The S2000 Gallery Cornucopia of sight and sound! Show your friends your S2000 photos, S2000 images, S2000 photochops and S2000 videos.

The Captain jumped ship!

Old 03-04-2001, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Captain, congrats on your new ride. Love the yellow! Did you sell the miata?, did you take a big hit?, Do you miss it, even a little bit?. Just curious I don't remember you saying anything about it on that other board. Enjoy the warm weather hopefully coming soon, keith
Old 03-05-2001, 01:35 PM

Yes, I did jump ship after only four months with my new Miata but it had nothing to do with the Miata. I love it and I miss it but the S2000 was the convertible that I originally wanted and have since I first found out about it back in 1995.

I got a great deal on my trade in as it paid it off and I got a great deal on the S2K. Did a 48 month balloon note on it since I am sure that I will want a new one or something else in a couple of years. I'm just car crazy as this is my 15th car in my 18 years of driving.

I am still in my local Miata club, the PR Director in fact, and still enjoy getting together with them even though I get ribbed about it. The new S2000 friends that I have met in our informal gatherings are a great and enthusiastic bunch of people too and we have had some great drives these past few weeks.

As I have said many times, both cars are great on their own merits and I just had to jump on this chance to get an S2000. If this had not come up, I would still be happy in my Miata. In fact, if they make a yellow one next year, I may try to get one if I can afford three cars by then.

I decided not to make a post on the Miata forum because I figured that no matter how I explained it, there would be those who would have to complain and I just didn't want to start anything. Most of the people there would have understood but there are some owners who continue to post negative and untrue things about the S2000 and I get sick and tired of reading about it. The S2000 is fine as an every day driver, it has plenty of low end power to drive around town and pass anyone without having to wind it up. It also has a pretty big trunk, it's comfortable, and the yellow is a major attention getter which is fun. I do hate the crappy stock stereo, the fact that there is no glove box, the plastic back window, and the placement of the power outlet but not every car is perfect.

Since I am still in the Miata club, I will continue to keep up with what is going on in the world of that great little convertible and I will continue to read the forum and post if I feel the need.

Kirk
Old 03-07-2001, 04:13 PM

I know what you mean about the Miata being a great car. I have had two, bought the first one (1990 new ) and later the
1995, after more HP was added. Both never had a repair, only oil changes. I now have the S2000, because I thought it was a Miata with more power, but I find it is harder to drive, rougher riding, and , sorry to say, not as much fun.
I do not race, autocross or anything like that, only drive
on weekends and occassionally to work. But the S2000 seems to have some builtin problems that scare me, probably because it's low production and somewhat of a test car for Honda. I hope I can learn to like the car the longer I have it. Oh well, can always go back to Miata I guess.
Old 03-07-2001, 09:50 PM

Interesting to hear you say this re: the Miata. I actually agree... I've had two Miatas as well, and think they're more fun to drive in any situation other than full out track running.

It's funny, my Dad doesn't believe me, and he's got my 2nd Miata (and loves it).

Scott
'00 S2k
'00 S4
'01 GTI1.8t
Old 03-07-2001, 09:52 PM

Yes, Miatas are a blast and I hope to have one again. The S2000 and Miata are such different cars that I can't really say that I prefer one over the other. The Miata is easier to drive. It is simple, fun, zippy, and I love it for that. On the other hand, the S2000 is a serious sports car that does require more effort but rewards you with power and handling that are fantastic.

Both great cars. Both great convertibles. Two very different cars though which is a good thing. It is nice that we even have these choices along with the Boxster, Z3, MR2 Spyder, SLK, TT, and others.

Kirk