S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Forced Induction (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-forced-induction-142/)
-   -   Transmission? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-forced-induction-142/transmission-855796/)

B5254T4 04-08-2011 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by jzz30 (Post 20446142)
i was looking at transmissions the other day, because i was interested in the z33 trans as we have about 3 of them lying around. at a glance it seems the bell housing is much too large to fit the tunnel. then i looked at an FD trans. it looked similar in width but its a 5 speed and i was told it doesnt hold a huge ammount of power. then there was the v160 supra 6 speed. those are known to hold what ever you throw at it. the size was very similar, but the cost is still very high. another option would be the trans from an e46 m3 i guess...

If possible, post a few pics to compare.

honda9krpm 04-09-2011 09:30 PM

The Z33 trans will fit. It's not that much different to a Nissan skyline r33 gtst gearbox, which I have one in my s2k.

The nissan bell house was chopped and welded to a cnc billet plate in the shape of the font 1/2 of the s2k bell house. It was done this way because the first trial the weld between the honda s2k and nissan bellhouse broke and costed me a bomb to replace the damage bits. The shop blamed on the s2k cast material rather their welding. You will need a nissan clutch + custom flywheel to mate the f20c to the nissan clutch.

If I do it all over again, I would probably use the supra 6 speed gearbox.

TerminatioN 04-09-2011 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by honda9krpm (Post 20449135)
The Z33 trans will fit. It's not that much different to a Nissan skyline r33 gtst gearbox, which I have one in my s2k.

The nissan bell house was chopped and welded to a cnc billet plate in the shape of the font 1/2 of the s2k bell house. It was done this way because the first trial the weld between the honda s2k and nissan bellhouse broke and costed me a bomb to replace the damage bits. The shop blamed on the s2k cast material rather their welding. You will need a nissan clutch + custom flywheel to mate the f20c to the nissan clutch.

Very interesting indeed. Do you have any pictures and/or more information about your setup?

Why would you go with the supra 6 speed? What would it take to use that?

ScorpioMk 04-10-2011 01:12 AM

If you could do it again what do you think about using the most of the s2k housing and as little of the z33 trans as possible? keep the stock flywheel/pressure plate/throw out/pivot arm etc and just change to a nissan spline disc.

B5254T4 04-10-2011 12:13 PM

Nice! Any pics of the tranny? IIRC the Z33 gearbox can handle a lot of torque, any numbers you know?

I like the Supra box as well but rare and expensive over here, Z33 would be much better if it could handle the abuse.

neeman77 04-10-2011 12:47 PM

I have read mixed things about the z33 transmission so I am weary about this being a good solution.

ScorpioMk 04-10-2011 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by neeman77 (Post 20450453)
I have read mixed things about the z33 transmission so I am weary about this being a good solution.

Do you hear of them blowing them up often? Cause I havent heard of it, I know the earlier ones had a synchro issue or something along those lines but nothing major. Those guys don't have gearsets made for them, or have different transmissions swapped into them so I would assume they are pretty happy with what they have just like the supra community.

neeman77 04-10-2011 06:03 PM

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...d-transmission
this was one of the links I had been looking at referring to them blowing up, but I also saw quite a few saying they are quite stout. Like this one comparing it to the getrags:
http://www.freshalloy.com/forums/arc.../t-168517.html

honda9krpm 04-10-2011 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by ScorpioMk (Post 20449360)

Originally Posted by honda9krpm' timestamp='1302413418' post='20449135

If you could do it again what do you think about using the most of the s2k housing and as little of the z33 trans as possible? keep the stock flywheel/pressure plate/throw out/pivot arm etc and just change to a nissan spline disc.

that may work if you cold get a custom clutch plates to fit the nissan spline
My initial problem was with the weld between the honda and nissan bellhouses. It came apart at the drag strip after launch, 1st and 2nd gear. Fortunately the gearbox did not dig into the drag strip and flip the car otherwise I would probably not be able to type this atm. The workshop blamed that the honda bellhouse material is too "porous". To be honest I don't know if that is correct but just grateful of the big fellow up there. That's why I got the honda half of the bellhouse CNC from a billet block.

Originally Posted by B5254T4 (Post 20450394)

Nice! Any pics of the tranny? IIRC the Z33 gearbox can handle a lot of torque, any numbers you know?

I like the Supra box as well but rare and expensive over here, Z33 would be much better if it could handle the abuse.

I am not sure of any number. They do have a synchro problem with prolong abuse....but then again synchromesh gearboxes are not designed for fast shifts during race. That's why I place a set of dog gears in the R33 box. The dog gear for the s2k box was not available 6 years ago.

Supra gearboxes are rare and expensive over here too. However the close 6 speed ratio will have less stress on the synchro and if I used this box in the past I would not have put a set of dog gears in. The dog gears requires yearly maintenance, rebuild and oil change, for reliability. I had 2 sets fail on me in the past few years between 2 cars.

ScorpioMk 04-10-2011 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by honda9krpm (Post 20451422)

Originally Posted by ScorpioMk' timestamp='1302426766' post='20449360
[quote name='honda9krpm' timestamp='1302413418' post='20449135']

that may work if you cold get a custom clutch plates to fit the nissan spline
My initial problem was with the weld between the honda and nissan bellhouses. It came apart at the drag strip after launch, 1st and 2nd gear. Fortunately the gearbox did not dig into the drag strip and flip the car otherwise I would probably not be able to type this atm. The workshop blamed that the honda bellhouse material is too "porous". To be honest I don't know if that is correct but just grateful of the big fellow up there. That's why I got the honda half of the bellhouse CNC from a billet block.

Originally Posted by B5254T4 (Post 20450394)

I am not sure of any number. They do have a synchro problem with prolong abuse....but then again synchromesh gearboxes are not designed for fast shifts during race. That's why I place a set of dog gears in the R33 box. The dog gear for the s2k box was not available 6 years ago.

Supra gearboxes are rare and expensive over here too. However the close 6 speed ratio will have less stress on the synchro and if I used this box in the past I would not have put a set of dog gears in. The dog gears requires yearly maintenance, rebuild and oil change, for reliability. I had 2 sets fail on me in the past few years between 2 cars.
[/quote]

Could I get some pictures of your setup? Or would you even sell the bellhousing if your going to be doing something different? I dont want to blow up a trans every time I go out, I'll have built 8.8 or 9" under the car, its just gonna be a trans thing. I want to enjoy the car, and be able to beat the piss out of it, not fear breaking it.