S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Twin Disc Clutch Reviews

Old 10-09-2015, 07:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Twin Disc Clutch Reviews

Trying to shop for a twin disc and there seems to be a lot of options with a vast difference in prices.

So what twin disc clutch are you using? How much power are you making? How many miles has it been in use? And what do you think of the clutch? Any pros/cons, gripes or problems?

Thanks.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In for reviews. I asked the same question on Facebook in S2k tech and talk. No real answers besides a couple people running the comp twin and one running the clutch masters.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

SOS Twin Carbon

495whp/402tq

~20k miles

Pedal effort is very light, just a tiny bit stiffer than stock. Engagement range is fairly small, but still plenty workable, i.e. I daily'd it no problem for 2+ years. Only minor "annoyance" is the twin disc chatter. Most of the time I don't hear it unless there's a truck or a wall next to me. It'll hold plenty more power than I'm making now, but that comes at a high price. It's probably one of the most expensive clutches out there.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Search is your friend

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/832...#entry21787679
Old 10-09-2015, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by s2000442
No need to be a dick. I've seen plenty of similar threads. 3 years is a long time ago. I'm sure a lot has happened since then. That is only a thread on one particular twin disc clutch anyways, there are a lot.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TerminatioN
No need to be a dick. I've seen plenty of similar threads. 3 years is a long time ago. I'm sure a lot has happened since then.
Not trying to be a dick, sorry it came off that way. Good luck with your clutch selection. Someone else said they were in for reviews and I supplied what I thought was a good one...
Old 10-09-2015, 08:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My guess is there isn't an abundance of people who get to the power level where a twin disc would be necessary, and of those who are probably aren't on here or just don't post.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:44 AM

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

I have been driving on the sos carbon twin disc clutch for well over 10,000 miles all ready I can tell you that this is the best street able high power s2000 clutch there is on the market for a oem s2000 transmission.

In terms of single disc clutches the only streetable clutch is the act Hdss. It drive like stock with a stiffer clutch peddle. Holds about 370wtq. All other single disc puck style clutches like the cc stage 4 and such hold lots of power but in my opinion are not street able because they can't be slipped very well in normal stop and go traffic and these stye of clutches will make you hate your car if u drive on the street with stop and go traffic.

The sos twin disc has 8 carbon on carbon surfaces. The flywheel surface is carbon, both disc are carbon, even the mid plate and pressure plate is carbon. There is no metal surfaces on the clutch. the clutch pedal is as soft like a stock clutch and the clutch can be slipped just like stock. Drives as easy as a stock clutch and it hold big power. Holds my 620whp and 450tq like nothing with a soft clutch pedal and stock drivability. When you are at idel with the clutch pedal down the noise from the clutch is very very minimal compared to other twin disc clutches.

I don't know about longevity. I hear lots of other twin disc like the cc twin don't last very long but I hope the sos twin can last like a stock clucth but only time will tell.

If you have a street car Run the act Hdss clucth if your under 550whp 370tq anything over run the sos twin. All other clutches will compromise daily driving stop and go traffic drivability. If you have a high power race/drag/track car then run any twin disc or single disc puck clutch as drivability does not matter.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jin_SK
My guess is there isn't an abundance of people who get to the power level where a twin disc would be necessary, and of those who are probably aren't on here or just don't post.
I definitely don't think that is the case. Non-puck single disc clutches don't hold that much. There are a TON of people in the 550-450whp (~350wtq) range. Most/all single discs (non-puck) can't hold that reliably.

I've seen lots of build threads who list people having them, it just doesn't seem like they talk about them specifically anywhere. Maybe that is a good thing.

Originally Posted by riceball777
If you have a street car Run the act Hdss clucth if your under 550whp 370tq anything over run the sos twin. All other clutches will compromise daily driving stop and go traffic drivability. If you have a high power race/drag/track car then run any twin disc or single disc puck clutch as drivability does not matter.
FWIW my ACT HD clutch started slipping around 315wtq on the dyno.

Thanks for the info on the SOS clutch though. My only concern with it is the issue this user had: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/103...t__p__22650171

Still seems like the front runner though, just wish the price was a little easier to stomach.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been running a CC twin disc for about 10k miles on 492/319 S/C setup. I love this clutch. It did take me some time to master. Coming from an ACT PP and stock disc, high speed shifting is smoother and it's easier to heel-toe. I've must have launched the car over 50 times slipping the clutch hard on the street without any issues except for breaking an axle once. I'm pretty sure my old ACT/OEM disc setup would have been toast and smelling burned under the same conditions. The only think I didn't like were the plates rattling on deceleration at a certain rpm range. The sound did grow on me after a while.

Quick Reply: Twin Disc Clutch Reviews