S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Another Berk HFC Review

Old 08-19-2017, 11:38 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Another Berk HFC Review

Hey all,

So I had a 63.5 HFC installed today that is mated to a stock 50mm UK modded cat back. My car was having serious heat soak and bogging issues prior to the install and felt like it had asthma at low RPMs, especially when hot!!! The car is no longer dealing with intense heat soak and feels a lot more lively and eager to rev throughout the power band! Without a doubt the best mod I've done thus far to any car other than a Kpro upgrade to a RSX type S many years ago. The stock cat converter was throwing a CEL and was most likely clogged to the max robbing the car of some power. The exhaust is louder and a little raspy but still sounds nice and sporty! Money well spent and makes the car much more enjoyable to drive!!!
Old 08-20-2017, 08:04 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Rasp should tone down a little once you put some miles on the berk hfc. At least mine did.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by osu1978
Rasp should tone down a little once you put some miles on the berk hfc. At least mine did.
I have about 100 miles on the HFC now and have already noticed the reduction in rasp. Amazing mod very pleased with the improved performance. I'm now considering a light weight exhaust that is a little louder than stock to pair with the 63.5 HFC, suggestions appreciated!
Old 08-20-2017, 01:42 PM

Received 1,128 Likes on 991 Posts

Tanabe Medalion Touring sounds wonderful on my car behind a 63mm Berk High Flow cat. Under 95dBA. The Invidia Q300 this replaced after three weeks -- and that was only because it took a week for delivery from the west coast! -- was over 105dBA which caused ear bleeding. (Exaggeration but not by much.)

Hear any aftermarket exhaust from inside the card before buying. I was assured the Q300 was barely louder than stock -- Not!

-- Chuck
Old 08-20-2017, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Tanabe Medalion Touring sounds wonderful on my car behind a 63mm Berk High Flow cat. Under 95dBA. The Invidia Q300 this replaced after three weeks -- and that was only because it took a week for delivery from the west coast! -- was over 105dBA which caused ear bleeding. (Exaggeration but not by much.)

Hear any aftermarket exhaust from inside the card before buying. I was assured the Q300 was barely louder than stock -- Not!

-- Chuck
I like the looks and reviews of the Tanabe, but I've heard it only saves about 7 pounds, I'm looking for something that will give me at least 15 pounds savings.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:37 PM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

It saves 13 pounds. 41 vs 54.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:00 AM

Received 1,128 Likes on 991 Posts

Skip the diet of cheeseburgers and 15 pounds will go away rapidly.

-- Chuck
Old 08-21-2017, 10:01 AM

Received 1,304 Likes on 987 Posts

So the OP replaced a part that had gone bad, with a new part that is different, and upon noticing a difference in performance, seems to attribute the difference to the fact that the new part is different from the old part?

Isn't it more likely that the difference is because the old part was bad, clogged, and even replacing it with something not as good as the original would have increased its performance?

Not knocking the Berk, I plan to get one and do Flashpro at the same time. Just questioning the conclusions made here...
Old 08-21-2017, 01:58 PM

I mentioned that in the orginal post...reporting that the old cat was likely clogged
Old 08-22-2017, 04:53 PM

Received 1,304 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by klapamos
I mentioned that in the orginal post...reporting that the old cat was likely clogged
Exactly. To paraphrase: (personally I find the reasoning specious)

I am reviewing a performance part. It dramatically improved my cars performance. The old part it replaced was bad, it was clogged. It was probably holding my cars performance back.

But I attribute the performance increase to the superior design of the performance part, not the reduced performance of my car prior to replacing the known bad part.

Quick Reply: Another Berk HFC Review