S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

recommend me a turbo

Old 08-23-2008, 07:12 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

The AEM drift car was using a disco potato (GT2860RS)at one point and was hitting 400whp.

I was looking at the GT2871R and 2876R before I went Positive displacement.

both the 2871 and the 2876 have hot sides that spool quick but you will need to pick your AR on the hot side to make sure you don't choke off the exhaust flow in the higher RPM.+ you may need a slightly larger wastegate.

the 71 compressor side should have plenty of flow for 315 but would suggest the 76 so you can up the power if you want to at a later time.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chillout18,Aug 23 2008, 06:26 AM
I was looking at geddy kits but seeing how expensive they have got its not worth it. id rather ut my own kit together or buy something used. I've seen a few kits going for around 3k which is where im trying to keep my budget. thanks for the info guys.

when looking at turbos what tells me what it handles and how big they are? I see things like the trim and a/r but not sure how to read those. if someone could explain that to me id appriciate it

thanks again
Sorry to tell you 3k is not going to cut it for a turbo. I would take some time and read more posts.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:20 AM

Those kits your seeing require much more than what your recieving with them. I bought a Full-Race Kit and I had to purchase:

AEM Injector Driver ($400)
AEM EMS 1052 *Undisclosed price but they normally go for ($1000)
Delphi 1200cc Injectors ($300)
ARP Headstuds ($100)
2mm Cometic Headgasket ($120)
3" Exhaust ($400)
Misc Lines & Fittings ($300)
TUNING (N/A I'm tuning my own car, but normally this can run from $400-$1000 for a proper tune)

That isn't everything but I'm too lazy to type it all out. Tuning is going to be crucial to the longevity of your car. After inspecting everything before installing I noticed the exhaust valve guides were worn really bad, so I had headwork done. I would budget for at least $4-5k depending on what you end up getting to get everything done. It's better to have everything ready to go than to find out you need something but you've spent all your money. Good luck and I hope your able to get the turbo kit.

(For the WHP that your looking for, the biggest I'd go is the GT30R, but I would probably run a GT2860RS aka disco potato since it would have a quick spool and the you would be running it just below the efficency range @ the power your looking to make.)
Old 08-23-2008, 10:40 AM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

if you are looking for a kit for under 3000 pm Sinji I believe he has a used greddy kit for around 2500
Old 08-23-2008, 10:47 AM
woo

Greddy kit will not get you to 315 whp @ 9psi with the stock kit. Don't waste your money, unless you want to be Carb legal.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:30 AM

I did go the Inlinepro route and had some annoying issues with the install.

Issues or not the car has been running good overall. BUT as with so many other things, you realize the kit isnt really doing what you want. More items needs to be added.
In this case, stronger clutch proved to be needed even if there has been reports of 360+ whp without slip. Also electronic boost control was needed to get an acceptable power curve. Another thing i had to buy was adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

I have tuned my car 2 times, the first shop I went to knew nothing, the second I found were ace. First time I tuned I had 313whp according to their dynojet. Second time I had 276 whp(with the first tune) at a dynapack with the same tune. After retuning with boost control hit 326 dynapack whp.

I did immidiately after going turbo use E85 fuel. I am boosting 10-11psi and I still have stock compression. At this powerlevel the injectors are just about topped out. Had 350 whp with a slightly more aggressive ignitionmap, but the injectors were topped out over 100% then. And i have the pressure raised to 4,2bar. (~61psi)

I think I would get a more efficient setup with replacing the inline cast manifold with a custom tubular, and also bigger injectors. I am curios tho how much the walbro 255 can handle. Think ill fabricate that manifold during the winter. The target is to not have to gimp the tune just because the injectors cant handle. The car has potential at around 10psi. And the E85 makes that very possible on stock compression.

The drawback with the build is that I have spent over $10000 to get it to where it is now. And that is just pure itemcost with customs and shipping etc.

Chris at ILP was always helpful(maybe called him 10times during the install) , but in some ways I feel ILP overall havent been 100% good with the purchase and the delivery.
Examples:
I got the 700hp "interccoler upgrade" even if they knew i was shooting for 320-350whp. This one was a pain to fit and some bar in the front had to be removed. Alot more cutting plastic than expected.
Injectors did not fit as they said they would (siemens deka 675cc) Connectors were supplied aswell as fuelrail adaptors, but stock manifold lacked a sealingsurface for the O-ring type mounting the deka injectors supported.
Chargepipes did not fit (probably european model related) as the lights were too bulky on the back side. Made a dent in the piping to narrow it down behind the headlights.
Installation instructions are inferior (kit clearly directed to tuningshops)
Later when I ordered a clutchkit im sure we had agreed on a stage 2 kit but in the mail a stage 4 arrived. (This was probably not a bad thing tho, but I do not like surprises)
The turbo I got was supposed to be a garret gt3076r, and it IS a gt3076r(the core is), BUT the housings are precision. This was also nothing that matters much, but still is a lack of information from ILP. Again I don't like surprises.

