S2000 Interiors Stock or totally custom, if it's inside the cabin talk about it here.

After 18 months in Phoenix, the sun is killing my seats, Lexol no longer works...

Old 12-21-2018, 03:24 AM

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnightdennis
I would personally first try the no-cost, friendly suggestions offered here. I don't see a goal or a major benefit (w/o tradeoffs) from throwing money at a magical product and continuously saturating the seats with chemical solutions....but hey, your car/thread after all.

BTW I used to live in Arizona. Also, no such thing as shades that result in no light (especially re: UV rays) getting through. Your link even confirms this.
Hey Midnight, I'm not trying to poo-poo your suggestions. However they won't help any with the lack of conditioning and protection on the actual seats. I'm not looking for a magical product but need to change the way I care for the seats living in Phoenix. Something clearly has changed and I have to adjust my technique.

I don't like tint on my windows so that's out, and regardless if you believe me or not, but the Cee Bailey shades are custom and form fitting, no light gets by them, they fit in two pieces right up against the windshield behind the mirror and the side shades fit snug right into the window cavity, when you close the door it fits like a well tailored suit. Hands down one of the best purchases for the S I have ever made. That being said rolling down the windows an inch or two is also not going to work for a multitude of reasons: The shades now can't be used as they sit int he cavity of the window, sunlight now actually gets in, dust, theft...

Perhaps what I would find beneficial is what products YOU used while living in Arizona?

Thanks.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:30 PM

Bumpity?

No one can make any suggestions on a conditioner product they've used living in Arizona or similar hot weather climate after Lexol no longer works?
Old 01-07-2019, 03:39 AM

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

Just use leatherique
Old 01-08-2019, 08:08 AM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomas Guide
Bumpity?

No one can make any suggestions on a conditioner product they've used living in Arizona or similar hot weather climate after Lexol no longer works?
Isopropyl will strip silicates, clothing dye, oils and conditioner from the leather. Start with a high dilution ratio like 20-30% iso. Once stripped just recondition. You can use Steam as well to pull most of what a 20-30% iso would do.

also yes the Cee Baileys shades are legit. I have a set as well
http://store.ceebaileys.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CS+AUTO+SHADES130
Old 01-08-2019, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Thomas Guide
I don't like tint on my windows so that's out, and regardless if you believe me or not, but the Cee Bailey shades are custom and form fitting, no light gets by them, they fit in two pieces right up against the windshield behind the mirror and the side shades fit snug right into the window cavity, when you close the door it fits like a well tailored suit. Hands down one of the best purchases for the S I have ever made. That being said rolling down the windows an inch or two is also not going to work for a multitude of reasons: The shades now can't be used as they sit int he cavity of the window, sunlight now actually gets in, dust, theft...

Thanks.
Originally Posted by Deckoz

also yes the Cee Baileys shades are legit. I have a set as well
Honda S2000 Convertible 2000 - 2009 Sunshades
Not sure what is so hard to understand that light does get through (albeit small amount) and is even noted on cee baileys website. the stubbornness/ignorance is outstanding....
Old 01-08-2019, 09:59 AM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

Not sure what is so hard to understand that light does get through (albeit small amount) and is even noted on cee baileys website. the stubbornness/ignorance is outstanding....

call me stubborn all you want, its uncalled for. I used to design coral reef aquarium lighting, that you could get a sun burn from standing in front of the tank for too long. I'm well aware of what UV light is capable of. But I can assure you, you won't get a tan or even sun burn sitting in the car with those panels up. Heat stroke, maybe. But if you aren't getting sun burnt, neither are your seats.

