S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

turbo problems-now resolved

Old 03-28-2008, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo problems-now resolved

On April 5th, I brought my car back down to Inline Performance to replace my turbo. I had booked a round trip plane ticket to return on April 12th to pick it up because I was told it would only be a week to fix. Unfortunately, they needed my car longer than a week because the 6076 turbo was not in stock and they had to wait for the Garrett to mail them another one under warranty.

So I canceled my plane ticket and during my wait, I asked if they had the ball bearing version of the turbo. Chris ended up hooking me up with the turbo, headgasket, and upgraded clutch for a greatly reduced price. The only crappy part was waiting for the new turbo to arrive.

So yesterday, I went back down there to pick it up. I could spend an hour talking about how shitty the travel experience was...but long story short, my bus broke down on the way there and the cabby took me for a ride because he couldnt understand instructions and charged me 96 dollars for the cab ride from D.C. to Inline Performance. The owner John heard the story and offered to give me half of the travel and gave me 50 bucks! That made my day and again another satisfied Inline Pro customer.

The car rides nice and smooth and as everyone knows, their quality of work is excellent.

Thumbs up to Inline for fixing my car and hooking me up

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Everyone,

2 weeks ago I had my turbo installed and tuned by Inline Performance. Unfortunately, I ran into a couple of problems and need advice on my next course of action.

1) My turbo is right up against the frame and touching causing some pretty loud rattling. I didn't think my turbo needed my frame to be notched but it looks like that might have to be done.

2) The amount of exhaust coming out of my tail pipes seem to be a lot more than usual and I believe its a good cause for concern. I did a search to see what I could find about matching symptoms and found this ...

"If you are pushing to much oil pressure at the turbo and your turbo seals are leaking at idle you will get white smoke. The reason for this is because the seal on the turbine side is leaking and then falls in to the downpipe. The downpipe is hot and burns the oil into a white smoke. So white smoke could be oil as well via a bad seal on the turbo. And it will only smoke at idle because most of the time when you get in boost (on garrett turbos) the seals will temporarly seal up and not leak oil into the downpipe. So if you are getting white smoke at idle and it smells like burnt oil its the seals"

Now thats the best explanation I found for the symptoms I have..Of course I'm no mechanic by any means and can be completely wrong... I'm not going to try and attempt to fix this myself because I don't want to make anything worse.

Here is a video of my car and the amount of smoke coming out...
smoke

I've already gone to Billman250 yesterday to look over my car and got a quote for fixing the rattling. I'll call Inline shortly to see if they can do anything.

Any advice for me guys? thanks
Old 03-28-2008, 08:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yea, your seals are going bad. Same thing is happening to me on my turbonetics turbo, which i'm getting it rebuilt under warranty, but i hate downttime!!!
Old 03-28-2008, 08:54 AM

WOW, that is definately smoke coming out as it does not dissipate like steam.

How cold was it outside when you did the vid? Do you have a W/B? If so what is your AFR at idle? What type of turbo do you have?
Old 03-28-2008, 08:59 AM

When I removed the cat the car has been smoking nearly the same way. Mine is intermittent and only happens a couple times a week. My car is still NA till this summer.

White smoke is steam not oil

Oil burns bluish

Turbo oil seals either leak or they don't.

With increased engine oil pressure the leak would get bigger not smaller.

Trust me, I know what I'm talking about
Old 03-28-2008, 09:02 AM

[QUOTE=gotswap,Mar 28 2008, 11:54 AM]WOW, that is definately smoke coming out as it does not dissipate like steam.

How cold was it outside when you did the vid?
Old 03-28-2008, 10:49 AM

Does your car have a cat?
Old 03-28-2008, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by E-brake,Mar 28 2008, 01:49 PM
Does your car have a cat?
no sir, definitely no cat leading into the exhaust
Old 03-28-2008, 10:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

trust me your seals on the turbo are going bad, as mines is diong the samet thing.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by nMeOnE,Mar 28 2008, 01:58 PM
trust me your seals on the turbo are going bad, as mines is diong the samet thing.
yea its just frustrating to believe it, brand new turbo and it started happening 1 week after i got it ... just waiting on Chris at Inline to gimme a call back

poop.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:18 AM

Ya, the seal is bad.

If you had a cat I could say it's condensation but it seems you have bad seals.

They should offer you a warranty replacement after inspection.

Quick Reply: turbo problems-now resolved