S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Leak from turbo inlet...

Old 12-05-2006, 04:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Leak from turbo inlet...

I am having a inlinePRO turbo kit (with GT30R turbo) installed on my S2000. The install is almost complete and another issue came up--apparently the "turbo inlet" is leaking. This kit was designed such that the turbo oil feed line goes to a special drain plug on the oil pan. Apparently this might not be the best design as that is a location where there is a lot of oil and it can cause the turbo to receive too much oil and leak (according to my installer). So, the installer plans on draining the oil, dropping the oil pan, and tapping another fitting for the oil feed line.

Any thoughts? Has anybody experienced this problem?
Old 12-05-2006, 05:45 AM

lol what i dn't understand is, how do you know oil is leaking if the car hasn't been started?? I'm guessing that it hasn't been started since you say the install is "almost" complete? Now when you talk about "turbo inlet" are you talking about the intake side??? Was this a used turbo?? How high is the return fitting in the oil pan, it should be as high up as possible. Tap another fitting for the oil feed line??? whats wrong with the feed line??? The fitting in the oil pan is the return line, the oil feed goes to the top of the turbo, return goes to the oil pan. Its self-explanitory. Is there a kink in the oil return line going to the oil pan??
Old 12-05-2006, 05:49 AM

You must be referring to the turbo's oil return line right? Oil must return above the oil level in the engine. The oil drain plug is the worst possible location. Good for "plug and play" install, bad for turbo's oil seals.

Darryl
Old 12-05-2006, 05:52 AM
Banned

Oil feed from the oil pan?
Please go get your car back from the installer.

there is an oil feed on top of the turbo which a stainless steel line comes from a tee in the oil pressure sensor. There is a flange that the other connects to, that flange has a gasket(which might be missing)

The bottom side has a flange with a gasket, that hooks up to a return line which goes into your oil pan. The oil pan should be tapped and a fitting welded into place near the top of the pan.

I do not not understand this oil leak if the car is not finished
Old 12-05-2006, 06:11 AM

When I say almost complete, I mean that the turbo kit itself is installed and only a few items such as the oil pressure/boost sensors need to be hooked up and the car tuned. The install was at the point where the car could be started and checked for leaks. That is when this leak was found. I am no mechanic and am not familiar with the specific terminology (or what it all means), but the installer said oil was leaking from the "turbo inlet".

inlinePRO designed this kit such that the OEM oil drain plug is replaced with a special drain plug with a fitting on it which allows the oil line coming from the turbo to attach to it. It could be a design flaw...I am not the one to say so.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:24 AM
Banned

You are talking about 2 different things here

OIL INLET

OIL OUTLET

Im guessing the leak is coming from where the drain plug used to be.

DO NOT RETURN OIL FROM THE TURBO TO THAT SPOT.
Tap the pan.

OIL BACK UP CAN CAUSE BLOWN SEALS

Its ok for the comptech SC set up but not a turbo set up
Old 12-05-2006, 06:24 AM

I just talked to inlinePRO and they have never had a problem with their setup on the oil pan. They said that a ball bearing turbo requires less oil, that there is less oil to drain and as a result draining it through the drain plug is ok. Well, it may be working for other people but it isn't working for me. They said that my installers idea of tapping a new fitting higher up on the oil pan will work perfectly fine, but they tried to design the kit such that this type of work could be avoided.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had tapped the pan in my kit and I was getting oil backup through the turbo inlet, so I tapped the girdle and the backup disappeared.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Venomous S,Dec 5 2006, 07:25 AM
I had tapped the pan in my kit and I was getting oil backup through the turbo inlet, so I tapped the girdle and the backup disappeared.
Sounds like you experienced the same issue. What is a "girdle"? Something on the oil pan?
Old 12-05-2006, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Ultimate Racing,Dec 5 2006, 06:49 AM
You must be referring to the turbo's oil return line right? Oil must return above the oil level in the engine. The oil drain plug is the worst possible location. Good for "plug and play" install, bad for turbo's oil seals.

Darryl
It maybe bad for the turbo, if there is NO OIL restrictor.

The ball bearings use a oil restrictor, therefore there shouldn't be an issue with oil in the turbo. We have made 400-500+ rwhp with this same style setup and it has worked.

I'm not sure why there is oil leaking from where its at as I can't see the car right now.

Justin, if you could have the shop take some pics of the setup, and send me some pics, maybe we can help take care of some stuff. Or even have the shop call us...

Quick Reply: Leak from turbo inlet...