The S2000 Gallery Cornucopia of sight and sound! Show your friends your S2000 photos, S2000 images, S2000 photochops and S2000 videos.

Project Cone Killer

Old 04-02-2008, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project Cone Killer

Introducing, the new Panducky Motorsports Autocross Machine!

:runaway:

Well, i guess i may as well start a project thread for my new S... this will be a nice and easy buildup over time, but in the end, it ought to be a pretty fun ride

The day i brought her home:

Some may recognize the car, others may not, but i plan to carry on its time-honored destiny of being a track whore I'm a bit more into autocrossing, but it'll see its fair share of trackdays as well i'm sure... But anyway..

So i bought this car about a month or so ago from Southeastern Honda here in Brevard County. I decided to leave it completely "stock"... or rather, as-bought, for its very first autocross at the BCC campus. Unfortunately one of the rear tires had a flat spot in it (Thanks Scott! ... that wound up saving me thousands on the car deal )... so, i had to borrow a friends rear wheels and tires for driving on, until i could get my new wheels and tires for it (Thanks James!)... Anyway, his tires were a lot smaller than what was on there, so i knew it was going to be even worse.... but i didn't care, i still raced with them

So, the first autocross came up, and i had 8 runs of practice on saturday, and 5 runs on sunday... this was the very first time i had ever pushed this car hard, so i really didn't know howit would handle... add to that, that it has been about 5 years or so since i have actually autocrossed a rwd vehicle, and even at that point, it was a truck, so there really was no comparison... it is a LOT different than a fwd car

The car was all over the track, it was sliding, had no traction when i needed it, and i had to slow down too much to get the car to make the turns... it was just not behaving nicely, and was never really happy about being there.. haha! The suspension was fairly bouncy, and the tires just did not want to adhere to the asphalt at ALL!

However, i was able to finish 4th in BSP, and only 1.453 seconds away from the leader. Considering that he was on WAY better tires, combined with having coilover suspension, and a LOT of actual tracking experience with his S, i was very happy with how i was able to do in my pile :waytogo: Not to mention that he is also the East and West coast BSP champ for 2007 apparently (from what i hear) as well... lol!

With my track baseline in place, it was time to start modifying.

The first thing i wanted to focus on, is the suspension, and then also figuring out the baseline power that it is making.

So, i first took it to the dyno... We visited Gary over at Whites Import Automotive in Rockledge FL, and spent an hour doing some pulls.... the best of which netted the car a pull of 206whp, with 140lb-ft. Not bad for an all stock S2k.

Next up was the suspension. Long ago i had decided what suspension i wanted to run. It would pretty much break the bank, but in the big picture of high performance suspension components, it is actually a bit of a bargain for what you get....

The suspension i went with is a custom set of Moton Club Sports designed specifically for the S2000 by King Motorsports... They offer separate compression and rebound adjustments, with 6 points of adjustment each. The springs we went with are Swift Springs, 10k in front, and 13k in the rear. Scott at King also suggested a super stiff front sway bar, so i wound up going with a 'Gendron Bar' from Small Fortune Racing... i got the Solid version, which is the stiffest one they offer.

It is a siiiick bar. I'll have to get pics of it later, since i installed it when my camera was nowhere to be found... lol! But instead, how about the pics of the Motons?

After taking a BUNCH of pictures of them, and drooling, it was time to install them!

Out with the old crap...

And in with the NEW!

Now that the suspension was more than handled, it was time to worry about making use of the suspension and the baseline power.... that means new rubber is needed When i was shopping for the Motons, it was a decision between buying nice shocks and crappy wheels, or nice wheels and less than ideal shocks.... however, halfway through trying to decide which path would be better, i was able to scrape together afew more pennies, and purchase a set of brand new Volk CE28 wheels in black... they are 17x7.5 in the front, and 17x9 in the rear. The tires i went with are Bridgestone Potenza RE01R's, with 225 in the front, and 255 in the rear... they fit PERFECT!

So there ya have it... for now, thats all that is getting done. I am going to fabricate my own intake for the car, and i'll likely just leave the stock exhaust on there, and i might build a custom high-flow cat for it. Also, i'm looking to do more with the brakes, and install the braided clutch line in the car to go with the braided brake lines...

The next autocross should be lots of fun! I'll still have to dial in the suspension of course, and i'm guessing that will take several autocrosses and even track days to get even close to being 'right'... and i'm HOPING to be able to get it aligned and corner-weighted by this weekend... but thats going to require a trip to Orlando

Ah well, it'll give me an excuse to take the beast on another road trip haha!

Until the next mod, thanks for looking! :waytogo:
Old 04-02-2008, 06:21 PM

nice so far, never seen those coils b4 hows the ride?? cant go wrong with a set of CE's
Old 04-02-2008, 06:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Motons Yummy

Great choice of mods there
Old 04-02-2008, 06:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, Motons, Volks, and RE01r's. I like your style.

Stock tophats? I thought they came with pillowball. What spring rates are you running if you don't mind me asking?
Old 04-02-2008, 06:33 PM

Looks good John!
Old 04-02-2008, 06:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

baller parts! nice indeed!
Old 04-02-2008, 06:42 PM

excellent
Old 04-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Kel

I hear those shocks rule.

Moton magic FTW!
Old 04-02-2008, 06:45 PM

voll: it is an amazing damper... WELL worth the money. And as for how it rides, it is a thing of beauty. It works with the springs so well, it doesn't feel rough and jerky at all like a lot of other aftermarket crap out there is, yet it is still stiff and hardly moves... its amazing what excellent valving can do

eurotrash: Thanks! I thought they came with pillowball as well, but this is fine with me. They DID come with the stand-offs, so if i did get a pillowball bearing and fabricate my own tophat (which i may just do) it'll provide enough length to be able to tighten down on the strut.... as for springrates:
The springs we went with are Swift Springs, 10k in front, and 13k in the rear.

Thanks everyone for the great comments... i'm dyin to see how this whole she-bang works at the autocross. I have a looooong hill to climb to get it all setup right though. Should be a nice learning experience.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:49 PM

Ballin coilovers. Looks good

Quick Reply: Project Cone Killer