S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Brake Upgrades

Old 02-05-2009, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Upgrades

A friend of mine is building a S2000 for street Driving/Track Driving...He read a review saying the new 370z goes from 60-0 in 103 feet...So he Measured the stopping distance of his MY04 and got 122 feet from 60-0...His goal is to get the braking distance down as much as possible...I'm assuming money isn't an object with him because he makes a lot of it and loves racing and driving his car...How does he go about doing this...

He has plans to Vortech the car (400RWHP) but would like to get everything else in order first...
Old 02-05-2009, 09:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

big brake kit, better tires, and suspension
Old 02-05-2009, 09:05 PM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

SS lines and a good fluid as well. In my experience the most imortant part of the brake system is a good pad
Old 02-05-2009, 09:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

first thing first, great track brake sucks on the street, great street brake will not hold up on track, please keep them separated.

better braking will require a perfect combination of the following...

1)tires: ultimately the traction comes from the tires making contact to the road, something much sticker and wider

2)brake power: with most abs car more brake torque will benefit the braking distance, higher friction pads, bigger diameter/more brake tq set up(also aids to fading)

3)chassis balance: excessive body motion(body dive) can shift the weight around(also changes if you have R tires), lighter over all weight will shorten distance.

4)brake biases: almost all oem street car are dialed in with alot more front biases, adding more rear(but not overpowering it) will shorten the distance, however it will change the handling and excessive rear biases will lock up the rear(not the best thing to have during a cornering act)

5)condition: a track pad usually works best in higher temperature(another reason why you shouldnt run a hawk blue track pad on the street) vs lower temp on the street. An autocross racer might not benefit with a true track only pad with the limited warm up time vs a road racing dude.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by starchland,Feb 5 2009, 10:05 PM
SS lines and a good fluid as well. In my experience the most imortant part of the brake system is a good pad
SS line will do more in term of feeling(esp on newer model) vs actual distance.

same thing with good fluid(assuming you are talking about high temp dot 4 fluid), they don't make the car stop faster, they just don't boil as fast as dot3 fluid.

to the OP, what kind of racing will your friend be interested in?

alot of BBK will not actually give you a shorter distance, most people get it because they run on track extensively and require a bigger heat sink.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:19 PM

He does a lot of AutoXing and even some tracking at a local track with a lot of us 350Z guys...Even a new 370Z is suppose to start running with us...
Old 02-05-2009, 09:27 PM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

yeah its all part of a complete package.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

upgraded pads, better brake fluid....done. look in the racing and competition forum....pretty much most guys run that. of course tire sizing is up to you.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure but I dont think 60-0 braking distance is everything. I saw a BMI video once where the NSX had one of the worst braking distances but on the track it raped everyone in terms of later braking points and ability. This was against some porsches and 360's I believe. Now I know BMI isn't the best source for info but this info should be somewhat relevant.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:00 PM

I saw the same video a while back...It's def a good topic...Is there anyone with any real world data of how they got their distance down...? I know tire have a lot to do with it but other than that...

Quick Reply: Brake Upgrades