S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Sudden, inconsistent fuel gauge readings

Old 05-23-2012, 09:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sudden, inconsistent fuel gauge readings

Turbo kit, including ARM v.1 and Walbro was installed in March. Fuel gauge worked properly and displayed full range on the dashboard.

Modifry ECT fix was installed in April and I'm fairly positive that the fuel gauge still displayed proper readouts.

Earlier this month I had a clutch installed and started noticing fuel gauge inconsistencies. On my previous tank of gas, the fuel gauge stopped responding at about 1/4 tank, which caused me to nearly run the tank dry.

Yesterday I noticed that it stopped responding at 1/2 tank - WTF?

I imagine that if the in-tank sensor was broken the gauge would consistently display incorrect readings. It would also likely have broken when the Walbro was installed. I'm really baffled as to what would cause the gauge to display proper readings and then stick at varying points. It's also odd that it started happening suddenly. I'm on my 5th tank of gas since the turbo/Walbro/AEM was installed. Using 91 pump.

Anyone ever have this issue that could give me some tips on where to start diagnosing?

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2012, 09:52 AM

Your fuel gauge has nothing to do with AEM. It could possibly be the sending unit going bad. Do you have a filter on the fuel pump? Does the lever clear it? The fuel pump filter should be about a 2 1/2" square. I know when i bought a walbro with the filter, it was a long rectangular filter that would not clear the lever if it is below, I would say 3/8 of a tank or so.

So I would say the first place to check is your pump hanger. The lever is probably hanging up
Old 05-23-2012, 11:54 AM

That's the first thing that came to my mind as well, but it's just weird that it used to read correctly and then got messed up with no alterations to that part of the car. The pump was also installed professionally, but you never know. I'm also avoiding having to pull it out
Old 05-24-2012, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had to change the way the filter sits on mine. the lever was hitting it by a hair. so if its off some and sitting on the filter, it will show more gas than you have. then the pushing starts "my back".. i always double triple check everything when i do stuff
Old 05-24-2012, 06:27 AM
EOE

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Go of off mileage too. That's what I do. I know once I hit 240 I am pushing it and probably will be empty like NOW. I kind of know how many miles per tank I get.

Also if you are using a different filter as mentioned above, that could be the problem since Honda one is a different shape from what you get through walbro, fullblown, or others.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im actually having the same exact problem. I used honda filters and we more then triple checked to make sure it wasnt hitting the filter on the pump. Last year I drove around off milage.

Mine would read full then drop 3-4 bricks normally on the dash then just stop there. So you would almost assume it was hitting the filter but its deffinately not.

Im having the floater arm and sender replaced hopefully that solves the issue otherwise I'll be going off milage again this year.