S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Is my turbo blown?

Old 06-17-2007, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is my turbo blown?

A few days ago, my car started making a wierd noise - at idle and during accelleration. I popped the hood and let it idle, and it make this gurgling airy noise right around the turbo/manifold/wastegate area (I have the Lovefab V1 manifold and Turbonetics T04r turbo). I thought there was an exhaust leak, but was unsure as to what was going on. I drove around for another day and it was still persistent, so I investigated further.

On top of the frame rail (the rail that the InlinePRO guys have to notch out for the turbo to clear) I found a little screw, and noticed that it was the same screw found on the compressor housing on the hotside of the turbo (it would be facing me if you're at the front of the car looking into the engine bay). The screw literally fell out and air was gushing out. I put it back in, and drove to work today. Everything was fine. I started the car after work and it started breaking up and I thought it was maybe the MAP acting up so I let it idle some and made sure I had oil and that the MAP clamps were tight - they were.

I started driving home on the highway, and halfway home the car just kept breaking up and almost cut out numerous times, so I pulled to the side and popped the hood. The same screw had popped out again and was on the same place on the frame rail, another screw on the other side was missing (it was nowhere to be found) and another screw was halfway out. There is black soot all over the place and the turbo makes a constant noise at idle - and finally the car wouldn't stay on for more than a second or two.

Am I going to need a rebuild/new turbo or would finding that other screw fix the problem (I doubt it )?

Oh, I took out the charge pipe into the throttle body and limped the car home on the low cam.

Any help is appreciated
Old 06-17-2007, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is the car holding boost?
Old 06-17-2007, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If that screw is the one holding the turbine housing its not a good sign. If the turbine housing is moving around it could bend, nick or break the turbine fins.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:11 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Pull off your intake and check your turbo for shaft play. It shouldn't have any "in and out" or "side to side" play.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Phillie,Jun 17 2007, 09:40 PM
If that screw is the one holding the turbine housing its not a good sign. If the turbine housing is moving around it could bend, nick or break the turbine fins.
yeah you dont want ANY play in that housing or REAL damage can and will occur!

Keep us updated!
Old 06-18-2007, 12:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerXI,Jun 18 2007, 08:11 AM
Pull off your intake and check your turbo for shaft play. It shouldn't have any "in and out" or "side to side" play.
Well, on a bb turbo you will have some play up/down as far as i'm concerned when there is no oil pressure going through it. I know I can move my shaft up/down to some degree. How much play is safe? Then again, what the hell do i know. Usually my indicator is if I see the compressor housing scratched, then there is an issue.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:31 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

If those are the bolts that hold on your turbine housing (and I think they are), the you need to remove them all and inspect your turbine wheel. If it is at all nicked or damaged, you need to have your turbine repaired. Right now, that is a likely option. If one exhaust bolt is loose, all of the ones on that flange are loose as well. That's the way things work with these bolts.

Tim
Old 06-18-2007, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by batikan,Jun 18 2007, 12:27 AM
is the car holding boost?
It was holding boost when the problem/noise started happening - however on the way home yesterday, I pulled to the side of the highway and the car wouldn't even stay on. It would start, and turn off 3 or 4 seconds later. Eventually, it wouldn't even crank.

I had to take off the charge pipe to the throttle body just so the car would start and be able to drive home.

When the car would start, you could really hear the turbo making noises as I'd put my ear up to it. I will check for shaft play when I get a chance and take some pictures.

You guys think that this is repairable? I should give Turbonetics a call and see what they can do for me.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:44 PM

[QUOTE=timg,Jun 18 2007, 04:31 PM] If those are the bolts that hold on your turbine housing (and I think they are), the you need to remove them all and inspect your turbine wheel.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:03 PM

Alright guys, I pulled off the filter to inspect stuff. Aparantly, 2 bolts are missing. That makes 3 that popped out completely (one I saved as it was on my frame rail). Here are the pics:

An overall shot to show the layout:

A little closer, you can see the black soot everywhere:

Here's where the bolts popped out of:

I took a video showing me checking for shaft play, I'm waiting for Youtube to finish it and will update it once the video is available. There is a bit of side to side, but is it enough to actually need a rebuild?

VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNzhCbScPcI

I'm lost as to what I need to do from here: get this fixed, get a new turbo (GT3076 would be sweet!), or would just plugging the holes with the correct screws make everything work again?

My friend said that I should check my plugs since the car had trouble starting but when I took the charge pipe off it started right up perfectly... any thoughts?

Quick Reply: Is my turbo blown?