S2000 Interiors Stock or totally custom, if it's inside the cabin talk about it here.

Dyeing a Clazzio seat cover insert

Old 01-04-2015, 06:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dyeing a Clazzio seat cover insert

Sharing the results of a project I've been working on.

I love my Clazzio seat covers, but the blue insert has always been lighter than I liked. I have a dark blue top and wanted the insert to match that closer than the stock Clazzio color does. Finally getting around to doing something about it after years of having the seat cover...old vs. new dyed original.

The picture shows old vs. new after applying 3 coats of resolene (needs one more coat). The resolene should set and protect the dye so it doesn't rub off. I'll be testing that premise soon.

I'm happy with the result. The navy blue would have been a bit flashy on the entire seat, but it pops nicely within the insert.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

sorry, but that doesn't look very good. it's very uneven and splotchy. you should've taken it to an upholstery shop to have them dyed.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks great, have anymore pictures?
Old 01-07-2015, 04:06 AM

Thanks for the feedback...good and bad. I've looked online to see how other items turned out with this particular color and they have the same sort of spotchy look as the seat so I don't think I messed up badly. Even if I did, I'm cool with the way it turned out and no disappointment from my end.

Here's another pic:

It's really cold (in the negatives, tomorrow double digit negatives) here and I'm waiting for some more dye supplies to finish the other seat. Once I get those, finish the other seat, and it warms up I'll take some pics of the seats installed. Those pics will show the seat better than what I can get in my garage.

You'll notice the coats of resolene made the color deeper and shinier than before. It'll lighten a little and become less shiny with use.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:44 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

Are the seat covers leather?

Photographs can make things look different than they look to the eye. Photos in daylight without shadows usually present the item more realistically.

BTW, the last photo looks fine to me. I like the deep blue. Leather itself is not uniform and at under the Bentley price range usually doesn't dye to a uniform color either. Vinyl can be perfect and is often a way to detect non-leather.

-- Chuck
Old 01-07-2015, 07:39 AM

Thanks Chuck. They're leather and agreed to getting the photos in daylight. To the naked eye the last pic is more accurate when viewing in my garage during the day.

I'm hoping to get those seats back in the car within the next week or two...I'll take some better pix. I have my AP1 front lights being worked on by EuroBoutique as well right now...so I'm timing these updates all together. I'll post up some end result pix once I got it all put back together.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:03 AM

Here's a pic of them installed back in the car. Unfortunately it's still pretty cold out so I can't safely put the top down for a better angle/pic. I'll do that as soon as it warms up. Can't wait for it to get warmer.

As I installed them I had to look very close at them and they look really good for a $30 DYI activity.

In case anyone wants to try this I followed the instructions here: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread....ather-car-seat

A couple of notes/changes from what he has written in his steps:
1) I needed a small bottle of dye (2x total) per seat. It looks like he only used one and not sure how he was able to. I completely used up one bottle to do just the insert and that was 3 coats + towel at the end.
2) Just to be safe I let my seats dry after all the steps were completed for about a week before installing them. That may be more time than is needed, but my car is sitting right now anyway so not a big deal.