S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

NEGLIGENT TUNER?

Old 08-01-2013, 05:22 AM
Dck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEGLIGENT TUNER?

so im at 104k miles, i just installed a custom turbo kit with a turbonetics 60-1.
my tuner had my car NINE days. i called a few times to get updates, on the eight day i called and said i need my dang car.
he kinda gave me the run around so i just showed up to see where he was at with the car,
it was on the dyno but it was cold, i had just installed an oil cooler and gave the tuner extra oil just in case
first thing i did when i saw the car was pull the dip stick, sure enough it was a full quart low. WTF
the next day hes gettin near finished with the tune i get a call sayin that i have a possible bent valve or bad guide,
he did a compression test and a leakdown,
compession test was
200-195-185-199, cyl. 3 was a lil low, but on the leakdown cyl 3 was just out of 90%.
can i claim negliegence and have him pay to fix it or do i not have any recourse?
Old 08-01-2013, 05:55 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

sounds to me like he has been beating his head against the wall trying to figure out why your car would run like shit no matter what he tried when tuning it. only to find out you have bent valves.

of course he probably should have told you he has been having problems.

Did you do a compression/leak down test before boosting your car w 105k miles?
Old 08-01-2013, 06:03 AM

As shitty as it sounds stuff breaks some times at no ones fault, we just can't turbo n/a cars and expect to have zero issues with doing so.some people have great luck with doing so some people are not so lucky ya know.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:12 AM
Dck

Originally Posted by Dck
i am aware stuff breaks, not only was it running very smooth, i babied it since ive had it.
would running it a full quart low on oil be part of the cause for the failure?
my compression was withing like 2% across all cyl. before i installed the turbo and sent it to him.
he also said it was goin smooth until he started doin a few power pulls.

i doubt that this was "just one of those things".
Old 08-01-2013, 06:40 AM

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

If your leak down was fine before tune and not after, the issue is fairly clear. Additionally, the lack of attention to detail regarding your oil is suggestive of poor practice all around. I mean, if he wasn't paying attention about that after you EXPLICITLY mentioned it, what else wasn't paid proper attention. Consistency is important. It's how I make conclusions from observations and I'd argue most other folks do as well.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:48 AM
Dck

Originally Posted by bruthaboost
If your leak down was fine before tune and not after, the issue is fairly clear. Additionally, the lack of attention to detail regarding your oil is suggestive of poor practice all around. I mean, if he wasn't paying attention about that after you EXPLICITLY mentioned it, what else wasn't paid proper attention. Consistency is important. It's how I make conclusions from observations and I'd argue most other folks do as well.
I agree, also the fact that the crimped the HELL outa my ac line in an open area also, they paid no attention to what i said to them, hell i even brought extra oil and they still ran it low, and every day i called them was a different story, always itll be done for sure tomorrow, pretty much everyday for 9 days.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:38 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

9 Days?!?! Sorry to hear about your issues.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:44 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

why would you need to give him extra oil "just in case?"
Old 08-01-2013, 10:00 AM
Dck

Originally Posted by GrandMasterKhan
why would you need to give him extra oil "just in case?"
as stated in the OP i installed an oil cooler, and the car was towed to the shop seeing as i didnt want to run a basemap over 40 miles
so it hadnt been turned over to fill the empty cooler plate, hence the extra oil just in case it was low after filling the voids.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:34 AM

Bad tuning doesn't bend valves, you don't even know what is wrong yet and you are looking to point the finger. Also you brought him an engine that was low on oil maybe he checked it and it was fine and then after a while of running finally went low. Checking oil isn't usually part of the tuning process. Did they install the kit? Why were they messing with ac lines? Parts often fail with no one to blame, faulty injectors, sketchy fuel pumps, mystery fuel octane.

I 100 percent Agree with the customer comes first and helping them out when there is fault on the tuners end but you don't even know what is wrong yet and you are pointing the finger this alone makes me want to initially side with the tuner.

Quick Reply: NEGLIGENT TUNER?