The S2000 Gallery Cornucopia of sight and sound! Show your friends your S2000 photos, S2000 images, S2000 photochops and S2000 videos.

Miata swap header

Old 07-18-2018, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Miata swap header

And here is the swap as it sits, waiting for an exhaust manifold and some wiring time
alrighty then. As the swap has been slow going, but without hiccups until this point, I have yet to post anything, hoping to do a build thread in one go. However one big roadblock has come up. That being the exhaust. This being my first swap, I put the engine where it wanted to be, and added everything around it. Come to see the header will not clear the subframe. I will post pictures later today, but long header short, I butchered my exhaust manifold. Where the original runners meet in 2to1s has been replaced with a 4-1. The runners where heated and slightly bent to meet here better, and do meet up nicely, however the entire manifold is for sure shorter. As I will be running open exhaust and bypassing the downstream with a resister, what are some real potential issues with this approach? I have only an intake, and Ecu is stock.
Here is the beginning of material being removed for fitment, will post the finished product soon.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:01 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Um, what?

Your poorly worded title had me scratching my head. You are swapping a header on your miata, and want advice in an S forum?

Punctuation matters:

Miata, swap header
Miata swap, header

These mean very different things. Sometimes people don't reply when they don't understand what you ae asking. Your poorly explained post isn't helping your cause either.

Maybe you'll get more replies if people aren't confused about what the heck you are doing and asking.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

That looks like an NA (90-97 Miata) engine bay (pop-up lights motors are visible) with an F-series swap and the OP might be having issues with the exhaust manifold fit?

OP - Not sure if you're looking for installation or tune advice but if so, do a proper tune on the motor once everything is operable. There's been a few shops that have done F-series Miatas. Local to me in SoCal is Indotech Motorsports in Arcadia, CA. Him them up, the owner Alex Tan has a good amount of insight.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:32 PM

Thanks for the replies. I don’t post much (first post), and am not up to speed on grammar. But yes, this is a Miata with a S2000 motor. I understand it will be hard to get feedback as most threads go unread, but I’m looking for suggestions on what a 4-1 shorty header may do to my motors performance
Old 08-02-2018, 05:47 AM

Default New homemade header

Hey guys. I built this header to help fit my motor in a Miata. It’s not pretty but the stock header was not gunna fit. Thoughts?
Old 08-02-2018, 05:52 AM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Welds aint the prettiest but if it works, good fab!
Old 08-02-2018, 08:23 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

You already have a thread about this in the gallery. Why do you need another thread?
Old 08-02-2018, 08:33 AM

Manga_spawn. Please forgive me. I’m new and need to learn the order of operations. How do I bring an old thread back to the top of the forum, so people will see it. Or does that happen when somebody replies on the thread?
Old 08-02-2018, 08:36 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

The thread gets bumped back to the top every time someone replies. If you post an update in that thread it will get moved back up to the top.

Edit merged the threads.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:53 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Hmm good question, my guess is it will be a more peaky powerband. You may lose some area under the curve, not that this motor had much to spare to begin with. There isn't much scavenging time which normally helps evac the gas pulses and build trq and power over the broad rpm range. I'm not an expert in header design, but from what I know, this would be my initial thoughts. Would be interesting to see you dyno this thing and get a graph overlay with a relatively stock S2000. Hopefully you will be tuning this motor with vtec control to get the most out of it. Either way it should be a lot faster then the stock miata engine!

Last edited by s2000Junky; 08-02-2018 at 08:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Miata swap header