S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Upgrade Clutch Clarification

Old 10-15-2008, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade Clutch Clarification

I"m planning on going FI in the near future. It seems the concensus is that its much cheaper to install an upgraded clutch before you go FI since its less to take apart at the time. My current thought for FI is the KW high boost kit, but things can change until the day I put the money on the table.

I don't have the required tools to do my own clutch change, so I"m planning on going to my honda dealer (they are supportive of after-market stuff) to do the install.

I want to keep the car OEM-like so my research has lead me towards the ACT HS1-HDSS kit (their street kit with HD pressure palte and performance disc).

Three questions:

1. Is this kit what I"m really looking for (IE, will it keep the clutch feel close to OEM?)

2. Are there any other parts that I need to buy to give to the dealer during the install?

3. What about the FLYWHEEL? I called my guy at the dealership and he gave me his estimate for the install and during our conversation he said "Don't forget about the flywheel". I"m a novice when it comes to this stuff... do I need/want a new flywheel? My car has ~30k miles on it and about 15-20 days doing HPDE events. Does the flywheel need to be replaced or is it recomended like brake pad mfger say that you have to turn your rotors or replace them when switching pad brands? I want to do this right, so if I should replace the flywheel, should I get another OEM one or should I get something else like a lighter one (I thought lighter was just for NA, so I"m leaning towards OEM)?

Thanks.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:13 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I went stock flywheel, stock clutch disc, ACT PP and new throw-out bearing and I would highly recommend this setup for anyone driving on the street not just track. You will have a feel which I think is better then the OEM and it will grab nicely. I would not recommend a lightened fly wheel unless you race it daily either. Sure a lightweight sounds good and I was going to buy one but what you won
Old 10-15-2008, 11:04 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

get an ap1 flywheel. they weigh 14lb i think. big improvement on the 22 lb ap2 flywheel. do not get the Act kit. At least not the street disc with upgraded pp. Many people with FI have it and hvnt had problems but there have been reports of crank walk from using an upgraded PP. You should upgrade your holding power by a better clutch disc not by the pressure plate. Ask inline why they don't sell act... i would go with either a competition or clutch masters clutch. I went went with a clutch masters stage 3

Oh yeah im Fi'ed with the kw high boost kit
Old 10-15-2008, 11:10 AM

after driving around with the ACT PP for over two years, I can say it is a good part and hasn't given me any trouble. it does feel more harsh than the OEM clutch. whenever i get into a s2k with the OEM clutch and drive it, it feels like the clutch is like jello!! LOL
Old 10-15-2008, 11:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s.hasan546,Oct 15 2008, 11:04 AM
You should upgrade your holding power by a better clutch disc not by the pressure plate.
WRONG!!!..... completely wrong....

ask anyone who knows what they are talking about and they will tell you the opposite!
the single weak point in an s2000 clutch is the pressure plate.... not the disk!!!!
Old 10-15-2008, 11:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Enthralled,Oct 15 2008, 11:10 AM
after driving around with the ACT PP for over two years, I can say it is a good part and hasn't given me any trouble. it does feel more harsh than the OEM clutch. whenever i get into a s2k with the OEM clutch and drive it, it feels like the clutch is like jello!! LOL
Old 10-15-2008, 11:35 AM

I'm running the ACT HS1-HDSS kit (their street kit with HD pressure palte and performance disc) with an AP1 flywheel. I have an '07 AP2 and the Kraftwerks high boost kit.

No problems so far and I love the combination!

-Chris
Old 10-15-2008, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by juntuned,Oct 15 2008, 11:13 AM
WRONG!!!..... completely wrong....

ask anyone who knows what they are talking about and they will tell you the opposite!
the single weak point in an s2000 clutch is the pressure plate.... not the disk!!!!
um go ask inline. i think they know what their talking about.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:46 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

I have a CC stage 4 six puck and its horrible for around town. I would go ACT in a heart beat if i could do it again. In regards to crank walk, i would love to see more data on the failure rate due to the increased pressure plate. It would be interesting to see the amount of ACT clutches on the market with lots of miles that have had no issue. Alot of the information is all anecdotal anyway, for and against it.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Soul Coughing,Oct 15 2008, 12:46 PM
I have a CC stage 4 six puck and its horrible for around town. I would go ACT in a heart beat if i could do it again. In regards to crank walk, i would love to see more data on the failure rate due to the increased pressure plate. It would be interesting to see the amount of ACT clutches on the market with lots of miles that have had no issue. Alot of the information is all anecdotal anyway, for and against it.
soul why not just go with a cc stage 3?

Quick Reply: Upgrade Clutch Clarification