S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

white smoke out exhaust

Old 07-17-2007, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default white smoke out exhaust

I was just wondering, if when the car is hot it is blowing out white smoke when it is sitting still, does this mean i need new rings? If not is there a reason it smokes? It is when i leave the car idling while its hot for a while...a lot of white smoke comes out the exhaust! I am running inline pro turbo kit.
Thanks
Fadi
Old 07-17-2007, 01:00 PM

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Kinda sounds like a HG leaking coolant into a cylinder. You better check your spark plugs and see if you have any hint of green or blue tint on them. You don't want to hydralock on a start-up or say by by engine.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:01 PM

Received 1,057 Likes on 540 Posts

I don't know if you're running a stock exhaust setup but if you're running a stock cat, those will smoke lots of white when they go.

fltsfshr
Old 07-17-2007, 04:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the turbo is watercooled it could also be the center section. i've seen this before on an old XR4Ti that had a cracked center section. the car was white and when it drove about 100ft you lost sight of it for all the white smoke. it was like a cloud making machine!
Old 07-17-2007, 04:45 PM

It is not a stock cat. 2.75 inch test pipe custom made. The turbo is not watercooled either. The white smoke lingers in the air, so i am pretty sure it is oil burning. What could cause it though?
Thanks
Fadi
Old 07-17-2007, 05:42 PM

my car is having the same problem, my turbo is shot, the oil seals are gone so when im sitting idle after like 20sec she starts puffing like shes high on drugs, but when im driving she seems to be ok, i know its not my rings or nething, do a compression/leakdown test that will tell u if its ur motor, but sounds like the turbo 2 me, if it is u might want to get a regulator for ur next turbo that only lets a certain amount of oil in, lmk what happends
Old 07-17-2007, 06:02 PM

I just did a compression test with 230-240 all across! So it might be the turbo. How can i check that?
Old 07-18-2007, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by s2khondas,Jul 17 2007, 08:42 PM
my car is having the same problem, my turbo is shot, the oil seals are gone so when im sitting idle after like 20sec she starts puffing like shes high on drugs, but when im driving she seems to be ok, i know its not my rings or nething, do a compression/leakdown test that will tell u if its ur motor, but sounds like the turbo 2 me, if it is u might want to get a regulator for ur next turbo that only lets a certain amount of oil in, lmk what happends
You DO NOT use a oil resister/regulator on a non-ball bearing turbo.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:21 PM

i didnt know it was a non ball bearing, but why wouldnt u? why did my first non bearing turbo go bad and the one that my friend has on his s2k with the reg is still going strong? they r both the same turbos? they went in the same time> i would put a reg in anyways, nothing can go wrong then..... my current setup has a reg on it 2.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by s2khondas,Jul 18 2007, 04:21 PM
i didnt know it was a non ball bearing, but why wouldnt u? why did my first non bearing turbo go bad and the one that my friend has on his s2k with the reg is still going strong? they r both the same turbos? they went in the same time> i would put a reg in anyways, nothing can go wrong then..... my current setup has a reg on it 2.
Because on a journal bearing turbo (just like the crank on your engine) you need a larger amount of oil to keep a good solid film barrier between the shaft and bearing.

With a ball bearing turbo, the contact between the balls of the bearing and the cage are very minimal and it doesn't need as much oil to keep it lubricated and this is also why a ball bearing turbo is water cooled.

I have no clue as to why your turbo went bad and your bubbies didn't but I would bet that you didn't have good drainage of the oil back into the pan and it coked up.

Quick Reply: white smoke out exhaust