One thing I would wish from the kit (and what I will fix somehow) is the allocation of the airfilter. The car is noticeably more powerful when just becoming warm, than when it is very warm under the hood. I think the temp where the filter is makes the car suck warm air all the time.

Still I think this is one way to go if you are shooting for something thats durable, something thats capable of big numbers.
The kit places the turbo an a very tight space beside the motor and the clearence with my gt3076r is small, go bigger and you need to cut the frame.
If you wanna go track I suggest some extra oil cooling as the ILP kit removes the small standard water to oil cooler behind the oil filter. This is due to the relocation of the oil filter.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

would a GT2876R with a a/r of .70 be a good choice for a turbo for my application and goals?
Old 08-29-2008, 03:53 PM

go up to a gt30r
Old 08-29-2008, 04:57 PM

Just wantd to say if you look long enough you can get a complet turbo kit for under 3000. I searched and searched and found a guy in Illinois who had to sell his S for something he could afford and needed money for a down payment on another car. He took of his Greddy kit, which he only had on the car for a month (approx. 300 miles) in hopes to get something out of it. He obviously didn't do his research to see how much used ones were going for. He was asking 2350. I got him to 2100, then he found out the shop that unistalled his kit left in the Wallbro FP so he knocked off another 150. I paid $1950 for a barely used Greddy kit that looks brand new! So here is what else I have bought for a fully functional tunable kit:

Greddy kit - no fuel pump - $1950
wallbro 255 FP - 100
SOS dual guage pillar mount - 85
AEM tru boost controller/guage and AEM UEGO wideband - 510
A/F optional harness for EMU - 22
berk hi flow cat - 280

Total $2947

I am installing as much as I can with my neighbor who has air tools, jack stands and experience. And Turbo Tune in Greensboro is going to tune it next week. Estimate 300-500 to tune. Mark has tuned several S's with EMUs.

So I hope to have everything bought, installed, and tuned for under 4000. I am aiming at 9-9.5 PSI and 280-290 rwhp.

There are deals out there, just be patient and you will run across something that will get you in the neighborhood of the power you want at a crazy good price! Good luck bro!
Old 08-30-2008, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by RichV,Aug 29 2008, 04:57 PM
Just wantd to say if you look long enough you can get a complet turbo kit for under 3000. I searched and searched and found a guy in Illinois who had to sell his S for something he could afford and needed money for a down payment on another car. He took of his Greddy kit, which he only had on the car for a month (approx. 300 miles) in hopes to get something out of it. He obviously didn't do his research to see how much used ones were going for. He was asking 2350. I got him to 2100, then he found out the shop that unistalled his kit left in the Wallbro FP so he knocked off another 150. I paid $1950 for a barely used Greddy kit that looks brand new! So here is what else I have bought for a fully functional tunable kit:

Greddy kit - no fuel pump - $1950
wallbro 255 FP - 100
SOS dual guage pillar mount - 85
AEM tru boost controller/guage and AEM UEGO wideband - 510
A/F optional harness for EMU - 22
berk hi flow cat - 280

Total $2947

I am installing as much as I can with my neighbor who has air tools, jack stands and experience. And Turbo Tune in Greensboro is going to tune it next week. Estimate 300-500 to tune. Mark has tuned several S's with EMUs.

So I hope to have everything bought, installed, and tuned for under 4000. I am aiming at 9-9.5 PSI and 280-290 rwhp.

There are deals out there, just be patient and you will run across something that will get you in the neighborhood of the power you want at a crazy good price! Good luck bro!
I went down this road and bought a used greddy kit and had a bunch of problems. I figured I got such a good deal on the kit if even a major part was broke it was still going to cost me less than a new kit. What I did'nt account for when there was a problem the extra costs for tuning and tring to figure out the problem labor and the huge downtime. I eventually had to replace the turbo on my used greddy kit. I did spend more than I thought and could have done it cheaper if I just purchased another greddy turbo, I just tried somthing differnet and installed a gt30 onto the kit. Just be careful and think through every thing, it seems like a good price just for the parts alone. I hope you have better luck than I did, I am all up and running now . Feel free to PM me any questions you have, I will do my best to help. Go to the greddy site and print off the parts list first with instuctions to make sure you get everything.

Quick Reply: recommend me a turbo