Last edited by Deckoz; 01-08-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Deckoz
call me stubborn all you want, its uncalled for. I used to design coral reef aquarium lighting, that you could get a sun burn from standing in front of the tank for to long. Im well aware of what UV light is capable of. But I can assure you, you won't get a tan or even sun burn sitting in the car with those panels up. Heat stroke, maybe. But if you aren't getting sun burnt, neither are your seats.
Thomas was the intended recipient. Included you for the link. Also, not saying the 3% of light that gets in will cause uv light damage to anyone or anything. Rather, the point is to stop ignorance and just note that the light that gets through will produce heat. Which raises the larger issue behind OP's concerns: it's the heat that is causing the dryness. OP wants a silver bullet product that doesn't need to be applied frequently but is apparently OK with keeping the interior hot as hell. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Hot air needs to vent. Hell, a half inch lower would help a lot. End rant. unsubscribing from thread.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:42 AM

Thomas was the intended recipient. Included you for the link. Also, not saying the 3% of light that gets in will cause uv light damage to anyone or anything. Rather, the point is to stop ignorance and just note that the light that gets through will produce heat. Which raises the larger issue behind OP's concerns: it's the heat that is causing the dryness. OP wants a silver bullet product that doesn't need to be applied frequently but is apparently OK with keeping the interior hot as hell. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Hot air needs to vent. Hell, a half inch lower would help a lot. End rant. unsubscribing from thread.
I never asked for a magic bullet, only a suggestion for an alternate product to use as Lexol was no longer working properly. Other members actually made good suggestions and knowledge on cleaning and provided more insight into the fact that the leather is over conditioned. But you're being stubborn by harping on this one little bit that is not important to the thread, who cares if 1.27867% of sunlight gets through, that's not the point of this thread, it's not the point at all. Your ignorance in this is astounding as it's shown by your lack of reading comprehension, as I already explained why cracking the windows open is not an option.

So I don't understand your point in continually insulting people when I was polite, respectful and provided very logical responses to your suggestions That's fine if you want to keep being a douche to people just so you can sound smart to yourself. You've done nothing other then devolved this thread pointlessly.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:12 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,602 Likes on 1,909 Posts

I believe what he's suggesting is that the heat is as much of an issue as the sunlight.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:15 AM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

My S was an Arizona car, a 2009. I picked it up with 30K miles on it when it was 3 years old. The one previous owner had tint installed on the side and back windows. Nothing on the front window. Ceramic tint was not used, it is a high quality tint that has held up really well.

The only issue I found with the leather was a bit of wear on the driver bolster. I found that by changing how I enter and exit the car solved that wear problem. (I sit down 90 degrees to the direction of travel and rotate when I am seated.)
I live in Sacramento which has low humidity (15%) and high temps in the summer (110F) Not very different than Arizona. My leather has held up pretty darn well. I have settled into using Voodoo Garage.

My car is garaged at home, true, but I use a pop up sunshade over the seats when I leave the top down and park. Works well. Of course for "normal" city parking I will put the top up.

Exposure to sun and heat is what you want to defeat. Anything that can block the sun helps. Tint, towels, shades, car covers, garages, trees. If I were you, I would rethink your opposition to tints, especially ceramic tints. Take a look at some of the reviews. Impressive. I am planning on putting it on my FRONT window for its beneficial properties. You can find a shade that hardly darkens anything at all. Try a car cover. I have used them for my airport cars for decades. They tend to last 2 years. I park 12-14 days a month exposed in the sun. Invaluable. (My S is NOT my airport car)

One thing that has not been said so far, is that the leather in our cars is not really leather. The higher end European cars do actually use leather but the high end Japanese made cars use a leather bonded to plastic. It does not readily absorb cleaners and conditioners the way real leather does. I am not talking about the vinyl trimming that looks like leather. I meant the center panels with holes that may lead you to believe it is top grain hide. It is not.

You can go to a better auto upholstery shop and have them remake the seats covers for you using real leather. They can even duplicate the holes in the leather if you want. I just had my MDX front seats redone (all those similar little holes cracked all the way till the foam started to come out) and it looks great. $600 with faux leather.

You can see how dark (or light) the side window tint is. Helps keep prying eyes from seeing to much inside too.

Other pics show drivers and pax seats. 67K miles on the beast.

Quick Reply: After 18 months in Phoenix, the sun is killing my seats, Lexol no longer works...