because when I did pull it off, there were obvious signs that the compressor housing was butting and rubbing up agaisnt the side wall.

the turbo as well will boost fine for the first 10-15 minutes of drivig then that sound comes in once it's warm.

Again, I just want to confirm that it's the turbo and I don't have "bigger" issues at hand, and yes, I've checked the shaft play and there's a bit, but I've seen a lot worse and the turbo also spins when I look at it when I take the intake tube off. I'm just miffed as to how it can still be spinning but not boosting.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is making a sort of howling noise too, yours sounds a lot worse though (sorry).

Quick Reply: Howling under the hood