S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Forced Induction (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-forced-induction-142/)
-   -   Leak from turbo inlet... (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-forced-induction-142/leak-turbo-inlet-443699/)

kenyellows2k 12-05-2006 07:48 AM

I use oil return to drain bolt banjo, no problem so far. I have Gt35r ball bearing, oil is use mostly for turbo lubrication so it doesnt require too much flow and its water cool.

gt30r 12-05-2006 07:55 AM

Here is a pic of mine, http://www.metalmanfab.com/metalmanfab_022.com

Ultimate Racing 12-05-2006 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by ya@inlinepro,Dec 5 2006, 11:48 AM
It maybe bad for the turbo, if there is NO OIL restrictor.

The ball bearings use a oil restrictor, therefore there shouldn't be an issue with oil in the turbo. We have made 400-500+ rwhp with this same style setup and it has worked.

I agree that ball-bearing turbos use less oil and a restrictor is often used to feed. But we're talking about the turbo's return line here right? It needs return above the engine's oil level otherwise you'll have oil backed up into the line and a turbo unable to drain.

Darryl

Ultimate Racing 12-05-2006 09:55 AM

Here's a picture of a stock Mazdaspeed Protege's turbo oil return.

http://www.ultimate-racing.com/mazdaspeed.JPG

It's actually above the oil pan because it needs to return above oil level. This is why we tap our S2000 blocks where we do. Oil pan is not always the best spot. Some engines just happen to have shallower oil pans than others.

And just so you know, the Mazdaspeed uses a GT-series ball-bearing turbo from the factory.

Darryl

ya@inlinepro 12-05-2006 10:46 AM

I understand they use it from factory, and my point is we have done it for a while this way and it works.

You and I both know it works both ways, if you feel that your way is better, thats fine its a difference in opinion.

We have several customer that use this method, they drive daily, and make good power. We have tapped the block girdle before, and we have tapped the pan. All the methods we have used, has worked for the ball bearing turbo setups.

Venomous S 12-05-2006 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by 2QYK4U,Dec 5 2006, 10:29 AM
Sounds like you experienced the same issue. What is a "girdle"? Something on the oil pan?

the girdle is what sits in between the engine block and the oil pan.
What the oil pan bolts up to. Basically supports the crank assembly

blues2k3 12-05-2006 03:47 PM

there has always been mixed messages about this topic. As for car manufacturers, there are some likle VW and Audi that does utilize the drain plug to incorporate the turbo drain. Of course this contradicts what Mazda does. Overall, there is not much difference in pressure between the two locations. What can cause one setup to work and another not to is rather dependent on the size of the line, angle of travel and location of the turbo. The higher the turbo sits, the more pressure would be applied on the oil being drained. Greddy also utilizes the stock oil drain bolt to adapt in the turbo drain...I have tried both methods on various of my builds and we did not encounter any problems. We were very conscious of always using a large return and making certain it was never kinked and angled appropriately.

2QYK4U 12-05-2006 04:16 PM

Well, the shop that is doing my install did the following:

1. Tapped a new AN fitting higher up on the oil pan.
2. Swapped out the oil return line that came with the kit with a larger line which uses a -8 AN fitting.
3. Used a smaller "orface" (spelling???) than what was provided with the kit.

Apparently the oil leak is gone, but knowing my luck there will still be issues. My dyno appointment is scheduled for 10 am tomorrow. I will be starting a new thread when everything is completed.

snakeeater 12-05-2006 06:36 PM

Does your installer offer any type of warranty? Judging from this thread there seem to be a lot of issues. I would make them be absolutely certain before they replace the oil restrictor with a smaller one. There is a pretty standardized size for GT turbo's.

The ILP kit has been proven for some time now. I would follow their instructions to the letter, since they are the ones who designed and built the kit. They have done all this troubleshooting many times during development.

Ultimate Racing 12-06-2006 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by blues2k3,Dec 5 2006, 07:47 PM
there has always been mixed messages about this topic. As for car manufacturers, there are some likle VW and Audi that does utilize the drain plug to incorporate the turbo drain. Of course this contradicts what Mazda does. Overall, there is not much difference in pressure between the two locations. What can cause one setup to work and another not to is rather dependent on the size of the line, angle of travel and location of the turbo. The higher the turbo sits, the more pressure would be applied on the oil being drained. Greddy also utilizes the stock oil drain bolt to adapt in the turbo drain...I have tried both methods on various of my builds and we did not encounter any problems. We were very conscious of always using a large return and making certain it was never kinked and angled appropriately.

It's not just Mazda. Anyone ever heard of the 4G63? 2JZGTE?

Turbo oil returns are not pressurized.

As for Greddy offering a drain-plug type return, the only thing I can say about that is that it's "Greddy". They're a big company and can't very well be asking customers to drill for oil return. As for how it affects the turbo seals, just ask their RSX and 350Z turbo kit owners about their blown seals.

Darryl