S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Turbo Dyno Woes

Old 04-09-2005, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Dyno Woes

Here's the car first. 2002, stock motor with 6 to 1 fmu, emanage, custom turbo with log style manifold, t3/t4 turbo. 3 inch custom cat back exhaust welded into the cat, out to dual 2 1/2 non restrictive mufflers. Tial wastegate at 0.5 bar. All dyno pulls were done on a dyno jet in 4th gear with an otherwise stock drivetrain.

I don't have a scanner so for that I need to appologize, I will do my best to explain the day and the results.

The day started at 9am

First dyno run peak hp 230 at 6K rpm. Once Vtec kicked in from 6 to 7k hp dropped to about 160 hp, then climbed slowly to about 8k rpm reaching 220 hp then plateau from 8k to 9k.

AF ratio was in the 12's.

We did a lot of tuning throught the day, by noon, we had the HP up to about 250, but the same shape to the dyno graph. It would pull great from 3500 to 6k, but it looked like timing was being pulled out by the ecu after vtec. And I could see I was losing boost at about 7k on, and we were having problems tuning... like nothing we did changed anything... Time for a break...

After lunch we started again, I thought I heard an exhaust leak, I look at the wastgate, and 1 of the bolts walked out a bit, and the other was in the bottom of the dyno bay. After putting on a new gasket and retorquing back to work...

Now it's like 4pm, and without exageration 75 - 100 dyno pulls on the day... I'm reaching 240 hp at 6k, then it dies again once vtec kicks in with the dyno dropping to about 180 by 7k, and it slowly climbs back to about 260. (I'm sure heatsoak was an issue, however that does not explain the hp not following a straight line as it did in the low cam's.) AF was in the low 12's from 5k to about 7500, then it becomes very rich dipping to the low 10's by 9k.... I know the rich af is limiting the max hp on the dyno, but it does not explain why I am losing power at vtec.

We tried to have the emanage change the vtec point so it would not come on, but it seems that there is a default in the compuer that puts vtec on someplace around 6500 - 7k (or the same ecu glitching was encountered).

At no point once the wastegate was fixed did the car lose boost or did the ecu show timing pull on the dyno.

Any help on this is welcomed
Old 04-09-2005, 02:20 PM

Honestly without a dyno run of your car before the turbo, there's many possibilities. A lot of dyno's look strange for the S2K around the VTEC engagement but after the engagement it looks fine again. Some good info would be the boost numbers during the dyno runs too. You might have a bad turbo. A compression check would be a good place to start. People won't be able to help until you single it down to an engine problem or a boosting problem. From what you describe, my first intinct said it was turbo related. But if the engine isn't making power than the turbo will not be able to maintain boost either.
Old 04-09-2005, 02:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you play with the boost cut limit on the Emanage? If the voltage that the Emanage shows the ECU is too high (i.e. - in boost), then the ECU will go into limp mode, retarding timing by a huge amount and dumping extra fuel.

UL
Old 04-11-2005, 08:48 AM

Sorry about the delay in responding I was working and autoXing... (4th in class 10th best overall time of the day)

The car was dyno'd when it had the votech supercharger, and it made about 300 to the wheels and it was a relativly straight line hp graph. To me, It does not seem like a motor problem in that respect. Also the car pulls very strong until vtec, making over 200 hp at 6k rpm. Once vtec comes on, The power drops about 30 to 60 hp, then slowly climbs to about 260. if the low cams were continued, it looks like the curve would be someplace over the 300 mark.

Once at full spool, the boost was maintained at 7 to 7.5 psi throughout the pull. The only problem we were having with maintaining boost was corrected by replacing the wastgate gasket and retorquing the bolts to the manifold/wastgate.

As for the voltage clamp, we ruled out the emanage voltage clamp as a problem. We tried a physical clamp (the one used with the vortech kit and then tuned it for just WOT). It yeilded the same results. We also used different boost cut voltage numbers from 3.0 to 2.0 . All had similar effects. Strong pull until vtec comes on.

UL what would you rec as a good voltage clamp number for the map?
Old 04-11-2005, 09:04 AM

Again sorry I do not have a scanner. here is the link for a picture of the dyno. I hope it helps and I hope you can see it too...

Thank you all in advance.

http://www.idrivefast.com/dyno.bmp
Old 04-11-2005, 11:15 AM

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

I wonder if the right code was put into the Emanage. The S has a specific code that you put into the dip switches on the Emanage for it to work correctly. Or maybe your VTEC wire came loose and VTEC isn't even working. Good luck.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:23 AM

Main unit settings are: 4 8 C
Ignition jumper: PULL down
Jumper out 5V

All no changes were made to the jumpers inside the emanage inbetween the vortech and the turbo.

If I could get the vtec to not come on, I might be better off

I looked at another persons dyno video, he ran his in 3rd gear, mine was in 4th... 4th is 1:1 right?
Old 04-11-2005, 11:37 AM

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 03spa,Apr 11 2005, 02:23 PM
Main unit settings are: 4 8 C
Ignition jumper: PULL down
Jumper out 5V

All no changes were made to the jumpers inside the emanage inbetween the vortech and the turbo.

If I could get the vtec to not come on, I might be better off

I looked at another persons dyno video, he ran his in 3rd gear, mine was in 4th... 4th is 1:1 right?
Looks like you have every setting correct. I have the 4.57 gears and I think mine was run in 4th. So, maybe you do need to be in 3rd if you still have the 4.10's. I can't think of any other reason why this would be occuring. At around 5500 RPM my HP was around 220 and just kept climbing smoothly all the way to about 8300 RPM and then dropped off about 10 HP after that. Mine is on the very conservative side too. I haven't pulled any timing yet on the top end and I think that's why the HP loss after 8300 RPM.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 03spa,Apr 11 2005, 08:48 AM

UL what would you rec as a good voltage clamp number for the map?
Usually 2.7-2.8 volts works just fine.

Are you sure everything else was hooked up right after removing the Vortech electronics? I know it sounds silly, but you wouldn't believe how many cars I've had to troubleshoot after someone switched from a VAFC, black box, etc. to a different engine management setup. Just last week someone switched from Emanage to AEM EMS on an S2000 and was missing on a cylinder due to a bad connection.

UL
Old 04-11-2005, 04:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You can positively disable VTEC by disconnecting the VTEC solenoid plug on the side of the engine (just ahead of the manifold).

If boost is there and so is fuel it really points to ECU Limp mode. HAve you looked at your timing above VTEC? If it is greatly retarded you need to find out what is setting off the ECU. High AITs, knocking etc.

Not sure what your deal is with the tuning shop but when your bill gets to $2K you have spent more than an AEM and tuning.

Quick Reply: Turbo Dyno Woes