S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

AEM V2 vs AEM CAI + airbox mod?

Old 12-24-2012, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM V2 vs AEM CAI + airbox mod?

Okay, so I searched up for a comparison of these two intakes for the S, but I didn't find much; I think I'm a bad searcher though lol. Anyways, its said on the V2 description that it outperforms the original AEM CAI, but is the difference that big? I mean, I know that intakes don't really do too much on s2k's so I'd assume that the power gains from these two wouldn't be too different. I want to get the original cai because I kind of like the blue colored tube to go with my blue s2k but if the V2 does really perform better, I'd get it. Any input is appreciated!
BTW, some people say that the stock airbox is good enough. I was also thinking of gutting it and putting in a K&N filter. What do you guys think? Intake system or airbox mod?
Old 12-24-2012, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by leoxle
Okay, so I searched up for a comparison of these two intakes for the S, but I didn't find much; I think I'm a bad searcher though lol. Anyways, its said on the V2 description that it outperforms the original AEM CAI, but is the difference that big? I mean, I know that intakes don't really do too much on s2k's so I'd assume that the power gains from these two wouldn't be too different. I want to get the original cai because I kind of like the blue colored tube to go with my blue s2k but if the V2 does really perform better, I'd get it. Any input is appreciated!
BTW, some people say that the stock airbox is good enough. I was also thinking of gutting it and putting in a K&N filter. What do you guys think? Intake system or airbox mod?
I would personally go with the stock airbox. Not much hp to gain honestly with aftermarket intake. If you're looking mainly to improve sound go for it. I have a Samco Air Induction Hose added to my intake with K&N Air Filter. Improves efficiency of air flow, i have felt slightly better throttle response...but not such that impressed me. Hope this helps![:
Old 12-24-2012, 03:15 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The AEM's both provide a boost in performance and the AEM is one of my favorites. It sounds the best as well(I currently run a PWJDM unit though). The original has seen cars have HyroLock issues. Both driving through deep water or after heavy rains where the run off water (channel on driver side between hood and fender) saturated the filter. Do a search. Rare but it does occur. There is an accessory from AEM which will prevent this on a V1(I never had one and never had any issues even in heavy rain. Later pipes have a "duckbill valve" to drain water past the filter. The AEM V2 has a tube in tube design to prevent hydrolock.
AEM is a great CAI and contrary to other opinions will offer a power gain and improved power band...

Utah
Old 12-25-2012, 10:17 AM

Thanks all for the input. I guess I'll go with the original AEM CAI for the blue tubing, since the V2 probably doesn't produce a big difference in power than the original. Unless it starts raining more here in Texas, then I'll go with the V2 since it has the tube in tube design to prevent hydrolock(?)
Old 12-26-2012, 03:31 AM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

You could always get the v2 and have it powdercoated. The first intake I had was the original aem cai. It was a good intake but I was always paranoid about hydro locking. I live in fl though, and it rains often. I know a couple guys out here that have hydro locked motors running cai.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:09 PM

Well I've been doing some searching and apparently because of the V2's upward angle with the filter, hydrolock is more prone with it than the original V1. So I've decided to go with the V1 and just plug the drain hole and build an umbrella for it. I think that will suffice.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a V1, I just built a cover for it out of a $2 plastic flower pot. I DD my car in spring/summer/fall, no issues with sitting in heavy downpour. I generally avoid puddles.