The S2000 Gallery Cornucopia of sight and sound! Show your friends your S2000 photos, S2000 images, S2000 photochops and S2000 videos.

I decided it's time to move on...

Old 10-02-2009, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I decided it's time to move on...

I had to say goodbye to my '07 Silverstone AP2. It's been great owning the car since March 28th, 2007, but the car had issues that couldn't be resolved cheaply. I'm not saying that getting rid of the car and starting a new payment with a newer car was the answer, but I'm happy with my choice.

NOTE: If you actually want to read about my other options, please don't scroll down until the very end. If you'd like to see what I bought instead of reading about my other options/why I didn't opt for the other vehicles, just read on ahead.

Anyway, my S2K had problems that could've been resolved through cash, but I was starting to get sick and tired of having just another silverstone. I see plenty of S2Ks around town, but at least 90% of the ones I see are silverstones. Now don't get me wrong here, I do love the color but it has gotten very bland, imo. I decided it was time to switch over to a car that I'd find more entertaining.
So my dad accompanied me to a trip to the local auto mall where there's a Honda dealership, Nissan, Hyundai, Porsche, Chevrolet, Dodge, BMW, Infiniti, Acura, Mercedes-Benz, Audi, and... Oh, did I say Porsche?
We checked out some of the potential cars that I'd like to drive. Now mind you, I make enough money to pay for at least one car payment and insurance on my own, but I don't have the credit to back up a car purchase; therefore, my dad had to accompany me to check out the other options I had.
My price range? I didn't set one. As long as the car was enjoyable to drive on a daily basis and at least got decent gas mileage, I didn't care.
Anyway, so the old man and I went to the Nissan dealership which was right next to the Honda dealership. We looked at the new 370Z. I it. It looks down right mean and the fact that it's in the same price range-- even after taxes-- as my '07 S2K when it was purchased new just add on to my desire for it. I -ed over the Z like there was no tomorrow... Until I realized that they were all automatics. The only manual tranny one I actually saw was a black one, but I didn't seem to be drawn toward it like I was toward the silver one.
My dad asked, "Why not check out some Audis?" I immediately said, "No, I don't want one." Don't get me wrong, I'd love to own an Audi R8, but that's it... The other Audis are attractive, but I don't want them for some reason. Plus, the only ones I actually thought were "affordable" were the ones I'd hate driving, such as the A4 3.2 Quattro.
We went down to the BMW dealership without any of the dealers bugging us. That's a first. I want an M3 coupe, but after seriously considering--- with my dad offering to help me pay the down payment for it --- I decided that 414 hp as a daily driver wouldn't suit a 19-year-old too well, especially one who is just 2 tickets shy of getting his license revoked for 6 months. I suppose I'm one of the few youngsters who will pass up the chance to own a beastly vehicle not because it's unaffordable, but mostly just because...
I didn't bother looking at any Benzs. I want a manual transmission, so Mercedes' automatic tranny equipped SLK and C-class vehicles didn't seem too appealing. I know the base SLK (280 or 300? ) can be had with a stick, but the fun-to-drive ratio isn't great, at least from what I've read.
Infiniti's G37 S coupe seemed like a good choice, but I knew it'd feel like a boat after daily driving an S2000 for the past year.
Toyota had nothing worth considering...
Hyundai? I didn't seem to be attracted to the Genesis coupe. Plus even the Genesis Coupe Track isn't comparable to an S2K as far as fun-to-drive goes.
Eventually, I decided that my daily driver had to be:
1) Something reasonably priced because though my dad was willing to help me with the down payment, I didn't want to take advantage of his generosity and splurge all my savings into a sub-$60k car;
2) Decent in fuel economy, especially seeing as my daily commute is about 35-40 miles/day, so I don't want to have to stop at a gas station every other day;
3) Decently quick so that I can still enjoy the car without thinking, "Dammit.. I should've gotten something else";
and
4) Fun-to-drive.

Words won't really describe the new ride, so I'll let the pics do the talking...

P.S: You thought I bought a Porsche, huh?
Old 10-02-2009, 09:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

lol good read. .... u dont see that one around much. i see alot of s2k around so-cal but not really any CR
Old 10-02-2009, 09:22 PM

haha surprised with your choice. Man how did you pass out on a M3. Oh well, CR is a close second.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Team1!!111!!!,Oct 2 2009, 09:22 PM
haha surprised with your choice. Man how did you pass out on a M3. Oh well, CR is a close second.
Daily driving an M3 would be like walking around naked.. No matter what, I'd draw attention. I wanted the M3 so badly and almost pulled the trigger, but I know that once the warranty would've expired, maintenance would've been a bitch.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:28 PM

nice upgrade
Old 10-02-2009, 09:30 PM

Nice!! I should trade in mine for a CR.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow, your pop is cool as fwak

nice cr
Old 10-02-2009, 09:46 PM
viK

hahaha you had me. never figured u got a cr

jules has a twin now
Old 10-02-2009, 09:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very interesting story. You got me there for a second. Glad you still own an s2k. I'm on my second one also.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow I didn't see that coming! Nice choice; I love Apex Blue.
And I know what you mean about too many Silverstones.

Quick Reply: I decided it's time to move on...