S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

What is a 2.2 block worth?

Old 05-24-2018, 06:04 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default What is a 2.2 block worth?

I have my old 2.2 block closed deck/sleeved at InlinePro right now for a bore/hone. Im not sure im going to want to build that one too if my 2.0 does what I expect. Realistically, what is it worth if I decide to sell it?
Old 05-24-2018, 07:00 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Depends, today's market seems to want unopen low even high mile'd functioning donor motors from s2000s involved in prior vehicle accidents. Will the block be a complete short block or bare block?
Old 05-24-2018, 10:38 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

If someone is doing a new build, a block freshly prepped by ILP should be worth maybe 60% or 80% of what it costs to make, even more if someone needs it immediately. ILP is a top name builder.

The issue is finding someone. There are a lot more K20s and K24s that F22c engines. The F22 is only in the S2k and some conversions. That block, not cheap, would be for someone making a serious build.

I'd list it with price negotiable. Maybe here and on K20a.org, HondaTuning.com, etc. ILP might be able to sell it for you.

Note that the F22 head is what is really of value.

What bore is it? I'm guessing many people who may use it will want to go to 89mm or 89.5mm to get a 2.5L with a 99mm crank.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:08 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Just out of curiousity. Why do you place value on the f22 head compared to its counterpart?
Old 05-25-2018, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by MorngWoodStewie
Just out of curiousity. Why do you place value on the f22 head compared to its counterpart?
It's my understanding the heads and blocks can be interchanged assuming the work is done to get the right cam chain, etc. VTEC and VTC are irrelevant for many/most extreme applications. For budget builds, even the intake manifold differences can be huge. Budget builds it is off the shelf parts. For extreme builds crank, rods, pistons, intake, exhaust, and often cams are custom. Engine builders who build a lot of engines for a specific class may custom order valves, valve seats, retainers.

When ported, I'm told the F-series head flows better than the K-series. It a result of the location f the water passages allowing more flexibility in port shape. It is my understanding this has created a demand for F-series heads which only came on the relatively limited production S2000.

The F/K-series blocks have 3-different deck heights. I'd imagine in an extreme build the builder would want the short deck height K20 or the tall K24 rather than an in the middle F20/22. The K-series blocks are all over the place and kits like the K24 Miata are for the K24, not the F-series.

Basically, the head may have a bigger audience while the block is probably of most value to someone doing an F20/F22 build for an S2000 or other RWD chassis using the S2000 transmission. A
Old 05-25-2018, 11:04 AM

Last I checked a stock F20/F22c flowed 330cfms while the K-series K20 could only best 290cfm. Multiple builders have stated there isn't much to gain from head work on the F20c/F22c heads as they already have large ports. The most they would do is smooth them out and polish them.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by JUSTINTHECOASTIE
Last I checked a stock F20/F22c flowed 330cfms while the K-series K20 could only best 290cfm. Multiple builders have stated there isn't much to gain from head work on the F20c/F22c heads as they already have large ports. The most they would do is smooth them out and polish them.
It isn't what they do out of the box, it is ported. It isn't peak flow, it is flow under the curve over the operating range in race conditions. Anyway, it is what the engine builder told me.

If a class didn't allow work, I doubt if head swaps are in the cards either.

InlinePro doesn't list flow numbers. 4Piston rates their top all-motor K-series drag racing head at 425cfm. It has huge valves and needs to be very carefully setup for piston to valve clearance and they specify only their billet pistons. My guess is the pistons were made by sending a chamber mold or a head to Wiesco to design the piston crown.

This is a rare item...there are few buyers and few seller. This isn't a pig in the poke; it is a block with new sleeves, decking, and align hone by one of the top builders in the country. It would be part of an expensive S2k build. Your task is to find that needle in a haystack buyer who would otherwise way $2200-$2500 or so for the same thing without a core.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
It isn't what they do out of the box, it is ported. It isn't peak flow, it is flow under the curve over the operating range in race conditions. Anyway, it is what the engine builder told me.

If a class didn't allow work, I doubt if head swaps are in the cards either.

InlinePro doesn't list flow numbers. 4Piston rates their top all-motor K-series drag racing head at 425cfm. It has huge valves and needs to be very carefully setup for piston to valve clearance and they specify only their billet pistons. My guess is the pistons were made by sending a chamber mold or a head to Wiesco to design the piston crown.

This is a rare item...there are few buyers and few seller. This isn't a pig in the poke; it is a block with new sleeves, decking, and align hone by one of the top builders in the country. It would be part of an expensive S2k build. Your task is to find that needle in a haystack buyer who would otherwise way $2200-$2500 or so for the same thing without a core.
based on urge they do the numbers I posted stock

Velocity Headwork | URGE designs
Old 05-25-2018, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by JUSTINTHECOASTIE

based on urge they do the numbers I posted stock

Velocity Headwork URGE designs
Is someone racing flow benches on Honda heads? I know I've seen that on Chevy and Ford forums, especially the LS1 forum.

Each racing class has rules. Those form the limits or lack of limits. The 4Piston and I'm pretty sure IPL heads are built with a specific racing class objective in mind. My rule of thumb, budget allowing, is to find an engine builder who makes competitive engines for the class I'm interested in, Competitive in the sense that they always finish toward the front in the most competitive races (e.g. Spec Miata with 50 cars showing up cs ST2 with 2 cars showing up). In cases where the racing isn't competitive, anything you slap together will probably be ok. If it is competitive, 10ths of second on a drag strip or 15sec oval track lap, then the little finishing touches of a successful engine builder are critical in getting a good finish.

Here it is just a matter of finding someone building a 2.5L S2000 or a serious boost S2000 and selling them the block at discount. Maybe ask if IPL will sell it on contingency.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:14 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

well, if someone can pint me to a 2.2 block/crank sleeved o ringed and ready for build for reference that would be great

I have 3 heads now, 1 supertech built from 2.2, 1 supertech/prayoonto built for 2.0 and 100% oem sitting here. dont think im gonna need all these things once the head is back on and its tuned next week.