S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Want to Build 00 Head

Old 02-07-2006, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to Build 00 Head

I have a chance to pick up a spare MY00 head with a few bent Valves...I plan on going FI within a year...I was wondering if I should Buy the head and build it....I plan on going with the loveFab System and a GT30 Series turbo. My over all goal is 350RWHP....The thing is I want to do most is to get my torque number up to or around 300......I can pick the head up tomorrow for around $450.00 from a friend...But what should I do to prepare myself for this goal....I have a good Idea of what is needed but lets just say I can`t go FI this year...can I still put the head on my Stock MY01 and see gains or will it be a waste? Thanks in advance- John

Old 02-07-2006, 01:10 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I did an Alaniz head 3 years ago and drove it NA for a while prior to going FI. It did see some small gains NA but with the FI it is seeing in excess of 50 hp.

The head was built with stainless steel valves resulting in greater heat resistance that the stock setup. This is extremely important with a turbo.
Ti retainers take away the worries about factory retainers destroying the engine and allow a greater safety margin for overrevs.
Porting and polishing along with oversized valves increases flow and maximizes impact on horsepower and spooling.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:52 AM

I had a feeling that it wouldn`t hurt anything but I just wanted to be sure...I have heard a few people talk of Alaniz...Alot of people say that he is super exspensive and you almost never get your Head/Engine back on time...But that he does super good work......I will have a local machine shop do my work and I will continue to do my research and try to find out more on my own...But in the mean time does anyone else have any recommendations for valve..Cams..Retainers...Etc...With Head work will I need a Piggyback or an EMS?...Thanks Sideways
Old 02-08-2006, 01:04 PM

alaniz,portflow,baker. any one of these can do you cyl head. as was explained in another thread, i would definately look into it before purchasing any parts. venomousS name was mentioned for most retainer research. i just had baker do a head for me, and i know now first hand, retainer to rocker clearance is a big deal. several have said all REV parts did the trick. where as some others said toda made some sick stuff. either way, make sure the diameter of the retainers stays the same. take it easy, and PM me if youd like to chat. lates
Old 02-08-2006, 01:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm strongly considering having PortFlow work the head and have Earl Laskey put in new springs, Ti retainers, and oversized valves. Turn around time is about 2 weeks.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:11 AM

2 Weeks doesn`t sound that bad I just really have to wait for the income tax check to come in and I will have an exact budget probably around 1500...To buy the head and put the parts in it...What size valves should I go with or is there a standard oversized valve made for the S2k? thanks again
Old 02-09-2006, 11:14 AM

check out supertech valves and retainers, valve springs, ect.. they have some real good stuff
Old 02-09-2006, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by John_Z,Feb 8 2006, 05:49 PM
I'm strongly considering having PortFlow work the head and have Earl Laskey put in new springs, Ti retainers, and oversized valves. Turn around time is about 2 weeks.
I just got mine back. 2 weeks is about right. I'd allow a month to be safe though. Earl told me he did the flow test thing on a portflow and an Alaniz head and that portflow actually flowed a few percent better FWIW.
Jonathan
Old 02-09-2006, 12:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I spent some time getting some parts for my head guy. And just to note he's been building race motors (american and imports) for 20 years +.

To summarize it these are the combinations we tried:

Alaniz Ti Retainers + Alaniz springs = springs do not fit sungly under retainer which causes even more galling than normal

Alaniz Ti Retainers + Toda Springs = same deal

Supertech Ti Retainers + Supertech springs = best fitting springs/retainer combo

The supertech fit snugly to his taste. He stated to me that he would't have put the head together for me even if I begged him with the 2 first combinations.

Understand that I was mixing and matching parts because the scenario was that I bought this other head so I had my old head with Alaniz retainers with not a lot of miles on them at all so I wanted to see if you could save some cash and use them. And technically yes I could've used them as they were not distorted it or split, but the fitment, even with Alaniz own springs was not proper.

I am in no way criticizing anybody's job here either. I am just relaying information here that I was told.

Personal preference is supertech. I know a few people using them on high horse power cars. There may be other brands that I have not tried, but this is what I know.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Venomous S,Feb 9 2006, 01:56 PM
Well, I spent some time getting some parts for my head guy. And just to note he's been building race motors (american and important) for 20 years +.

To summarize it these are the combinations we tried:

Alaniz Ti Retainers + Alaniz springs = springs do not fit sungly under retainer which causes even more galling than normal

Alaniz Ti Retainers + Toda Springs = same deal

Supertech Ti Retainers + Supertech springs = best fitting springs/retainer combo

The supertech fit snugly to his taste. He stated to me that he would't have put the head together for me even if I begged him with the 2 first combinations.

Understand that I was mixing and matching parts because the scenario was that I bought this other head so I had my old head with Alaniz retainers with not a lot of miles on them at all so I wanted to see if you could save some cash and use them. And technically yes I could've used them as they were not distorted it or split, but the fitment, even with Alaniz own springs was not proper.

I am in no way criticizing anybody's job here either. I am just relaying information here that I was told.

Personal preference is supertech. I know a few people using them on high horse power cars. There may be other brands that I have not tried, but this is what I know.
im glad i read this before i started to build my head...venomous, any preference in valves, did you go oversize, i was going to go with alaniz .5 but since the springs didnt sit right with the retainers, i will be sure to go with supertech

Quick Reply: Want to Build 00 Head