S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Meets and Events (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-meets-events-7/)
-   -   First Baltimore/DC area meet (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-meets-events-7/first-baltimore-dc-area-meet-8750/)

Rick Hesel 03-30-2001 07:43 PM

We're driving and checking the route this weekend. Promises to be a pretty drive with some great backroads. Now lets hope for good weather. Thank God we didn't schedule it for this weekend.

jschmidt 03-31-2001 01:38 PM

Man, I'm sorry I'm gonna miss this. Let's try to get on some kind of schedule so I'll be sure not to let my next honeymoon conflict :D

Rick Hesel 03-31-2001 02:47 PM

With the able assistance of Steve Lannon (wake88), who's expecting delivery of his S2000 next month and knows the roads around here, we did a dry run today of our intended course for next week.

Fantastic! You're going to love driving the course we have set up. It's all two lane roads thjrough beautiful countryside, with most the of roads in very good condition but with a wide variety of challenging driving condtions: twisties, undulations, hairpins, sweeping curves, curves with reverse camber, blind hill crests, etc., all of which will be a good test of both driver and car. We're going to stop along the Prettyboy reservoir and dam for a photo opp and a major part of our course winds through that area.

A reminder that we gather at 10:30 AM sharp at my office, 6115 Falls Road, Baltimore, for coffee, bagels, donuts, and some talk, inspections of each other's cars, and quick installations. Each driver will be supplied with a detailed map of the course (in case anyone falls out of the caravan). Steve (my navigator) and I will lead the pack with James Mullins holding up the end (we'll have walkie talkies to communicate with each other so we can keep the group together). We'll have a short debriefing before we head out, between 11:15 and 11:30. Since we have a big group, at least 20 cars most likely and maybe closer to 30, we're not going to go at breakneck speed, although we'd like to maintain a brisk pace so we can enjoy the course to the fullest.

We'll stop for lunch at about 1:30 at the Manor Tavern, a good but reasonably priced country inn. We'll be giving a RSA accessory at lunch to the person who's come the furthest for the meet. I can tell you, based on our experience when we visited the restaurant today, that the knockout receptionist there will make the whole trip worthwhile! You may not want to go home :)

After lunch you'll have the option of a great drive back to my office for a final cup of coffee before you head home or, if you wish, a short cut to I-83 that will get you on your way home right away.

By the way, Steve drove my car for part of the course. He's a great driver and we'll be happy to have him as a fellow S2000 owner.

I'll be emailing everyone tomorrow with a map and directions to my office and final details.

See you next week! We're going to have a blast.

[Edited by Rick Hesel on 04-01-2001 at 08:06 PM]

wake88 04-01-2001 02:25 PM

Originally posted by Rick Hesel
I can tell you, based on our experience when we visited the restaurant today, that the knockout receptionist there will make the whole trip worthwhile! You may not want to go home :)

Lol Rick, you almost had me in tears when I read this! :D

Yes, Rick has been very generous to us all in organizing this event. When we drove the course on Saturday, he had it already plotted out on the map without even having been down the roads before... and what a perfect course! We only had to make one minor change due to bad road conditions. With luck, we will find the same traffic patterns next week as we were seldom stuck behind a slow moving vehicle...errr law abiding driver. :D

For any of you coming to the event that have not seen Rick's car, you are in for a real treat! I hope he was able to wipe off all of my drool that I'm sure covered the car after the drive :eek:. He has done an excellent job adding the finishing touches to the car where Honda left off. From the details under the hood, to all of his snug fitting leather accessories, Rick has truly added an indescribable value to the S2000. It persuaded me to start a list in my head of what I will want (need :D) when my car comes in.

A giant thanks to Rick for all his time and energy he has put into this meet. Hope to see you all there!

Rick Hesel 04-01-2001 04:38 PM

Larry,

Keep that up and you can drive my car any time! :)

KaiWang 04-02-2001 04:31 AM

Count me in!

wake88 04-02-2001 05:38 AM

Originally posted by Rick Hesel
Larry

???

My name is actually Steve! :D:D

Rick Hesel 04-02-2001 07:56 AM

Steve,

Sorry :confused: This is a function of dying brain cells in my old age. My apologies. I did get it right in the early post, didn't I?

Rick Hesel 04-02-2001 07:59 AM

Here are the final details, which I've emailed to everyone who expressed intrest up to last night.

I'm also going to post this as a separate thread.

Date: Saturday, April 7

Rain date: Saturday, April 14 (If rain is threatening, I will email everyone by midnight Friday night if the event needs to be postponed)

Time: 10:30 AM

Starting Place: Lake Falls Professional Building
Suite 101
6115 Falls Road
Baltimore, MD

We