S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

No VTec after Greddy Kit install

Old 06-26-2012, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No VTec after Greddy Kit install

Ladies/ Gents,

I purchased a used Greddy turbo kit. I started pushing it a little to get some air fuel and boost numbers before initial tune on the emanage. I discovered the Greddy turbo manifold is warped. I was okay with this since I got a great deal on the kit and I was planning on upgrading to the PFAB shortly after (its on its way). But starting to accelerate the car, it would cut throttle at 7k rpms (like when the car is cold). Thats 1000 rpms after when vtec is supposed to engauge. The manifold leak is pretty big, and according to my boost gauge, I cant make anything over 4 pounds. I used Walbro blah balh 10W40 6 quarts casteroil and 8 sparkplugs gapped to .24mm.

Why will vtec not engauge?
Why can I not make over 4lbs?

This will be a dynamic thread since I have known problems with this build already and I will update the results as I fix the problems. But could a leak in the manifold cause both of these problems?
Old 06-26-2012, 06:44 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

VTEC won't engage if the coolant temp is too low or the oil pressure is too low. Pretty sure at least.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:25 PM

Using 8 spark plugs on a 4cyl engine may also be the problem.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:30 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

how do you know vtec isn't engaging? sound or feel? vtec engagement feel is less pronounced due to the increase in low end torque.

other things to consider:
-vtec wires on the emanate harness could be disconnected or hooked up wrong (if it was an ap1 or ap2 kit converted).
-previous owner could have raised the vtec engagement point high for some reason.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:00 AM

- my apologies it's 4 spark plugs. I don't know why I said 8.
- oil seems fine on the dip stick, there is a small oil leak from the hose on the oil return line coming from the turbo to the oil pan, but it's nothing major.
- I did lose some coolant while doing the kit install while wrapping a few coolant hoses in heat wrap so I'm going to double check that.
-last night the car dropped the rev limit down to 6k after getting on it a few times and hitting the 7k limit like after the car was warm and had time to adjust? I haven't tried since to see if it will go back up to 7k
- sitting in the parkinglot I punched the gas and the car bounced off of 6k like it was a two step only a bit slower.
-I'm going to get with my tuner tonight ad plug a laptop in, see what's going on. Maybe just the used emanage is what's causing all of this. One of my buddies said that and the manifold should be my first step.
-
Old 06-27-2012, 07:02 AM

I don't hear or feel vtec kick in
Old 06-27-2012, 07:18 AM

Since the preveous greddy kit owner ran an aem with this kit, the emanage was purchased from someone else, person said he sent me the ap1 harness. He said the last car he ran that emanage with was a Greddy kit with a 10lbs tune. It sounded ideal for me just for a base map. Everything hooked up right except for the maf sensor connection.(a small plug by it self). I will also look over the cables and reseat them. I actually had a lot of trouble finding information on installing the Greddy emanage
Piggy back, does anyone know where I could find a step by step or a how to?
Old 06-27-2012, 11:52 AM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Vdim
- my apologies it's 4 spark plugs. I don't know why I said 8.
you probably meant -8 temp plugs...since i don't know why mentioning 4 plugs would be worth anything--i think having spark plugs is a given. did someone tell you to say "8" and you don't know what it means?

Originally Posted by Vdim
Since the preveous greddy kit owner ran an aem with this kit, the emanage was purchased from someone else, person said he sent me the ap1 harness. He said the last car he ran that emanage with was a Greddy kit with a 10lbs tune. It sounded ideal for me just for a base map. Everything hooked up right except for the maf sensor connection.(a small plug by it self). I will also look over the cables and reseat them. I actually had a lot of trouble finding information on installing the Greddy emanage
Piggy back, does anyone know where I could find a step by step or a how to?
please elaborate on the MAP sensor connection? is it still not hooked up right? pictures would help.
What about the emanage install do you need help with? if you have the correct greddy TK ap1 harness and emanage, then you just need to plug the 3 plugs into the emanage and connect the jumper harness between the ECU and engine harness. Nothing to setup unless you are switching from ap2 to ap1 and vice versa. Also i believe the emanage jumper pins need to be changed if you are doing a ap2-ap1 switch. So these are all things to consider.

have you checked out the turbo kti installation instructions and the 1st page of the Ultimate Greddy turbo Kit thread?
Old 06-28-2012, 07:39 AM

I did read the first page on the Greddy kit. I did all of that before kit install. I got with my tuner last night, he said the manifold leak is too big to even start tuning until the pfab comes in. He also said the cut off at 7/6k is emanage related. I have pictures of the last plug that did not connect. I will send pictures tonight.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:47 AM

I was talking about the heat range when I said 8.

Quick Reply: No VTec after Greddy Kit install